PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Free Agents?

fledgedrallycap
09-22-2003, 10:36 AM
Does anyone have a list or link of unrestricted free-agents for this upcoming off-season?

BeerHandle
09-22-2003, 05:09 PM
Here is a list of 2004 MLB Free Agents. Who do you like on this list and who would you like to see in a Sox uniform? Who do you think is feasiable to see in a Sox uniform?

Pitchers:
Kevin Milwood, RHP, 29*
Sidney Ponson, RHP, 27*
Bartolo Colon, RHP, 29*
Livan Hernandez, RHP, 29*
Kirk Rueter, LHP, 33*
Andy Pettitte, LHP, 32*
Pedro Astacio, RHP, 34*
Randy Johnson, LHP, 41*
Danny Graves, RHP, 31*
Keith Foulke, RHP, 31*
Kelvim Escobar, RHP, 28*
Scott Sullivan, RHP 33*
Armando Benitez, RHP, 31*
Eddie Guardado, LHP, 34*
Mike Williams, RHP, 34*

Infield:
Javy Lopez, C, 33*
Luis Castillo, 2B, 29*
Fernando Vina, 2B, 35*
Roberto Alomar, 2B, 38*
Craig Biggio, 38*
Miguel Tejada, SS, 28*
Rich Aurilia, SS, 33*

Outfield:
Jose Cruz, 0F, 30*
Vladimir Guerrero, OF, 28*
Shannon Stewart, OF, 30*
Mike Cameron, 0F, 31*

Have I missed anyone? What do you think?

MRKARNO
09-22-2003, 06:17 PM
Well obviously this is a short list because you left off Gary Sheffield

RichH55
09-22-2003, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by BeerHandle
Here is a list of 2004 MLB Free Agents. Who do you like on this list and who would you like to see in a Sox uniform? Who do you think is feasiable to see in a Sox uniform?

Pitchers:
Kevin Milwood, RHP, 29*
Sidney Ponson, RHP, 27*
Bartolo Colon, RHP, 29*
Kirk Rueter, LHP, 33*
Andy Pettitte, LHP, 32*
Pedro Astacio, RHP, 34*
Randy Johnson, LHP, 41*
Danny Graves, RHP, 31*
Keith Foulke, RHP, 31*
Kelvim Escobar, RHP, 28*
Scott Sullivan, RHP 33*
Eddie Guardado, LHP, 34*
Mike Williams, RHP, 34*

Infield:
Javy Lopez, C, 33*
Luis Castillo, 2B, 29*
Fernando Vina, 2B, 35*
Roberto Alomar, 2B, 38*
Craig Biggio, 38*
Miguel Tejada, SS, 28*
Rich Aurilia, SS, 33*

Outfield:
Jose Cruz, 0F, 30*
Shannon Stewart, OF, 30*
Mike Cameron, 0F, 31*

Im pretty sure Randy Johnson isnt a FA

Hullett_Fan
09-22-2003, 06:33 PM
Colon and Livan Hernandez or Millwood

Luis Castillo or Rich Aurillia to play SS

Alomar at 2B

Jose Cruz in CF (didn't I say that before 2003 season??)

:gulp:

hold2dibber
09-22-2003, 06:35 PM

Pitchers:
Kevin Milwood, RHP, 29*
Sidney Ponson, RHP, 27*
Bartolo Colon, RHP, 29*
Kirk Rueter, LHP, 33*
Andy Pettitte, LHP, 32*
Pedro Astacio, RHP, 34*
Randy Johnson, LHP, 41*
Danny Graves, RHP, 31*
Keith Foulke, RHP, 31*
Kelvim Escobar, RHP, 28*
Scott Sullivan, RHP 33*
Eddie Guardado, LHP, 34*
Mike Williams, RHP, 34*

Infield:
Javy Lopez, C, 33*
Luis Castillo, 2B, 29*
Fernando Vina, 2B, 35*
Roberto Alomar, 2B, 38*
Craig Biggio, 38*
Miguel Tejada, SS, 28*
Rich Aurilia, SS, 33*

Outfield:
Jose Cruz, 0F, 30*
Shannon Stewart, OF, 30*
Mike Cameron, 0F, 31*

Oddly, the guys on that list who appeal to me most (among those who realistically could come here) include Colon, Sullivan, Robbie Alomar and Mike Cameron. I also like Luis Castillo. Of course, with each of them, the key is how much will they cost? For instance, I like Cameron's defense and he has enough pop in his bat so that he can be a good guy to have on the team. His range in center would help make up for the lack of range that CLee and Maggs have. But I still wouldn't pay him a ton, because he puts up Jose Valentin-like numbers; some homers, but not a heck of a lot else (though he steals bases, too).

And the list is missing a TON of players (off the top of my head, Tom Gordon, Carl Everett, Juan Gonzalez, Rafeal Palmiero, David Ortiz (I think), Mike Lowell, Brett Tomko, Robert Fick, Marquis Grissom, Fred McGriff (I think), Robin Ventura, Kenny Lofton, Kenny Rogers, Andy Pettite, Roger Clemens, David Wells, Matt Stairs, Wilson Alvarez (I think), Greg Maddux, Pat Hentgen, Omar Vizquel (I think), and many more).

hold2dibber
09-22-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Hullett_Fan
Colon and Livan Hernandez or Millwood

I'm nervous of career national leaguers, particularly career national leaguers who have a reputation for being fat and lazy and who just so happen to have a good year just before free agency (Hernandez). I do like Milwood a lot, but I don't think he's worth $10 million/year for 4 years. If the market for guys like Colon and Milwood (real good, but not dominant) starters is in that ballpark, then the Sox are not going to be in on that action. On the other hand, if the market for those guys is 3 years at approx. $7 mm per year, it could happen (though not likely).

Luis Castillo or Rich Aurillia to play SS

Any reason to think Castillo can handle short? He's always played 2B to my knowledge. And Aurilia is done - I wouldn't be interested in him.

Alomar at 2B

I'd like to see him back, too, assuming not for big money and not for more than 2 years.

Jose Cruz in CF (didn't I say that before 2003 season??)

How is he defensively? I think I'd rather have Cameron.

ma-gaga
09-23-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
How is he defensively? I think I'd rather have Cameron.

Cameron is going to get more than $8MM per year. Nothing wrong with him as a player, but he's going to be paid.

:)

jabrch
09-23-2003, 12:55 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
Cameron is going to get more than $8MM per year. Nothing wrong with him as a player, but he's going to be paid.

Well...Cameron is a career .250 hitter. I know we get acustomed to those guys here, but if we have any FA money to spend (and I don't believe we do past trying to resign our own guys) I'd like to see if we can get a leadoff hitter in CF who has a higher average/obp.

hold2dibber
09-23-2003, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by ma-gaga

Not a chance in hell of that happening. I'll be absolutely shocked if Cameron does better than $4 mm per year. He will be 31 years old when next season starts, he is a career .249 hitter, strikes out a ton, has had over 80 RBIs exactly once, and his power is waning (only 17 HRs this year). He is a damn good defensive CF and he gets on base at a decent clip (.340-ish), but there's no way anyone is going to give him an $8 mm/year deal. Jose Cruz Jr. brought a relatively similar pedigree to the table last off season (a little younger, not as good defensively but more power) and got a one year $2.5 mm deal with a $4.0 mm mutual option. I think Cameron might be able to do a little bit better than that, but not much - I'm guessing a 2 or 3 year deal at about $3 mm/yr.

34 Inch Stick
09-23-2003, 11:44 AM
Is Grudzielanik a free agent? He has done a nice job with the Cubs at 2B and hit lead off for them a good portion of the season.

RichH55
09-23-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Is Grudzielanik a free agent? He has done a nice job with the Cubs at 2B and hit lead off for them a good portion of the season.

Be wary of guys who "step" in up in a contract year after playing like crap before that...also be wary of Cubs 2B..>Eric Young, Mickey Morandini, Delino Deshields?

JRIG
09-23-2003, 01:04 PM
Not a chance in hell of that happening. I'll be absolutely shocked if Cameron does better than $4 mm per year. He will be 31 years old when next season starts, he is a career .249 hitter, strikes out a ton, has had over 80 RBIs exactly once, and his power is waning (only 17 HRs this year). He is a damn good defensive CF and he gets on base at a decent clip (.340-ish), but there's no way anyone is going to give him an $8 mm/year deal. Jose Cruz Jr. brought a relatively similar pedigree to the table last off season (a little younger, not as good defensively but more power) and got a one year $2.5 mm deal with a $4.0 mm mutual option. I think Cameron might be able to do a little bit better than that, but not much - I'm guessing a 2 or 3 year deal at about $3 mm/yr.

I've done a complete 180 on Cameron. I think he's a much better player than I used to. He's probably the second best defensive centerfielder in baseball, and his offensive stats are absolutely crushed by playing in Safeco. His road hitting numbers are great. I think Cameron is actually one of the more underrated players in baseball right now. Three years ago I wouldn't believe I would ever utter that statement.

Does that mean I'd want him on the Sox? No, I don't think so. But if he signs somewhere other than Seattle next year I think you'll see a pretty big spike in his numbers.

ma-gaga
09-23-2003, 01:19 PM
Not a chance in hell of that happening. I'll be absolutely shocked if Cameron does better than $4 mm per year. He will be 31 years old when next season starts, he is a career .249 hitter, strikes out a ton, has had over 80 RBIs exactly once, and his power is waning (only 17 HRs this year). He is a damn good defensive CF and he gets on base at a decent clip (.340-ish), but there's no way anyone is going to give him an $8 mm/year deal.

Good thing there's no such thing as 'park effects'. Check out his road splits over the last couple of years. This year it's 0.274/0.363/0.444, in 2001 he was sick on the road. The guy is extremely underrated because of Safeco Field. Tell me that if he moves to Texas, he doesn't start mashing the ball.

The biggest reason that he get's paid, is because Seattle doesn't have a backup plan to him. Maybe that Snelling kid, but I'm not sure what happened to him once he got hurt. Anyways, he'd be a great addition to any team that needs a defensive outfielder. I'd be absolutely shocked if he doesn't get that money from Seattle or Texas. Besides, I have some precedence too. Darrin Erstad, 4 years $32MM. Torii Hunter, 4 years $32 MM.

Mike Cameron, 4 years, $32MM. Book it. :D:

TDog
09-23-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Well...Cameron is a career .250 hitter. I know we get acustomed to those guys here, but if we have any FA money to spend (and I don't believe we do past trying to resign our own guys) I'd like to see if we can get a leadoff hitter in CF who has a higher average/obp.

Imagine how much weaker his recent stats would look if he hadn't played against the Sox.

voodoochile
09-23-2003, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Imagine how much weaker his recent stats would look if he hadn't played against the Sox.

I was just thinking how Cameron might post a 1.5+ OPS if he played at USCF for a couple of years. Of course he wouldn't be facing Sox pitching so who knows...

ChiSoxBobette
09-23-2003, 02:42 PM

Pitchers:
Kevin Milwood, RHP, 29*
Sidney Ponson, RHP, 27*
Bartolo Colon, RHP, 29*
Kirk Rueter, LHP, 33*
Andy Pettitte, LHP, 32*
Pedro Astacio, RHP, 34*
Randy Johnson, LHP, 41*
Danny Graves, RHP, 31*
Keith Foulke, RHP, 31*
Kelvim Escobar, RHP, 28*
Scott Sullivan, RHP 33*
Eddie Guardado, LHP, 34*
Mike Williams, RHP, 34*

Infield:
Javy Lopez, C, 33*
Luis Castillo, 2B, 29*
Fernando Vina, 2B, 35*
Roberto Alomar, 2B, 38*
Craig Biggio, 38*
Miguel Tejada, SS, 28*
Rich Aurilia, SS, 33*

Outfield:
Jose Cruz, 0F, 30*
Shannon Stewart, OF, 30*
Mike Cameron, 0F, 31*

It would really be nice to steal Eddie Guardado away from the twins(would that send them a message)I would love to keep Bartolo but if not what about picking up Ponson or Hernandez. If were not going to bring back Robbie Alomar I'd love Castillo or Biggio playing 2nd base especially Castillo. Hey how about we bring back Mike Cameron to play CF especially when it seems we have no confidence in Aaron Rowand. If, god forbid; we lose Maggs or Frank how about getting Vladimar Guerrero to play RF/DH.
Hay a guy can dream can't he.

Go White Sox!

KingXerxes
09-23-2003, 03:02 PM
Does anybody on this thread really hold out any HOPE that we'll get better through free agency? Certainly not by signing a big name. The M.O. of this organization has been to either pick guys up off the scrap heap (Loiaza comes to mind) or to trade for them in their last year of a contract (Colon, Everett, Alomar, Ritchie, Wells etc.). I really don't hold out any great hopes in signing some top notch pitcher in the off season. My guess is that they'll simply try and deal to get some sort of serviceable veteran, and maybe pick up somebody who has no intention of signing a longer deal with his present team.

Paulwny
09-23-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
My guess is that they'll simply try and deal to get some sort of serviceable veteran, and maybe pick up somebody who has no intention of signing a longer deal with his present team.

It's a tough call, you can only do this so many years and then the roof falls in, ala Bill Veeck.

KingXerxes
09-23-2003, 03:25 PM
I know - and that's kind of what they've been doing.

lowesox
09-23-2003, 05:07 PM
I say we go out and get a top-notch manager, re-sign Robbie, Sullivan and Flash. Then get a serviceable CF (who could bat near the bottom of the order, play defense and steal bases), a good starter to replace Colon (since he was realistically only a couple games better than .500), and a number 5 type guy.

I would also seriously consider trading Loaiza since I think his season was a total fluke.

Randar68
09-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
I say we go out and get a top-notch manager, re-sign Robbie, Sullivan and Flash. Then get a serviceable CF (who could bat near the bottom of the order, play defense and steal bases), a good starter to replace Colon (since he was realistically only a couple games better than .500), and a number 5 type guy.

#5 type guy? Who have you been following, the Yankees?

Originally posted by lowesox
I would also seriously consider trading Loaiza since I think his season was a total fluke.

Unfortunately, with this last couple weeks, so will everyone else. Meaning, you won't get jack for him. By contrast, should he happen to pitch anywhere close to what he did this year, he's still a bargain.

SoxxoS
09-23-2003, 07:19 PM
J.R./Kenny Williams would rather give up players to get players, rather than pay free agents.

So, I am not anticipating anyone on that list.

Randar68
09-23-2003, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
J.R./Kenny Williams would rather give up players to get players, rather than pay free agents.

So, I am not anticipating anyone on that list.

HUH? Were you sleeping when JR signed Albert Belle? How about Navarro? They signed Loaiza as a FA. Tom Gordon? Rick White? Sandy Alomar Jr?

Daver
09-23-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
HUH? Were you sleeping when JR signed Albert Belle? How about Navarro? They signed Loaiza as a FA. Tom Gordon? Rick White? Sandy Alomar Jr?

:jaime

Hey Randar,you forgot me!

Randar68
09-23-2003, 08:16 PM
Originally posted by Daver
:jaime

Hey Randar,you forgot me!

:gulp: