PDA

View Full Version : Who here thinks Koch will come back at full strength next year:

ChiSox14305635
09-20-2003, 08:10 PM
We all know how badly he sucked this year, but maybe with a little rest, rehab and Coop sessions, he can bring that heater back up to the high 90's again (with control, I hope). I'd hate to dump him now, then he find success with some other team. Then essentially, we get nothing out of that deal (no disrespect to Cotts). Here's hoping Koch finds his form from his Blue Jay days.

JRIG
09-20-2003, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635
We all know how badly he sucked this year, but maybe with a little rest, rehab and Coop sessions, he can bring that heater back up to the high 90's again (with control, I hope). I'd hate to dump him now, then he find success with some other team. Then essentially, we get nothing out of that deal (no disrespect to Cotts). Here's hoping Koch finds his form from his Blue Jay days.

Hoping? Yes. We're on the hook for $6.25 million either way.

Will it happen? I doubt it. Throwing harder will do nothing to add movement to his straight-as-an-arrow fastball.

duke of dorwood
09-20-2003, 08:58 PM
Nope-he will be a head case

thezeker
09-20-2003, 09:23 PM
[FONT=century gothic]Put a fork in him!
He's DONE!!!!!! :whiner: :whiner: :whiner[/FO NT] :

gosox41
09-21-2003, 07:35 AM
Originally posted by ChiSox14305635

I predict Koch has elbow surgery and sits out next year and collects all that money so he can get a fresh start in 2005 when he's a free agent.

Bob

MikeKreevich
09-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Billy Beer Belly will never regain his 100 mph heater, so my answer is no.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-21-2003, 08:48 AM
I've avoided complaining about Koch this season. I didn't think he was an upgrade over Foulke EXCEPT for the fact his fastball was better suited to protecting the lead in do-or-die ninth inning situations. Koch lost his velocity and he became a punching bag for the Sox' opponents.

If we Sox Fans were unlucky with Koch, we were more than compensated by the career year Loaiza delivered. I suspect Koch will pitch far better next year. I also suspect Loaiza will pitch far worse.

:smile: :(:

MisterB
09-21-2003, 11:58 AM
This question assumes Koch's only problem is from being overworked in 2002 (which he probably was). I've heard from multiple media sources that Koch's mechanics have been completely fouled up this year. I know Cooper has been working with him on that very thing, and the chicken-or-egg question has to be asked: Is Cooper the solution to Koch's fouled up mechanics or the cause? If his mechaics are still out of whack, his arm strength isn't going to matter.

ChiSox14305635
09-21-2003, 01:00 PM
I think, like Buerhle, he suffered from "Dead Arm Syndrome", though Buerhle was able to come back strong during the 2nd half. I think because he wasn't used much during the 2nd half, his arm should be alot stronger. Hopefully his mechanics will return intact too.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I've avoided complaining about Koch this season. I didn't think he was an upgrade over Foulke EXCEPT for the fact his fastball was better suited to protecting the lead in do-or-die ninth inning situations. Koch lost his velocity and he became a punching bag for the Sox' opponents.

If we Sox Fans were unlucky with Koch, we were more than compensated by the career year Loaiza delivered. I suspect Koch will pitch far better next year. I also suspect Loaiza will pitch far worse.

:smile: :(:

Exactly, exactly what I was thinking