PDA

View Full Version : The grades are in

maurice
09-19-2003, 01:19 PM
There's no sense waiting until the official end of the season, since we've all seen quite enough to make up our minds. These grades, given to players currently on the active roster, are based on their performance relative to pre-season expectations. For example, a "5" grade means that the player played well above expectations, a "1" means the opposite, and a "3" means he played at or near pre-season expectations. Without further eloquence:

5 - Loaiza - Probably the team's MVP. Tailed off in September, but there's no question that he played WAY above pre-season expectations. Expect a significant drop off next season.
5 - Marte - Over the past two seasons, he's gone from a marginal player on a bad team to one of the top relievers in baseball. This guy's the real deal.

4 - Thomas - Future Hall of Famer. Very solid overall numbers, especially in light of the view (held by many here) that he was done after his near-MVP campaign in 2000.
4 - Lee - Had the breakout season we've all been waiting for, after (finally) being moved into the #2 spot in the order. Thank goodness influential people read this site.
4 - Everett - Started off his Sox career slowly, but really impressed me during the stretch run. I'd like to see him back with the club, but KW first will need to clear out the glut of corner OFs.
4 - Gordon - Solid overall numbers and suprisingly good health.
4 - Wunsch - Otherworldly AVE against, but I'd like to see him cut down on the walks and stay healthy for a full season.

3 - Olivo - Very good defense and reasonable offensive production, considering his age and the fact that he skipped AAA. He'll hit better next year.
3 - S. Alomar - Just about exactly what I expected, including his .277 OBP and annual stint on the DL. It's past time for him to retire.
3 - R. Alomar - Definitely on the downside of his career but still good with the glove. He'll need to take a massive paycut to stick around.
3 - Crede - Great glovework and improvement at the dish during the second half. Overall numbers are consistent with expectations.
3 - Garland - Established himself as a solid major league starter at the young age of 23.
3 - Graffanino - Still a solid but unspectacular utility player.
3 - Rowand - Started ice cold after offseason injury but came on after mid-season callup. Overall numbers are consistent with expectations.
3 - Sullivan - Hasn't seen much action with the Sox, but solid overall. Unfortunately, Sox don't figure to pick up his option.

2 - Ordonez - Probably won't finish with 30 HR or 100 RBI after posting 38 / 135 last season. Escalating contract may mean the end of his career on the South Side.
2 - Valentin - Hard to give much credit to a guy with a .230 AVE and 18 errors.
2 - Colon - Solid lately, but a steep drop off from his previous 20 Win / 2.93 ERA campaign.
2 - Buehrle - ERA increased for the third straight year.
2 - Wright - Proved that he's not a major league starter, though he could become a good reliever.
2 - Daubach - Should have gotten more ABs early in the season, but failed as a pinch hitter and lacks the range to play OF regularly.
2 - Rios - Cut from the team and nobody else wanted him. 'Nuff said.
2 - Schoenweis - Very uneven performance in relief. Splits offer no reason to believe that he'll become a more effective starter. Must learn to use the cutter against righties.
2 - Adkins - Not sure why they called up this 26-year-old non-prospect.

1 - Konerko - Miserable first half followed by uneven second half. Probably can't deal him. Look for a return to form in 2004, though I doubt he'll ever play up to his contract.
1 - Koch - Foulke trade was a disaster. Probably can't deal him. Can't pitch any worse in 2004, but please throw strikes.
1 - Harris - Expected to contribute at 2B and/or CF, but couldn't hit major league pitching. (Note: I'd give Borchard the same grade, but the Sox didn't bother to call him back up. He was expected to be the Sox starting CF right now but struggled mightily in AAA. Next year could be make-or-break.)

Burke and Miles both get "incomplete" grades, since they saw little major league action. It will be interesting to learn whether the Sox are counting on either of these fellows (along with Rivera, Borchard, Reed, Rauch, Stewart, Diaz, Cotts, Pacheco, and a large handful of minor league relievers) to make the team out of spring training next season.

Overall, the pitching was great, but the Sox didn't get the job done because: (1) the offense (particularly Konerko) was terrible for long stretches; and (2) the manager is incompetent. It should be a rather interesting offseason, but I'd be extremely disappointed if the Sox didn't kick it off by announcing their intention to . . .

:firejerry

SoxxoS
09-19-2003, 01:23 PM
I would give Colon at least a "3". He kept us in too many ballgames and kept his ERA under 4 until yesterday.

I would also give Thomas a 3 for being a choker in big games.

shane
09-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
I would give Colon at least a "3". He kept us in too many ballgames and kept his ERA under 4 until yesterday.

I think Thomas did much better than pre-season expectations. A 4 is fair there.

Also, Beuhrle is at least an 18 game winner with a better bullpen. He needs a 3. 18 games and he meets my expectations. Not to mention he lost a couple of 2-0 games and fell victim to errors twice when allowing only 2 runs. He's the best pitcher on the team in my opinion. Colon, I don't know. I really like him, but I don't know about that guy. He has his moments and that's about it. His placement isn't really all that great. Buerhle needs to step it up a notch and be our #1.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 02:47 PM

Choker in big games??? He had more walk-off HR's than anyone on the team, including in arguably, at the time, the biggest game of the season against Minnesota.

You people are harsh. Gave this team a ton of early leads they usually blew 1/2 an inning later. Also was on fire when Jerry put him at first base, then went back to the .250 hitter as a DH. Brilliance.

maurice
09-19-2003, 05:24 PM
4 - Thomas - Relatively few folks here were confident that Thomas would post 40+ HR, 100+ RBI, and a .900+ OPS. Given all the heat he's taken since 2000, there's no question that Frank deserves better than a "3."

2 - Colon - If someone told me at the beginning of the year that Colon would post a near-.500 record and an ERA around 4, I'd be at least somewhat disappointed, particularly since he posted 20 Wins and a 2.93 ERA playing for worse teams the previous season.

2 - Buehrle - How can his steadily rising ERA be considered anything but a disappointment? At his age, he should be improving. I hope he turns this trend around next season.

Only a few pitchers got good grades. Overall, the staff was very good, but if you check my pre-season posts, I expected the staff to be good. Loaiza was the only very pleasant surprise.

MHOUSE
09-20-2003, 12:41 AM
I give Thomas props for pushing us in the stretch when he had that awesome run of games, but these last 5 loses to Minnesota where has he been? He's a choker. I think Miles and Burke will contribute next season. Harris needs to be cut. Daubach, Rios, can follow him out the door. Borchard who? This kid needs to do something.

My pitchers as far as expectation to result go
Loaiza 5 (from who? to cy young almost)
Buehrle 3 (bad breaks, bullpen, errors)
Colon 3 (Ace? too inconsistent, but mismanaged)
Garland 4 (what i expected and consistency)
Wright 2 (SUCK! I thought he would win 10 games at least) Stewie, Porzio, Cotts 2 (Stewie was all right, Porzio gave us a chance, Cotts looked good, but not in a race, once again misuse)

MikeKreevich
09-20-2003, 10:55 AM
Maurice, didn't you forget someone? Oh EE OH

maurice
09-22-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by Guzman's Goat
Maurice, didn't you forget someone? Oh EE OH

Nope. You're looking too high on the list. He's the first name in the group that received a "2."

:o:

hold2dibber
09-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
I give Thomas props for pushing us in the stretch when he had that awesome run of games, but these last 5 loses to Minnesota where has he been? He's a choker.

Where have Maggs, CLee, PK, Robbie A., Valentin, Crede, and everyone else on the team been over the last 5 games vs. the Twins? If you're going to label Frank a choker for those 5 games, I hope you're at least consistent and label the rest of the team the same way, because none of them did squat against the Twins in those 5 games.

ChiSoxBobette
09-22-2003, 12:26 PM

How can you call Frank a choker in big games - One Series the last one vs Minn. and how did Maggs do or any of them for that matter . Next year whether Franks here or somewhere else I would bet to go along with those H.R.'s and RBI's he had this year the average gos up to around .300 then well probably be all over KW for letting Frank go just like we were when thay traded Foulke for Koch.

doublem23
09-22-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by MHOUSE
Borchard who? This kid needs to do something.

Excuse me!?!?