PDA

View Full Version : Sox could influence not one but two divisional clinchings

Viva Magglio
09-22-2003, 11:09 AM
Not only would the White Sox influence the Twins clinching the AL Central by losing (and Minnesota losing), a White Sox loss would also clinch the AL East for the Yankees whose magic number is one. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

This is when I think the White Sox need to make a statement. When the inevitable elimination occurs, I think that is when Kenny Williams calls Jerry Manuel into his office and gives him the "We're going in a different direction..." speech. Do it then, not September 29. Let Nossek run the team the rest of the way and bring in Tony LaRussa in 2004.

shane
09-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
Not only would the White Sox influence the Twins clinching the AL Central by losing (and Minnesota losing), a White Sox loss would also clinch the AL East for the Yankees whose magic number is one. Talk about killing two birds with one stone.

This is when I think the White Sox need to make a statement. When the inevitable elimination occurs, I think that is when Kenny Williams calls Jerry Manuel into his office and gives him the "We're going in a different direction..." speech. Do it then, not September 29. Let Nossek run the team the rest of the way and bring in Tony LaRussa in 2004.

I know LaRussa is a highly respected man, but it seems like everytime they get to an important game, everyone is talking about a game of chess between him and the other manager, and he alway loses the game of chess on a bonehead move. Do we really want someone like him here? He did good in the AL, so maybe he could do some good things here, but I see him being way too stuck on himself to ever get it done again. If Dierker gets fired from Houston, how does LaRussa keep a job in St. Louis? Honestly, now would be a good time to go after him, because I live in Cardinal country, and the fans don't have near the respect for him that the ESPN staff has.