PDA

View Full Version : Paul Konerko = Chris Zorich?

RichH55
09-21-2003, 05:50 PM
Guys "Chicagoans" can identify with.

Neither overly athletic

Neither helping the team overall to the level to justidy keeping them around, but good people

Both active in the community

Both good quotes, so beloved by the media

I'd love to have a team full of good people, but winning is first and foremost and you don't get extra points for being a good guy(Unless we are talking about Kirby Puckett and the HOF)

hose
09-21-2003, 06:00 PM
Konerko- guaranteed contract.

Zorich- had to make team each training camp in order to get paid.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by hose
Konerko- guaranteed contract.

Zorich- had to make team each training camp in order to get paid.

True...but my point is that their percieved value was greater than their actual value

RKMeibalane
09-21-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
I'd love to have a team full of good people, but winning is first and foremost and you don't get extra points for being a good guy(Unless we are talking about Kirby Puckett and the HOF)

It's interesting that you should choose Kirby Puckett as a point of comparison. Ever since his induction into the HOF, several negative stories about him have come out. Some have labled him as one of the biggest frauds in recent memory.

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I do know that Puckett isn't what many have made him out to be.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
It's interesting that you should choose Kirby Puckett as a point of comparison. Ever since his induction into the HOF, several negative stories about him have come out. Some have labled him as one of the biggest frauds in recent memory.

I'm not sure if I agree with that, but I do know that Puckett isn't what many have made him out to be.

Agreed totally....but that was all post HOF, so he still got the bonus points for being a "good story"...the same bonus points that Zorich and now Paulie are using to their benefit, and our detriment

hose
09-21-2003, 06:26 PM
I think Paulie does have the ability to help the Sox win. He was on the All-Star team last year and put up some pretty decent numbers in the first half. He did play injured in the second half and his production dropped way off. Konerko followed up with a lousy first half and caught fire after the All-Star game this year. I think he is viewed as a" potential" All-Star or at least a 30 homer and 100 rbi guy. Remember Eric Burns was a potential All-Star this year, so don't read to much into that.

Zorich was the guy everybody was pulling for to succeed. Ditka loved the intensity that Zorich brought to the practices and games. Chris just didn't have the physical size to play a down lineman in the NFL and wasn't fast enough to make the switch to play line backer.

The problem with comparing their values is that baseball has it's fans figuring out salaries and contracts instead of just ability. The NFL is in the process of following MLB and making accountants out of their fans also.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by hose
I think Paulie does have the ability to help the Sox win. He was on the All-Star team last year and put up some pretty decent numbers in the first half. He did play injured in the second half and his production dropped way off. Konerko followed up with a lousy first half and caught fire after the All-Star game this year. I think he is viewed as a" potential" All-Star or at least a 30 homer and 100 rbi guy. Remember Eric Burns was a potential All-Star this year, so don't read to much into that.

Zorich was the guy everybody was pulling for to succeed. Ditka loved the intensity that Zorich brought to the practices and games. Chris just didn't have the physical size to play a down lineman in the NFL and wasn't fast enough to make the switch to play line backer.

The problem with comparing their values is that baseball has it's fans figuring out salaries and contracts instead of just ability. The NFL is in the process of following MLB and making accountants out of their fans also.

I think Football made accountants of fans years ago...even more so than baseball.....

Everyone is pulling for Paulie too, but I he has yet to ever put a full good year together, and his "best" doesnt justify his contract...

I did a payroll analysis, and assuming no Colon or Konerko and the raises due guys(and adding 5 million for another SP) we are around 66....thats pretty high, and with Paulie you are going to be approaching 80, which I don't see happening.....66-70 seems doable to me

39thandWallace
09-21-2003, 10:25 PM
I like both of these guys but, come on I'm sick of losing. I would trade Konerko in a heartbeat for a Pujols or Thome.
Konerko runs like a 80 year old man.
For God's sakes Thomas is faster than him.

Nick@Nite
09-21-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace
I like both of these guys but, come on I'm sick of losing. I would trade Konerko in a heartbeat for a Pujols or Thome.

Pujols and Thome are stratosphere material, well beyond PK's value.

PK for Edgar Renteria would be nice... St. Louis has soon to be 36 year old Tino Martinez they could move, making room for soon to be 28 year old Paul Konerko.

I know I'm dreaming... but it'd be a nice reality.

RichH55
09-22-2003, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by Nick@Nite
Pujols and Thome are stratosphere material, well beyond PK's value.

PK for Edgar Renteria would be nice... St. Louis has soon to be 36 year old Tino Martinez they could move, making room for soon to be 28 year old Paul Konerko.

I know I'm dreaming... but it'd be a nice reality.

Well I think PK for Renteria is even more than a pipedream....since Renteria has been mentioned a couple of times for different posibilities and since we need a SS and he is "only" making 5 million, I will ask this : Does St. Louis have anyone in the system waiting in the wings at SS? I know they are replacing Vina too and bringing in Bo Hart, so replacing both 2B and SS might be asking quite a bit

RichH55
09-22-2003, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 39thandWallace

I don't think any of these things are related, this post is literally trying to take me three or four places at once