View Full Version : Maket Value?

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:05 PM
What do people think the market value is on Jose Vidro....just wondering

JRIG
09-21-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

I'll tell you this much -- I'd pay more for Jose Vidro than I would for Tejada. I would imagine someone's going to pay Tejada somewhere around $10 million a season, so I guess Vidro would get around $8 million.

Just a guess. The days of the $14 million contracts are over, I think.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I'll tell you this much -- I'd pay more for Jose Vidro than I would for Tejada. I would imagine someone's going to pay Tejada somewhere around $10 million a season, so I guess Vidro would get around $8 million.

Just a guess. The days of the $14 million contracts are over, I think.

I'm tending to agree with you...though I think Vidro will be more in the 5 million dollar range...maybe up to 7 tops

Daver
09-21-2003, 06:26 PM
The FA market will probably be more dismal this offseason than it was last offseason.I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tejada accepted arbitration from the A's.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by Daver
The FA market will probably be more dismal this offseason than it was last offseason.I wouldn't be at all surprised if Tejada accepted arbitration from the A's.

Care to guess a number on Vidro's contract then?

MRKARNO
09-21-2003, 06:38 PM

Do you think a this might aid the sox?

Daver
09-21-2003, 06:40 PM
Care to guess a number on Vidro's contract then?

Vidro will make 7 mil next year,he is under contract for the 2004 season.

Daver
09-21-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
Do you think a this might aid the sox?

It might help them as far as re-signing some of their own FA's.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:42 PM
Vidro will make 7 mil next year,he is under contract for the 2004 season.

Good point

JRIG
09-21-2003, 06:43 PM
Good point

So my guess of $8 million was pretty darn close. Good. :smile:

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
So my guess of $8 million was pretty darn close. Good. :smile:

MY guess of 7 million tops, wasnt bad either :)

Win1ForMe
09-21-2003, 06:48 PM

I agree, the market for free agents won't be as good as it has been in the past. But I think the top guys, the really top-tier free agents, will still get their money. Especially Tejada because teams will pay (and over-pay) to have power from a generally weak hitting position. He'll get $9 million somewhere. Vlad probably somewhere around $14-15M (that's why the Sox should give him a call and trade Maggs to replenish the farm system).

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
I agree, the market for free agents won't be as good as it has been in the past. But I think the top guys, the really top-tier free agents, will still get their money. Especially Tejada because teams will pay (and over-pay) to have power from a generally weak hitting position. He'll get $9 million somewhere. Vlad probably somewhere around $14-15M (that's why the Sox should give him a call and trade Maggs to replenish the farm system).

I definately like the Vlad idea...but I don't know how vaible it is.....And I think Tejada getting 9 million would mean a depressed market...If it were 3 years ago he would be starting conversations at 15 million....Vlad should be interesting to watch, especially because I don't think the NY markets can plausibly be involved which could hamstring his agents attempts to get top dollar

bc2k
09-21-2003, 07:44 PM

Rich, I didn't know you were raised in Boston. (Title of thread).

Lip Man 1
09-21-2003, 08:45 PM
One thing to remember when trying to place value on any Expo player is the ramifications of the players recently voting to NOT allow MLB to have the Expos play in both Montreal and San Juan next season.

According to reports MLB warned the players that if they did not vote to accept the MLB proposal, the other owners would have no choice but to cut payroll meaning Guerrero, Hernandez, Vasquez and Vidro might not be with the club.

The players voted against it anyway unless THEY got some concessions in writing. MLB is not willing to put things in writing at least right now.

A feeding frenzy for the top players in Montreal could drive up prices higher then expected. (and drive those players right into the arms of the Yankees...)

Lip

Daver
09-21-2003, 09:00 PM
Vidro is under contract,they would have to pay him even if they cut him.

I doubt that the Expos inability to sign any of them would affect the FA market excepot to make even more dismal for the rest of the FA's,the owners have shown their hand,they are not going to get in a bidding war for anyone's services,hell Greg Maddux was forced to accept arbitration last year for lack of any FA market.

The foundation has been laid for another labor war in 2007.

Win1ForMe
09-21-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

A feeding frenzy for the top players in Montreal could drive up prices higher then expected. (and drive those players right into the arms of the Yankees...)

Why would the Yankees have a better chance for those players then any other team? It doesn't make sense...they're all under contract with the exception of Vlad. Any team can trade for them if it provides prospects and accepts sallary.

StillMissOzzie
09-22-2003, 12:42 AM
Vidro is under contract,they would have to pay him even if they cut him.

I doubt that the Expos inability to sign any of them would affect the FA market excepot to make even more dismal for the rest of the FA's,the owners have shown their hand,they are not going to get in a bidding war for anyone's services,hell Greg Maddux was forced to accept arbitration last year for lack of any FA market.

The foundation has been laid for another labor war in 2007.

I couldn't agree more, Daver. The revenue sharing that they agreed to was laughable. The small market teams still came out of the gate talking about cutting payroll. The Yankees still spend like a drunken sailor on shore leave, and King George won't be outbid for anyone he really wants. Not enough got solved, the real problems fester, and the next BPA could be a long-fought battle. Keep your eye on the NHL after this season, and see if the MLB owners don't pick up some resolve if the NHL lockout makes for no hockey for a while.

SMO
:gulp:

RichH55
09-22-2003, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
Rich, I didn't know you were raised in Boston. (Title of thread).

Touche....How about we say I doing that "to be like Gammons" and then both look the other way?:)

RichH55
09-22-2003, 01:43 AM
One thing to remember when trying to place value on any Expo player is the ramifications of the players recently voting to NOT allow MLB to have the Expos play in both Montreal and San Juan next season.

According to reports MLB warned the players that if they did not vote to accept the MLB proposal, the other owners would have no choice but to cut payroll meaning Guerrero, Hernandez, Vasquez and Vidro might not be with the club.

The players voted against it anyway unless THEY got some concessions in writing. MLB is not willing to put things in writing at least right now.

Lip

Like Colon?

RichH55
09-22-2003, 01:45 AM

Lip

Soriano 2B Yankees
Vlad = No New York (Baltimore?)
Livan = 6.5 million in a time of depressed baseball economics
Vasquez would certainly be nice

And if the Expos need to cut salary that ='s younger players/prospects....we have those and our GM has a good history with dealing with Montreal....Seems to me a firesale in Montreal would be in our favor to hope for

RichH55
09-22-2003, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by Win1ForMe
Why would the Yankees have a better chance for those players then any other team? It doesn't make sense...they're all under contract with the exception of Vlad. Any team can trade for them if it provides prospects and accepts sallary.

Shush!

Remember the sky is falling and you aren't even allowed to provide a hardhat via your facts!