PDA

View Full Version : Pudge or One Dog?

Bobby Thigpen
09-23-2003, 10:01 AM
If you could've time warped a player from the past to help this year's team win the division, who would it be? I would've picked one of these two, with the ultimate edge going to Lance Johnson. I think he would've looked great in the leadoff/center role. That also would've allowed KW to go out and get a fifth pitcher at the break instead of Everett.

Any thoughts?

Procol Harum
09-23-2003, 10:14 AM
Good question, BT. Of the two you mention, I would've opted for Fisk because this team could have used some of his attitude, and it would have nicely filled the Olivo/S. Alomar hole in our lineup. On the other hand, I don't think I'd relish adding another 45 minutes to every Sox game when he was behind the plate. :(:

From a longer-range view of having my choice of time-machining any former Sox player back--that's a toughie. Overall, I think our biggest need was someone who could hit for average and just stinkin' get on base and break up our profile as a homer-or-nothing team. For that reason, don't suppose you could do much better than reaching deep into Sox lore and bringing back "Ol' Aches & Pains," Luke Appling. Second choice, on that same score, Eddie Collins.

idseer
09-23-2003, 10:19 AM
i'd still go for pitching. but i'll only choose from players in the past i've seen. otherwise maybe i'd have to choose ed walsh.
so i'd want billy pierce. give me the staff that can keep you in every game and hope you can dig up enough offense to win most of them.

dickallen15
09-23-2003, 10:29 AM
Its interesting you mentioned Lance Johnson. Hawk was ripped for his stint as GM. Maybe deservedly,maybe not. He got ripped for firing some long-term scouts, the same scouts who the year before drafted Kurt Brown, one spot ahead of Barry Bonds. But back to Lance Johnson. Hawk was ripped for trading Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon. DeLeon was eventually sent to St. Louis for One Dog. Considering Bonilla was a Rule 5 pick up the Sox made out pretty well with that set of events.

faneidde
09-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Lance Johnson would have fit perfectly with this team. A great center fielder with a ton of heart and the ability to make things happen on the bases.

Dadawg_77
09-23-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by dickallen15
Its interesting you mentioned Lance Johnson. Hawk was ripped for his stint as GM. Maybe deservedly,maybe not. He got ripped for firing some long-term scouts, the same scouts who the year before drafted Kurt Brown, one spot ahead of Barry Bonds. But back to Lance Johnson. Hawk was ripped for trading Bobby Bonilla for Jose DeLeon. DeLeon was eventually sent to St. Louis for One Dog. Considering Bonilla was a Rule 5 pick up the Sox made out pretty well with that set of events.

Long term scouting is a joke. I would take Black Jack in his prime. We would have won the division with that staff. Fisk would be a close second, a good catcher at and behind the plate.

harwar
09-23-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Dadawg_77
I would take Black Jack in his prime.

Who knows how far we would have gone in '93 if Jack McDowell hadn't had that thing about not being able to pitch against toronto.

fuzzy_patters
09-23-2003, 12:23 PM
I will cheat and take two players. I want Ventura over Crede and Baines over Konerko. That gives us two powerful left-handed bats as well as two clutch hitters. Furthermore, they are a big upgrade statistically over Crede and Konerko. Perhaps the most important aspect is that these two lefties would make it much more difficult for an opposing manager to match up lefty-lefty or righty-righty with his bullpen. I imagine a lineup like this...

2B Roberto Alomar
LF Carlos Lee
1B Frank Thomas
3B Robin Ventura
RF Magglio Ordonez
DH Harold Baines
CF Carl Everett
SS Jose Valentin
C Miguel Olivo

Notice how the alternating lefties and righties would make it nearly impossible for an opposing manger to use his bullpen. I've always felt that was the best way to construct the heart of your lineup.

RichH55
09-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by idseer
i'd still go for pitching. but i'll only choose from players in the past i've seen. otherwise maybe i'd have to choose ed walsh.
so i'd want billy pierce. give me the staff that can keep you in every game and hope you can dig up enough offense to win most of them.

You can never have enough pitching

LuvSox
09-23-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
You can never have enough pitching

Ted Lyons

thepaulbowski
09-23-2003, 01:05 PM
How about a manager...Tony LaRussa

LuvSox
09-23-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
How about a manager...Tony LaRussa

Pants Rowland or Kid Gleason

pudge
09-23-2003, 01:15 PM
If you want to fill the CF hole, how about taking Joe Jackson?

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 01:24 PM
Considering the fact the White Sox have lost TEN games this season where they had the lead in the 7th inning or later due to an inconsistent bullpen the answer is obvious:

Hoyt Wilhelm.

With the doctor you win eight of those ten blown games and have the divisional title. The man was unhittable.

Lip

jortafan
09-23-2003, 01:32 PM
If we're digging into the past, I'd want Minnie Minoso.

Of course, I suspect that even in his current state (70-something years old), he probably still has more of a winning, aggressive spirit than most of the clowns currently playing ball on the South Side.

Ol Aches & Pains
09-23-2003, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
[B], don't suppose you could do much better than reaching deep into Sox lore and bringing back "Ol' Aches & Pains," Luke Appling. B]

My sentiments exactly.

TommyJohn
09-24-2003, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Bobby Thigpen
If you could've time warped a player from the past to help this year's team win the division, who would it be? I would've picked one of these two, with the ultimate edge going to Lance Johnson. I think he would've looked great in the leadoff/center role. That also would've allowed KW to go out and get a fifth pitcher at the break instead of Everett.

Any thoughts?

I'm going back and grabbing THREE players: Gary Peters, Joel
Horlen and Tommy John.

ScottyTheSoxFan
09-24-2003, 03:58 PM
warren newson

FISK!

davenicholson
09-24-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
I'm going back and grabbing THREE players: Gary Peters, Joel
Horlen and Tommy John.
Tommy!

Wow, I couldn't have come up with three better choices myself! On the other hand, if you were to also include Juan Pizarro, you could DH for the catcher's spot (Olivo) twice every rotation by letting Peters and Pizaro bat for themselves!

Or, you could being back me, Dave Nicholson, and watch me try to break the single season strikeout record!

akingamongstmen
09-24-2003, 07:56 PM
Fisk...he wouldn't have let this team go down as quietly as it did. He would have let each and every player know exactly how he felt about them choking at crunch time. Plus, he probably would've have had a great influence on the pitching staff (possibly enough to overcome Manuel's outright stupidity).

That said, Dan "The Hammer" Pasqua would've been great.

DirtySouthsider
09-24-2003, 09:17 PM
If you were looking for a CF with speed wouldn't you want Rudy Law over Lance Johnson???

Bobby Thigpen
09-25-2003, 10:25 AM
I don't know, I just came up with this idea last Saturday as I sat in the upper deck watching the season come to a depressing end. This whole year I've thought that Johnson would have looked great with this team in particular. Especially after the addition of Alomar. I was always a big fan of One Dog. Besides like I said, if the Sox had Lance they wouldn't have had to get Everett and would've been able to go out and get a guy like Ponson as a fourth or fifth starter. This would have been their lineup and rotation if I could master time travel.

CF- Johnson
2b- Alomar
DH/1b- Frank
Rf- Maggs
Lf- Carlos
Dh/1b- Pauly
SS- Jose
3b- Crede
C- Olivio

SP- Colon
Sp- Buehrle
Sp- Loazia
Sp- Ponson (or other pickup)
Sp- Garland

Defensively, offensively, and pitching wise that looks pretty darn good to me. And to be quite honest I can't really remember back to far. I was only 6 when the 83 team was making a run for it. Heck at that age I was a Bengals fan because the had the coolest helmets in football. :smile: