PDA

View Full Version : Ed Sherman Sox Column


Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 12:42 AM
Radio TV critic Ed Sherman of the Tribune has just come out with a personal column on this year's White Sox.

Apparently he's a long time fan and would be most welcome at WSI. here is a part of it.

"In nearly 40 years of following the Sox, I never can remember having our emotions mangled so badly. Our spirits have been broken.

We all thought the Sox had a chance this year. Surely they had enough talent to overcome the early underachieving and Jerry Manuel's wacky moves. Hey, Ken Williams got us Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett, the kind of players serious contending teams get.

Then came Minnesota last week. It was over, just like that. No runs, no hits, no heart.

It seems every time the Sox have an opportunity to get the city excited about them, they come up flat.

Funny isn't it that a newspaper owned by the Cubs has so many Sox fans on the staff...Sherman, McGrath, Vandenburg, Sullivan, Isaccson....what about that "conspiracy theorists?"

Also in a separate story in the Tribune it's reported that Williams is going with the team to Kansas City. The story says it's possible he'll fire Manuel even before the Sox get back to Chicago.

Lip

WhiteSox = Life
09-23-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Also in a separate story in the Tribune it's reported that Williams is going with the team to Kansas City. The story says it's possible he'll fire Manuel even before the Sox get back to Chicago.

One can only hope. :cool:

soxtalker
09-23-2003, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Also in a separate story in the Tribune it's reported that Williams is going with the team to Kansas City. The story says it's possible he'll fire Manuel even before the Sox get back to Chicago.

Lip

Well, I certainly have thought for awhile that JM should be axed, but doesn't it seem a bit melodramatic and almost cruel to do it in KC? It needs to be done soon, but what purpose does it serve to do this immediately after the last out of the season is recorded?

ode to veeck
09-23-2003, 01:59 AM
but doesn't it seem a bit melodramatic and almost cruel to do it in KC?

make an example outta the sucker!

thepaulbowski
09-23-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Well, I certainly have thought for awhile that JM should be axed, but doesn't it seem a bit melodramatic and almost cruel to do it in KC? It needs to be done soon, but what purpose does it serve to do this immediately after the last out of the season is recorded?

I agree...Hopefully they will fire Manuel, but they need to be Kosher about it. We know how this club can handle things like releasing/firing people (Ex. Fisk), but finish the season first. As soon as the last game is over and he is back in Chicago he should get the infamous "we need to talk."

jortafan
09-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Funny isn't it that a newspaper owned by the Cubs has so many Sox fans on the staff...Sherman, McGrath, Vandenburg, Sullivan, Isaccson....what about that "conspiracy theorists?"


From my personal contact with reporters in Chicago, it appears that the ones who actually grew up in the Chicago area root for the White Sox (even the ones who grew up North Side). It's the ones who come from out of town and adopt Chicago as their home who treat trips to Wrigley Field as being part of the urban experience, and who rarely (if ever) venture south of Roosevelt Road.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 09:59 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Radio TV critic Ed Sherman of the Tribune has just come out with a personal column on this year's White Sox.

Apparently he's a long time fan and would be most welcome at WSI. here is a part of it.

"In nearly 40 years of following the Sox, I never can remember having our emotions mangled so badly. Our spirits have been broken.

We all thought the Sox had a chance this year. Surely they had enough talent to overcome the early underachieving and Jerry Manuel's wacky moves. Hey, Ken Williams got us Roberto Alomar and Carl Everett, the kind of players serious contending teams get.

Then came Minnesota last week. It was over, just like that. No runs, no hits, no heart.

It seems every time the Sox have an opportunity to get the city excited about them, they come up flat.

Funny isn't it that a newspaper owned by the Cubs has so many Sox fans on the staff...Sherman, McGrath, Vandenburg, Sullivan, Isaccson....what about that "conspiracy theorists?"

Also in a separate story in the Tribune it's reported that Williams is going with the team to Kansas City. The story says it's possible he'll fire Manuel even before the Sox get back to Chicago.

Lip

Lip, when Chicagoans are treated to a column as insightful about the plight of Sox Fans as this one, I will join you in praising the "Sox Fans" at the Cubune who clearly have no clue.

Why are we still waiting for something like this from the Cubune? (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24811)

Stop with the conspiracy nonsense. It's not a conspiracy, it's just plain incompetence. A significant portion of the Cubune's readership feels disenfranchised, the story is directly under their nose, and they completely miss it. Then they turn around and claim they are Sox Fans, too? LMAO!

The Cubune is a joke, and this latest episode only underscores the point. Hooray for Ed Sherman!

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
Well, I certainly have thought for awhile that JM should be axed, but doesn't it seem a bit melodramatic and almost cruel to do it in KC? It needs to be done soon, but what purpose does it serve to do this immediately after the last out of the season is recorded?

Sometimes it's actually easier to do it away from home and avoid all the publicity. I am sure JM doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions and neither do the Sox.

Holding a press conference in Chicago the day after the season ends would be adding fuel to the fire.

Better a whimper than a bang, IMO...

soxtalker
09-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Sometimes it's actually easier to do it away from home and avoid all the publicity. I am sure JM doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions and neither do the Sox.

Holding a press conference in Chicago the day after the season ends would be adding fuel to the fire.

Better a whimper than a bang, IMO...

Good points. All of the national media (and, of course, the local media if the Cubs are in the playoffs -- or even if they just miss them) will be focused on the upcoming playoffs.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Sometimes it's actually easier to do it away from home and avoid all the publicity. I am sure JM doesn't want to answer a bunch of questions and neither do the Sox.

Holding a press conference in Chicago the day after the season ends would be adding fuel to the fire.

Better a whimper than a bang, IMO...

In today's Cubune, Teddy G. says Williams confirmed he will be traveling with the team to KC this weekend. Manuel may not make it back to Chicago as Sox manager. Williams isn't revealing anything about his intentions.

Generally you want to fire a manager when it will generate the least amount of publicity. With the playoffs set to begin next Tuesday, terminating Manuel early next week would have the added benefit of forcing the media to change the subject to their coverage of playoff baseball games. Stringing out Manuel for endless days wouldn't be fair or humane either.

Earlier I guessed the announcement would be next Monday. Now it might be moved up a day? We'll see...

:?:

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
In today's Cubune, Teddy G. says Williams confirmed he will be traveling with the team to KC this weekend. Manuel may not make it back to Chicago as Sox manager. Williams isn't revealing anything about his intentions.

Generally you want to fire a manager when it will generate the least amount of publicity. With the playoffs set to begin next Tuesday, terminating Manuel early next week would have the added benefit of forcing the media to change the subject to their coverage of playoff baseball games. Stringing out Manuel for endless days wouldn't be fair or humane either.

Earlier I guessed the announcement would be next Monday. Now it might be moved up a day? We'll see...

:?:

Interesting question... Has Manuel already been informed that he woin't be back? Maybe they are just letting him finish out the string now that it no longer matters. If so, then he has already been fired and they are just waiting to make the announcement...

bobj4400
09-23-2003, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
The story says it's possible he'll fire Manuel even before the Sox get back to Chicago.

Lip



PLEASE, OH PLEASE, BE TRUE.

bobj4400
09-23-2003, 12:44 PM
Originally posted by jortafan
It's the ones who come from out of town and adopt Chicago as their home who treat trips to Wrigley Field as being part of the urban experience, and who rarely (if ever) venture south of Roosevelt Road.


ie. Moronotti

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 01:42 PM
George:

Just so you know I sent that Ratto section to my media associates yesterday.

Lip

PaleHoseGeorge
09-23-2003, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
George:

Just so you know I sent that Ratto section to my media associates yesterday.

Lip

I'm glad to hear it. I hope it opens some eyes. Sorry, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

:(: