PDA

View Full Version : SF Chronicle Article on Sox Fans

davenicholson
09-22-2003, 02:09 PM
I actually found this story (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2003/09/19/SPGM81QBRR1.DTL) by Ray Ratto of the SF Chronicle posted by a fellow Sox fan on a Blackhawks fan board. Ratto essentially ridicules Giants fans for calling themselves "long-suffering", compares them with the self-promoting "lovable loser" image of the Cubs and Red Sox, but then talks about The Noble Sox Fan: Give me a White Sox fan any day. There's a team that has hosed its fans more completely than nearly any other, and that includes two terms under the best and most fan-friendly owner in history, Bill Veeck. Do you hear them whining endlessly about how God wants them to suffer? Do they bore you with tales of Shoeless Joe Jackson, or Luke Appling, or Wild Bill Dietrich, and how each one has cursed them from beyond the grave? Do they go on and on about Arnold Rothstein and Charlie Comiskey and Chick Gandil and how they robbed their great grandfather of a two-day bender back in '19? Of course not. They say, "The Sox? They stink. Another beer over here, Hap.'' They don't long-suffer, and if they do, they don't do it loud enough for the rest of the neighborhood to hear. And they've known circles of hell you've never even driven through on your way to the company picnic

So we got that goin' for us, which is nice.

maurice
09-22-2003, 02:11 PM
Nice catch.

Gunga-lagunga-dunga.

MisterB
09-22-2003, 02:36 PM
Do you hear them whining endlessly about how God wants them to suffer?

He's obviously never been to WSI... :D:

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2003, 02:45 PM
Originally posted by MisterB
He's obviously never been to WSI... :D:

I've heard Lip assert that the gods hate the White Sox, but most of the bitching and moaning around here is your garden variety "damn our luck" variety.

Ratto is right to note the obvious difference between fans who wear the badge of losing on their shirt sleeves (Giants, Red Sox, Lovable Losers) and Sox Fans who hate it, curse it, and expect no quarter for being served heaping bowlfuls of it.

Read the WSI Manifesto (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm) . I bet Ratto already has. His column is the closest I've seen yet that gets to the nub of the matter. Good for him!

:gulp:

davenicholson
09-22-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I've heard Lip assert that the gods hate the White Sox, but most of the bitching and moaning around here is your garden variety "damn our luck" variety.

Ratto is right to note the obvious difference between fans who wear the badge of losing on their shirt sleeves (Giants, Red Sox, Lovable Losers) and Sox Fans who hate it, curse it, and expect no quarter for being served heaping bowlfuls of it.

Read the WSI Manifesto (http://whitesoxinteractive.com/Columnists/Bova/Welcome.htm) . I bet Ratto already has. His column is the closest I've seen yet that gets to the nub of the matter. Good for him!

:gulp:
My thoughts exactly, PHG. You hit it right on the head when you mention, as does the Manifesto, that we hate to lose, as opposed to fans of some other teams. I especially like the line in the column about the Sox having "robbed our grandfathers of a two-day bender in 1919" (although my grandfather had just arrived in this country in 1919 :gulp: ).

soxtalker
09-22-2003, 04:04 PM
Beautiful article -- I hope that one each of the Chicago and Boston papers pick it up and reprint it.

RKMeibalane
09-22-2003, 04:08 PM
Nice article. Though I doubt the Chicago media will find it to be of interest.

FoulkeFan
09-22-2003, 04:31 PM
This article cheered me up. I must be truly warped by 20+ years of being a Sox fan.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-22-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by davenicholson
My thoughts exactly, PHG. You hit it right on the head when you mention, as does the Manifesto, that we hate to lose, as opposed to fans of some other teams. I especially like the line in the column about the Sox having "robbed our grandfathers of a two-day bender in 1919" (although my grandfather had just arrived in this country in 1919 :gulp: ).

It is the true measure of how completely ****ed we Sox Fans are that an opinion column this insightful about our outlook and attitude would be published for a local audience in San Francisco--practically as far away from Chicago as possible and utterly invisible to a national audience, too.

I've been waiting my entire life for the "Sox Fans" running the Cubune sports department to get to the nub of the matter as this outsider from San Francisco got it. So much for being the self-proclaimed "Voice of the Midwest," eh? I've given up hoping for the utterly clueless idiots at ESPN, The Sporting News, or Sports Illustrated to get it right, too. And as for the Cub-Times... well they employ Jay Mariotti. Nuff said. The less said the better about the vapid and ignorant viewpoints on sportsblab radio, both local and national.

If we didn't have White Sox Interactive, we wouldn't have ****. Furthermore, nobody would give a damn either. This Ratto column hits that point square on the head.

Bisco Stu
09-22-2003, 10:38 PM
Ah, Ray Ratto's just a fat contrarian, although good to see him acknowledge the Sox. I actually missed that article out here.

Sorry, Ray, but this Sox fan has been cursed and long-suffering since 1976.

GoSox2K3
09-23-2003, 08:39 AM
The SF Chronicle has a positive article about Sox fans? Hmmmm, sounds like they are ripe for a hostile takeover by the Tribune Company!