PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to thank Captain Buffoon aka Bud Selig:

ChiSox14305635
09-22-2003, 11:07 PM
For his assistance in costing the White Sox a playoff shot. I know all the teams get the same type of opponents over the course of the year. But you know the playing field ain't leveled when:

You give one team every pennant contender (and outside of KC, we all knew these teams would be fighting for the right to play in October) during the 2nd half, yet give the *favorite* every also ran & cellar dwellar (and they knew all of these teams would be near the bottom, and they didn't disappoint) team during that same half. Also, during interleague play, it was nice that the Sox had to travel to Arizona & LA, yet their division rival welcomed Colorado & San Diego. Once again, on one side; 2 pennant contenders, on the other, 2 teams fighting to stay out of last place.

Don't get me wrong. The Sox had every opportunity to beat up on these creampuff teams in the 1st half and failed miserably. But to watch this team play stellar baseball (except for one crucial series that I don't want to get into) and have to watch while your rival gets to continue playing simply by beating 100 loss teams down the stretch. Yeah, I know it sounds like whining; but honestly; I don't give a rat's fill-in-the-blank.

jabrch
09-22-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
For his assistance in costing the White Sox a playoff shot. I know all the teams get the same type of opponents over the course of the year. But you know the playing field ain't leveled when:

You give one team every pennant contender (and outside of KC, we all knew these teams would be fighting for the right to play in October) during the 2nd half, yet give the *favorite* every also ran & cellar dwellar (and they knew all of these teams would be near the bottom, and they didn't disappoint) team during that same half. Also, during interleague play, it was nice that the Sox had to travel to Arizona & LA, yet their division rival welcomed Colorado & San Diego. Once again, on one side; 2 pennant contenders, on the other, 2 teams fighting to stay out of last place.

Don't get me wrong. The Sox had every opportunity to beat up on these creampuff teams in the 1st half and failed miserably. But to watch this team play stellar baseball (except for one crucial series that I don't want to get into) and have to watch while your rival gets to continue playing simply by beating 100 loss teams down the stretch. Yeah, I know it sounds like whining; but honestly; I don't give a rat's fill-in-the-blank.

That's a copout...Selig has nothing to do with this. We stunk when it counted, head to head, vs Minnesota. You want to blame someone, blame Paulie. Blame Mags. Blame Frank. Blame Manuel. Blame Crede. Blame Jose. Blame the starters. But this isn't Selig's fault...no way - no how.

idseer
09-23-2003, 09:45 AM
not to mention the sox play 7 out of their last ten games with a team that lost 100 games the previous year.

you'll have to find something else to blame.

kittle42
09-23-2003, 09:52 AM
Yeah, blaming the schedule is kinda silly.

Jerko
09-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Yeah, the schedule didn't come out yesterday. Maybe if you know that the defending division champions play the last month of the season vs. the Tigers, you should not be pissing away games all of April, May, and June.

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2003, 10:53 AM
The Sox lost 5 of 7 to the Twins. That is why they will not win the division.

harwar
09-23-2003, 11:02 AM
The White Sox lost the division race because somewhere deep inside there is something wrong..something wrong with a team that completely and totally falls apart for the biggest 2 series of the year.
That being said,i absolutely hate the unbalanced schedule and i miss playing all the other AL teams an equal amount of time.I think its just plain stupid to play 19 games against your division foes and hardly ever see the rest of the AL.

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Originally posted by harwar
The White Sox lost the division race because somewhere deep inside there is something wrong..something wrong with a team that completely and totally falls apart for the biggest 2 series of the year.
That being said,i absolutely hate the unbalanced schedule and i miss playing all the other AL teams an equal amount of time.I think its just plain stupid to play 19 games against your division foes and hardly ever see the rest of the AL.

I completely disagree. Play more games against teams that matter most - your division opponents.

fuzzy_patters
09-23-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I completely disagree. Play more games against teams that matter most - your division opponents.

I only agree with you if we eliminate interleague and wild cards. Strength of schedule should not influence the playoff races.

steff
09-23-2003, 12:18 PM
OMG.. I've seen it all now.

TDog
09-23-2003, 12:48 PM
I see a problem with the schedule, but indirectly.

The real problem is that teams are allowed to disappear late in the season. In fact, many people in baseball encourage it. When the trade deadline was set at June 25, teams were generally set, for better or worse, for the season. There were a few late waiver moves, but teams didn't divest the way the Pirates or Reds have. It's to the point where sports columnists complain when teams out of contention hold on to their players. When the Sox lost 106 games in 1970, they claimed Steve Hamilton off waivers with hopes of improving their team, although they had no chance of winning anything. The economics have changed, of course, but the pennant races would have more integrity if there were limited late-season player movement.

This relates to the schedule because you know that when you have the Yankees scheduled for September, you will be facing a legitimate team. If you have a small-market, perennial non-contender on the schedule, you don't know what you're going to get.

Set your roster in April. Adjust it in May and early June. That should be your team, pretty much. The way baseball is set up now, you've got a sort of late season arms race that tends to favor the richest teams.

idseer
09-23-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by TDog
I see a problem with the schedule, but indirectly.

The real problem is that teams are allowed to disappear late in the season. In fact, many people in baseball encourage it. When the trade deadline was set at June 25, teams were generally set, for better or worse, for the season. There were a few late waiver moves, but teams didn't divest the way the Pirates or Reds have. It's to the point where sports columnists complain when teams out of contention hold on to their players. When the Sox lost 106 games in 1970, they claimed Steve Hamilton off waivers with hopes of improving their team, although they had no chance of winning anything. The economics have changed, of course, but the pennant races would have more integrity if there were limited late-season player movement.

This relates to the schedule because you know that when you have the Yankees scheduled for September, you will be facing a legitimate team. If you have a small-market, perennial non-contender on the schedule, you don't know what you're going to get.

Set your roster in April. Adjust it in May and early June. That should be your team, pretty much. The way baseball is set up now, you've got a sort of late season arms race that tends to favor the richest teams.

that's a real good point. there should be limitations from at least midway on.

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by idseer
that's a real good point. there should be limitations from at least midway on.

Change the trade deadline to the AS break or 6/30. It will be tougher for teams to give up that early in the season and justify it to their fan base.

Lip Man 1
09-23-2003, 05:38 PM
The trade deadline used to be June 15th through the mid 80's. That's why the Sox got Julio Cruz on that date, it was move now or never.

Lip

ChiSox14305635
09-23-2003, 11:05 PM
Just as a followup from yesterday, I posted this mainly out of frustration. Under a clear perspective I know the Sox lost this all on their own. Just mad as all get up that when they found their 2nd wind, Minnesota was able to keep a steady pace with also rans. And when it counted last week, the Twinkies showed up and the Sox didn't. End of story, plain and simple.

However, I don't change my opinion of Selig. He's still a buffoon.