PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Quote take 2

DC Sox Fan
09-20-2003, 12:12 PM
From the Trib today, Big Hurt explaining why he couldn't hit at Minny:

"There's no hitting background in that dome"

Now I have always been a big hurt supporter, but does this strike anyone else as just plain weak? He goes on to say that the dome is not a real ballpark, which I think we all agree on. But IMO Hurt was his typical big-game/series flop, and this excuse is pretty damn lame.

Mammoo
09-20-2003, 12:14 PM
I almost fell off the toilet when I read that one!!! :D:

What a goof....

RKMeibalane
09-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Somebody needs to give this man some duct tape.

jeremyb1
09-20-2003, 12:43 PM
Frank never lacks reasons why he's not hitting. I don't know if other players just don't talk about reasons they're having trouble hitting or what but it never really inspires confidence that there are so many things (bad hitting backround, pitcher making good pitches, etc) that prevent him from hitting.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-20-2003, 12:45 PM
The Big Hurt just can't get out of the way of his own Big Mouth. What a putz...

ihatethecubs
09-20-2003, 12:50 PM
i actually heard that quote on the post game show last night when bruce levine was talking with him, that quote is totally taken out of context. he started off just sorta saying how he thinks they hit better at the cell because the background is good and how its tougher to adjust to at the dome, and he was giving the twins credit saying theyre built to play in the dome. if you heard him saying it from his mouth and the tone he was using and the context of what he was talking about, you wouldntve thought twice about what he said.

TornLabrum
09-20-2003, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by ihatethecubs
i actually heard that quote on the post game show last night when bruce levine was talking with him, that quote is totally taken out of context. he started off just sorta saying how he thinks they hit better at the cell because the background is good and how its tougher to adjust to at the dome, and he was giving the twins credit saying theyre built to play in the dome. if you heard him saying it from his mouth and the tone he was using and the context of what he was talking about, you wouldntve thought twice about what he said.

And now you know why Frank gets all kinds of criticism. That was one quote out of context. How many others do you suppose there have been?

RKMeibalane
09-20-2003, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum
And now you know why Frank gets all kinds of criticism. That was one quote out of context. How many others do you suppose there have been?

Frank has been misquoted and portrayed badly by the media time and time again. That's the main reason why I think he needs to learn to just keep quiet. He means well, but he always seems to say something that makes him look bad.

shane
09-20-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by DC Sox Fan
From the Trib today, Big Hurt explaining why he couldn't hit at Minny:

Now I have always been a big hurt supporter, but does this strike anyone else as just plain weak? He goes on to say that the dome is not a real ballpark, which I think we all agree on. But IMO Hurt was his typical big-game/series flop, and this excuse is pretty damn lame.

Pretty lame for a professional hitter. Maybe he should ask Carl what he was doing to put the bat on the ball with no hitting background.

bc2k
09-20-2003, 02:41 PM
Frank, the hitting background is a lot better when standing in the batters' box. Try it next time.

Brian26
09-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Really dumb comment by Frank. Everyone else was playing in the same stadium for the series. It's not like they put up a giant new white curtain right behind Hunter in centerfield when Frank came up to bat. The usual background was the same for everyone. Carl got some hits. Crede had a homer. Frank just couldn't get it done.

jabrch
09-21-2003, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by RKMeibalane
Frank has been misquoted and portrayed badly by the media time and time again. That's the main reason why I think he needs to learn to just keep quiet. He means well, but he always seems to say something that makes him look bad.

So Frank is the victim... We have heard excuses from him for years every time he goes into a slump. HE doesn't need to learn to keep quite. He needs to learn to accept the criticism when it is A) due to him and B) correct instead of constantly making excuses.

Kilroy
09-21-2003, 08:10 AM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Even after someone explains the truth about what Thomas said, several people still rip him. Some folks just want to hate Thomas.

TornLabrum
09-21-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
So Frank is the victim... We have heard excuses from him for years every time he goes into a slump. HE doesn't need to learn to keep quite. He needs to learn to accept the criticism when it is A) due to him and B) correct instead of constantly making excuses.

Slumps happen. They're not usually something you blame a player for. However, they sometimes have causes.

For example, a bone spur the size of a walnut in your ankle. Or perhaps a badly torn triceps muscle that took two years to actually heal.

Then there are the mundane things such as facing a pitcher who totally screws up your timing, or starting to drop your shoulder when you hit, or not crouching as deeply as you normally do.

Name me one star who hasn't had a slump. Even Ted Williams only hit something like .251 the year before he retired (due to a pinched nerve in his neck...as I said, there are causes of slumps).

I have no idea why I'm even responding to this, however, since you only want to get rid of the best hitter I've seen on this club in the 48 years I've been a fan.

TornLabrum
09-21-2003, 08:18 AM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Even after someone explains the truth about what Thomas said, several people still rip him. Some folks just want to hate Thomas.

What's really sad to me is that the Frank bashers (and you know who you are) make it sound as if he has some control over whether or not he slumps. I've never met a player yet who deliberately started hitting poorly or who deliberately got into bad habits while hitting.

It is interesting that in all the controversy about "Thomas the home run hitter" very little was made of the fact that he said that his goal every time he swung the bat was to drive the ball. That's exactly what hitting coaches want big guys like him to do. And that's why Hriniak found nothing wrong with his recent attitude about hitting.

It just makes sense that Frank would be trying to pull the ball now more than before. Pitchers have been trying to bust him inside for several years. He thinks he's found the way to counter that. He's made the adjustment. And he still gets flak.

Some clown called The Score yesterday with a rant. Among other things, he called Thomas a clubhouse cancer. So I wonder when this caller actually went into the Sox clubhouse. I wonder how many other players he's talked to about Frank. I wonder if he gets his opinions from Jay Moronotti.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

So basically...He needs to accept critism that doesnt come from you, because you rarely meet either of those criteria

ma-gaga
09-21-2003, 01:32 PM
I guess I don't have a problem with what he said, it just bothers me that this feels like a 'setup' question. They lead him right into contriversy when they take a quote out of context.

Frank should just avoid these types of questions. It gives the moron's of the world, ammunition to attack Frank's character.

TDog
09-21-2003, 03:27 PM
Frank's still a jerk because he continues to say things that can be taken out of context.

RichH55
09-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by TDog
Frank's still a jerk because he continues to say things that can be taken out of context.

Teal didnt work here?

RichH55
09-21-2003, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by ma-gaga
I guess I don't have a problem with what he said, it just bothers me that this feels like a 'setup' question. They lead him right into contriversy when they take a quote out of context.

Frank should just avoid these types of questions. It gives the moron's of the world, ammunition to attack Frank's character.

Frank should just Post a list of cliches on his locker and tell the writer's to pick the one they like best