PDA

View Full Version : Sox/Twins 'what-ifs'

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2003, 02:18 PM
Assuming everything else remained the same, here's how the standings would like had the Sox not totally tanked the 3-game series in the Baggydome:

If the Sox had swept:

Sox 84-71
Twins 84-72

If the Sox won 2:

Twins 85-71
Sox 83-72

If the Sox won 1:

Twins 86-70
Sox 82-73

So, taking the best-case scenario above, the Sox would still only be 1/2 game in first, with 3 games against the Yanks and 4 against the Royals, while Minnesota has 4 against the Tigers and 2 against Cleveland.

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Even if the Sox kicked ass in Minny, they'd probably still come up 2-3 games short.

voodoochile
09-22-2003, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Assuming everything else remained the same, here's how the standings would like had the Sox not totally tanked the 3-game series in the Baggydome:

If the Sox had swept:

Sox 84-71
Twins 84-72

If the Sox won 2:

Twins 85-71
Sox 83-72

If the Sox won 1:

Twins 86-70
Sox 82-73

So, taking the best-case scenario above, the Sox would still only be 1/2 game in first, with 3 games against the Yanks and 4 against the Royals, while Minnesota has 4 against the Tigers and 2 against Cleveland.

Puts things in perspective, doesn't it? Even if the Sox kicked ass in Minny, they'd probably still come up 2-3 games short.

You are assuming they would have continued to mail it in against KC if they had been in first coming out of that series. I don't think that is the case at all.

Iwritecode
09-22-2003, 02:32 PM

If the Sox had swept:

Sox 84-71
Twins 84-72

If the Sox won 2:

Twins 85-71
Sox 83-72

If the Sox won 1:

Twins 86-70
Sox 82-73

I'd still rather be 1/2 game in first than 3 1/2 out...

To quote Vin Diesel: "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, wining's wininng."

hold2dibber
09-22-2003, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
I'd still rather be 1/2 game in first than 3 1/2 out...

To quote Vin Diesel: "It doesn't matter if you win by an inch or a mile, wining's wininng."

Wow - I can't believe Vin Diesel just got quoted on the board. Gotta be a first. And hopefully a last!! :D:

cheeses_h_rice
09-22-2003, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
You are assuming they would have continued to mail it in against KC if they had been in first coming out of that series. I don't think that is the case at all.

I missed Saturday's game, so I can't speak about that. Yesterday, Garland just didn't have it; the Sox were so far out of it by the 4th that it became a "mail it in" type game. I'm not all that convinced the Sox would have played much better had the Twins series gone differently.

Deadguy
09-22-2003, 03:18 PM

I tend to agree. Getting swept on the road by a good team is bound to happen at some point during the season.

However, losing 9 games to one of the worst teams ever is simply unacceptable for any team that hopes to go to the playoffs.

mike squires
09-22-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Deadguy
I tend to agree. Getting swept on the road by a good team is bound to happen at some point during the season.

However, losing 9 games to one of the worst teams ever is simply unacceptable for any team that hopes to go to the playoffs.

Are you talking about the Tigers or the first three games to start off the season against the royals. :D:, wait I mean :whiner: