PDA

View Full Version : Mgmt needs to make a statement on Sept 29

Bisco Stu
09-21-2003, 08:49 PM
and fire JM. That we're not going to tolerate mediocrity. Keep the core of the team together, add the necessary components, hire Wally Backman or at least someone with a knack for details and the White Sox will be postseason bound in 04.

MHOUSE
09-21-2003, 08:56 PM
I have a bad feeling that management will make some bad moves this offseason. Not just KW, but I think Reinsdorf will stick it to us by not signing guys or free agents and Kenny might try another blockbuster that won't work out. Just little moves will improve this team, not a big overhaul.

Nick@Nite
09-21-2003, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
and fire JM. That we're not going to tolerate mediocrity. Keep the core of the team together, add the necessary components, hire Wally Backman or at least someone with a knack for details and the White Sox will be postseason bound in 04.

Agree. Let's hope Commissar Reinsdorf doesn't cram another Soviet-styled 5-year rebuilding plan down everyone's throat.

Also, I don't advocate sending JM to the gulag... just to baseball's gulag (Montreal?).

dickallen15
09-21-2003, 10:21 PM
I'm hoping that the fact that the White Sox average almost 30,000 fans the last 50 dates will send a message that if they put a good team together people will come. I'm afraid it won't mean a thing. This team was mediocre, which every Sox team since 1994 has been, with 1 exception. Look for the truck to be backed up, but reinforcements not brought in. I believe they will choose the safe route and rebuild instead of re-tool. You don't have to be that great to have a good record in this division. 38 games against Cleveland and Detroit, its a crime the White Sox don't win at least 95 games.

gosox41
09-21-2003, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I have a bad feeling that management will make some bad moves this offseason. Not just KW, but I think Reinsdorf will stick it to us by not signing guys or free agents and Kenny might try another blockbuster that won't work out. Just little moves will improve this team, not a big overhaul.

With KW at the helm, bad moves are always a possiblity. But based on what I've been hearing, the Sox are not going through another rebuilding phase and should have a higher payroll then this year.

Bob

RKMeibalane
09-22-2003, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by gosox41
With KW at the helm, bad moves are always a possiblity. But based on what I've been hearing, the Sox are not going through another rebuilding phase and should have a higher payroll then this year.

Bob

At this point, the Sox cannot afford another rebuilding phase. Their minor system is extremely thin on talent. Jeremy Reed is the only reliable prospect at any level. Borchard is coming dangerously close to being labled a bust, and I have yet to see anything from Rauch or Corwin Malone that tells me either one will be a significant contributor in the near future.

The Sox need to make a last-ditch effort to win now, with the core group they currently have, because they won't get another chance for a long time.

soxtalker
09-22-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
At this point, the Sox cannot afford another rebuilding phase. Their minor system is extremely thin on talent. Jeremy Reed is the only reliable prospect at any level. Borchard is coming dangerously close to being labled a bust, and I have yet to see anything from Rauch or Corwin Malone that tells me either one will be a significant contributor in the near future.

The Sox need to make a last-ditch effort to win now, with the core group they currently have, because they won't get another chance for a long time.

I agree with your assessment of the minor league system, but not the conclusions. We did make a last-ditch effort to win this year, and it only depleted our minor league system more. (Let's not debate the quality of those traded right now. I agree that some of those traded won't pan out, but some will.) At some point we have to bite the bullet and restock our minor league system. That's usually done through smart drafts and trading aging veterans for prospects. When can we "afford another rebuilding phase" like this?

Jerko
09-22-2003, 10:43 AM
Management could have made a statement last Friday. As JM is walking to the plate to a chorus of boos to turn in what seems like his 3,293rd different lineup card, the mini UPS truck that brings out the ball for the first pitch could have had me in there with a package for JM containing his pink slip, firing him before a sellout crowd (and a full stadium too). That did not happen, so fan appreciation day would have been a good day for it. What better way to show the fans you appreciate them than firing JM that very day? I am not even convinced "he gone" after this season. My stomach hurts now just typing this.