PDA

View Full Version : Fun While it Lasted

delben91
09-19-2003, 10:47 AM
I'm going to not discuss the recent Twins series too much in this thread. Despite the recent debacle in Minnesota (which I finally believe ends the Sox playoff chances), I just wanted to say, that until Tuesday, I had never had more fun following the Sox than I did through late July onto August and September. I know no post-season heroics will come from it, but man, the last six weeks or so sure were fun to watch.

Though they ripped my heart out this week, the Sox made it swell with pride throughout the late summer. For that, I must thank them.

Also, my hats off to the Twins, as the obviously wanted it more than the Sox. To ma-gaga, fhqwhgads, and Twins8791, congrats to your boys. The Sox can never say they were cheated out of the division, because the Twins came and took it from them. Good luck to your boys in the playoffs fellas!

Now, if we can get Jerry out of the dugout, that will at least be some small solace for me.

As always, it's a pleasure to talk Sox baseball with everyone on this site. And I ask, despite the hurt and anger of the past few days, remember all the joy you had watching our Sox these past few weeks. Enjoy the rest of the games this season, because it's still such a glorious game, even if our Sox didn't live up to expectations. Have a good weekend all.

As always....

GO SOX!!

MarkV
09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
To be honest, this was the most frustrating and disappointing season that I've experienced as a Sox fan. Even when we were winning, I wasn't enjoying it that much because I knew that it would be almost impossible to will in spite of Manuel. Although, there were a few good moments this year.

Greg1983
09-19-2003, 11:06 AM
...as in "gentleman." I wish I had your class.

Personally, I'm really torn. On the one hand, this season was a blast in July and August. And I've never been more excited than the evening of the Alomar/Evertt acquisitions. I've never seen the Sox get that kind of coverage on ESPN and the national media.

But for it to end like this...I'm almost tempted to say I'd have preferred not to be teased. I'm grateful that we had a pennant race to watch. But to lose like they did these last 3 games, where they simply went to sleep and didn't even compete...it's embarrassing. And especially when the crosstown rivals are playing their hearts out.

Please understand...I'm not saying we have to compare ourselves to the Cubs at every step. But when you see baseball being played with passion and verve just a few miles away, it's hard not to draw comparisons.

If we had been swept in three nail-biting, hard-fought, classic ballgames, that would be one thing. At least we would have gone down valiantly. But the Sox never fully showed up in Minnesota. Their bodies were there, but their hearts and minds were someplace very different. That's repugnant to me.

I think JR and KW have a lot of thinking to do. Clearly, Manuel needs to be sent someplace very far away from the city of Chicago...maybe Siberia. But I think you also have to look at the core of this team (Konerko, Thomas, even Maggs, as well as others) and ask "Who really wants to be here and fight for this franchise?"

Oh well. Thanks again, Delben91, for putting a classy spin on the season. Had the Sox put in an honest effort in Minneapolis this week, I'd agree with you. But I just don't believe they did.

Greg1983

chosk8
09-19-2003, 11:13 AM
It was a frustrating season to say the least. I know its been compared to a roller coaster ride before, but that is a great analogy. The long wait in line (at the beginning of the season), after the long wait and finally gettting on the ride (the all-star break til a week ago) and the end of the ride and getting off the coaster (this Twins series). All that waiting and anticipation and it comes to a sudden stop. I will never forget Thomas' home runs against the Twins in extra innings and the one against the Angels in the 9th, both walk-offs. Hawks call on both of those brought a tear to my eye. You could just feel the passion in his voice. Some memorable moments from this team, that's for sure.

I know we are mathmatically still in it, but for all intents and purposes, we are done. My only wish is that it would not have come to such a screatching hault. I wish we could have won 1 or 2 in this Twins series and played it from there. Keep it interesting to the very end. Although, that may have been more heartbreaking.

chisox06
09-19-2003, 11:20 AM
I'll be at the games Saturday and Sunday, making a long weekend out of it ( live in mid-Michigan). The sox had me so pumped that when I got the tickets 2 weeks ago I had in-visions of this team possibly winnin the division in those games or at least puttin all but it mathematically away. Wow how a few games can change your entire complexion of what you "think."

Thats not to say that I wont have a great time this weekend, no matter how pissed off I am, I still love this franchise and I always will, thats what being a "fan" is all about. I guess the way they lost those 3 games is the most disheartening of all. Regardless of all that though, the sox still gave me a lot of great memories this year, but that in itself makes the way the sox went out all that more disheartening.

Its really a shame. I remember when the Royals/Sox (3 weeks ago or so) game was on ESPN and the commentators couldnt believe how loud the cell was. Thats because sox fans are a passionate bunch, much unlike the bleacher monkeys of the North. For once I would love to be at Comiskey, a packed house of loud outrageous fans and not have some fat slob in a cubbie blue Sosa Jersey telling me how the sox suck. Thought I might get that this weekend but I know the place will be full but all the emotion and passion that I hoped to be part of was sucked out in Minnesota. I am so tired of hearing "wait till next year" but here we are again folks!

adsit
09-19-2003, 11:39 AM
Well said. In a day or two, when I'm done alternating between anger and anguish, I'll feel the same way.

I spent most of the second half of this season with the thought that I'd rather see the Sox not go to the playoffs at all if it looked like we were going to be embarassed there. The two games I just saw them play in Boston were among the best I'd ever seen the White Sox play in person... and I've seen a few good ones over 26 years. I was finally convinced we were going to the show and ready to kick butt. To have them collapse in the very next series was a bit much.

I wish Jerry Manuel well as a private citizen, but I don't want him anywhere near my White Sox. And I hope Kenny Williams can keep up the good work. He's trying. He's got his work cut out for him... and I hope it starts with a good hard look at Greg1983's question... who really wants to be here and fight for this franchise? Those guys are the ones I want to be rooting for next year... the rest of 'em can follow Jerry right out the door.

pudge
09-19-2003, 11:56 AM
If this team really made your heart "swell with pride" at any time, you've got some pretty low standards. How many days were we actually in first place? How many series did we sweep this season? Two, maybe? This team pretty much made me ill all year long.

Chisox353014
09-19-2003, 11:58 AM
I'm going to have to respectfully disagree here. Underachieving is never a "fun" thing for a team to do. This was easily the craziest, up and down season I can ever remember, but I hesitate to call the season as a whole "fun". Although there were some great moments along the way.

Foulke You
09-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by adsit
I spent most of the second half of this season with the thought that I'd rather see the Sox not go to the playoffs at all if it looked like we were going to be embarassed there. The two games I just saw them play in Boston were among the best I'd ever seen the White Sox play in person... and I've seen a few good ones over 26 years. I was finally convinced we were going to the show and ready to kick butt. To have them collapse in the very next series was a bit much.

Adsit, I can't believe that team we saw at Fenway is the same bunch that showed up at the Metrodome. The Red Sox were 20 games over .500 at Fenway with the most feared lineup in the AL and we took 2 out of 3 from them and could've swept had Danny Wright not pitched in game 1. When I flew back to Chicago I was jacked up for the Twins series. I thought we'd take 2 out of 3. Bartolo and Buehrle just made the Red Sox look silly and I thought we would get more of the same in Minnesota. I think this series hurt so much because nobody could have forseen a complete meltdown like this after the strong way we were playing.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2003, 12:12 PM
I don't think it will be worth remembering with pride anything about this season if these ingrates simply throw in the towel the last ten games and not even finish with a winning record.

How disgusting would that be for this "talent laden" team.

Lip