Capacity: 45,936
Dimensions: LF 330, CF 400, RF 335
Surface: bluegrass
Architect: unknown
Cost: $20 million (renovation)
Contractor: unknown
Owner: Illinois Sports Facilities Authority
Style: open air

The state agency that owns US Cellular Field has approved the sale of $45 million worth of bonds for field renovations. The bonds will be paid back with a state hotel tax and a $5 million payment the stadium gets from the City of Chicago. The White Sox say their plans for renovation will be released in months.

After completing "Phase I" (renovating the outfield walls, adding a batter's eyes and a restaurant), "Phase II" (Upgrading scoreboard and video boards plus adding a party deck) it only seems appropriate that they move onto "Phase III". In this round of renovations set to start after the 2003 season, the White Sox will upgrade the outfield and upper-deck concourses. This will cost about $20 million.

They are also kicking around the idea of building a home run porch in the outfield to replace some of the seats.

© 2003 Paul Healey.

Viva Magglio
09-23-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
In [Phase III] of renovations set to start after the 2003 season, the White Sox will upgrade the outfield and upper-deck concourses. This will cost about $20 million.

They are also kicking around the idea of building a home run porch in the outfield to replace some of the seats.

© 2003 Paul Healey.

Didn't the Sox already do this part of Phase III?

BeerHandle
09-23-2003, 09:30 AM
That is what I thought, but the article says otherwise. The article is from the end of August. I know this off season is not suppose to have major renovations (i.e. upper deck and home run porch).

Has anyone heard anything else?

BeerHandle
09-23-2003, 01:51 PM
I have an email to the Director of Development of ISFA. Hopefully this guy will clear everything up and release some information.

I like the park, but agree improvements are always good. The one thing that would help out would be some good bars and restaurants in the neighborhood (very, very close to the park). People always say it is not like the Wrigley neighborhood. Well, it will never be as intimate because of our large parking lots. I think a few good establishments would help out!

WinningUgly!
09-23-2003, 02:07 PM
I'm ready for phase IV (upgrading the players & manager).

KingXerxes
09-23-2003, 02:21 PM
I'm ready for "Money Pit Night" at the ballpark. Think of it, you start a huge bonfire in center field and as the fans sit and watch, men start throwing bushels of cash on the fire, while the crowd roars its approval. Then an army of Brinks trucks burst through the outfield fence, and men jump out and start heaving the contents of their trucks into the blazing inferno (which now spreads across the entire playing surface). By this point, the sky will be darkened with helicopters - all loaded to the gills with newly printed C-notes which will hover above the flames and dump untold millions into it. By this point, the flames will be reaching the upper deck, and most of the fans will have beat it out of there from the heat.

:reinsy

"Great idea, if the State doesn't supply the cash, well then we'll just have our "Money Pit Night" somewhere else..............I swear I mean it..................I'm not bluffing this time."

ChiSoxBobette
09-23-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!
I'm ready for phase IV (upgrading the players & manager).

Now Yer Talkin.

BeerHandle
09-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Didn't the Sox already do this part of Phase III?

Viva:

You are correct. The bozo that wrote the article was 100% incorrect. I just received an email from a guy at ISFA (those that own US Cellular Field). I have included his email to me. I plan to email him back to find out when plans will be released to the public.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bryan:

The work you describe below was completed before the 2003 season. Future renovation plans have not been finalized.

Dan Polvere
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BeerHandle
09-24-2003, 01:50 PM
This is my last post on this topic. Obviously you can tell I'm very curious about future renovations. See the email below from Dan at ISFA. He is the Director of Development and Facilities.

From: "Dan G. Polvere" <dan@isfauthority.com> | This is spam | Add to Address Book
To: bryan@beerhandle.com
Subject: RE: Future Renovations
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:52:56 -0500

Sorry, I cannot discuss the plans still in development. There should be some news within the next month or so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A.T. Money
09-24-2003, 02:14 PM
This is my last post on this topic. Obviously you can tell I'm very curious about future renovations. See the email below from Dan at ISFA. He is the Director of Development and Facilities.

From: "Dan G. Polvere" <dan@isfauthority.com> | This is spam | Add to Address Book
To: bryan@beerhandle.com
Subject: RE: Future Renovations
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 12:52:56 -0500

Sorry, I cannot discuss the plans still in development. There should be some news within the next month or so.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rats!

I emailed my season ticket rep. I'm going to see if they know anything.

BeerHandle
09-24-2003, 02:31 PM
Maybe your rep will have something. I checked with mine and she had nothing.

A.T. Money
09-24-2003, 02:36 PM
Maybe your rep will have something. I checked with mine and she had nothing.

What are the initials of your rep?

BeerHandle
09-24-2003, 05:02 PM
J.S.