PDA

View Full Version : renovations?

CHISOXFAN13
09-19-2003, 10:40 AM
Since the shift is now turning away from the pay on the field, I was wondering if anyone has heard/seen possible renovations? I would assume they'd have to start soon?

harwar
09-19-2003, 11:01 AM
I'm not even sure that Chicago can any longer support 2 teams.The park will(more than likely) be mostly empty next year and i don't see how you can run a team with no income.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by harwar
I'm not even sure that Chicago can any longer support 2 teams.The park will(more than likely) be mostly empty next year and i don't see how you can run a team with no income.

Sheeeeesh. ***??? Maybe you should wait to see what the Sox do in the offseason.

:chickenlittle

THE_HOOTER
09-19-2003, 11:21 AM
I would vote for taking the renovation money, and resigning Alomar, everitt and Colon, and Sullivan.

Foulke You
09-19-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I would vote for taking the renovation money, and resigning Alomar, everitt and Colon, and Sullivan.

That is a splendid idea. The ballpark looks great now. Leave it alone and give us something to cheer about on the field inside.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 11:25 AM

Bandwaggon jumpers are welcome to leave. I think this team will come back next year and be extremely competitive. I don't see Attendance next year being any different than this year... Sox fans will still come to the Park. Fairweather fans will still wait until August/September to come.

anewman35
09-19-2003, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER

Not sure if you're serious or not, but it's not an option, part of the deal with the renaming rights was that the money would go to renovations of the ballpark only...

daveeym
09-19-2003, 11:41 AM
I was told that over the next two years they were going to remove the last 1/3 or half of the left field upper deck to open up a view to the skyline and install an upper deck over the right field outfield seats. I have NO idea where my source came up with these plans but at the time he said that these were the offical renovation plans.

CHISOXFAN13
09-19-2003, 11:47 AM
I hope your source is correct because that would add a lot to the park.

Hell, I love it already though so it doesn't matter what they do.

soxruleEP
09-19-2003, 11:53 AM

Are you kidding?

If they run the stadium as a television studio they'll have a significant income.

On what do you base the idea that Chicago can't/won't support two teams anymore? Nearly 5 million in attendance is pretty damn good. If the Cell only sat 37,000 the smaller crowds wouldn't look so small.

I think we should look at what we drew in August and September. The way they played early in the year, they're lucky we even used our season tickets.

Maybe we should see what the team does in the off-season. I'd like to think they have finally figured out that they will draw if they have a good team and that the fan base is not going to stand for "rebuilding".

soxruleEP
09-19-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
Since the shift is now turning away from the pay on the field, I was wondering if anyone has heard/seen possible renovations? I would assume they'd have to start soon?

I sat in one of the minority owners' boxes during a game and this is what I overheard him telling some scouts from the Reds.

Top ten rows of the upper deck removed.

Upper deck roof lowered and extended to shield entire seating area of the upper deck.

The upper deck will then be extended by five rows closer to the field directly behind the plate (approximately Sections 525-535).

I hope these new seats will be considered upper deck boxes (as this would mean 535 row 2 season tickets would e five rows closer to the field) but they might be "club level" although they will considerably higher than the current left & right club levels.

harwar
09-19-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
Are you kidding?

Since i've been pretty much drunk for 2 days now i'm not sure if i'm kidding or not.I'll let ya know.One of the negatives of retiement is too much time on ur hands.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2003, 12:09 PM
It's interesting that this has been brouhgt up...on Page 394 on the 2003 White Sox Media Guide it states... "an announcement on the significant renovations planned for U.S. Cellular Field for 2003 - 2005 will come during the first half of the 2003 season..."

So does anybody know what happened? Obviously something has gone wrong since nothing was announced that I know of during the first half of this season.

Lip

BeerHandle
09-19-2003, 02:37 PM
I have heard a combination of the two renovations listed above. I heard that the top 12 rows of the upper deck would be removed, roof extended over the seats to generate louder cheers and then there would be a double decker right field. I heard this was to be done for the All Star game, but then they decided they would not be able to complete it in time because of the other renovations. I use to have the architecture drawing on soft copy, but can't find them. I received them from a friend who knows someone that works at the Architecture firm responsible for the design.

I hope this still goes through!

hose
09-19-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by soxruleEP
Are you kidding?

If they run the stadium as a television studio they'll have a significant income.

On what do you base the idea that Chicago can't/won't support two teams anymore? Nearly 5 million in attendance is pretty damn good. If the Cell only sat 37,000 the smaller crowds wouldn't look so small.

I think we should look at what we drew in August and September. The way they played early in the year, they're lucky we even used our season tickets.

Maybe we should see what the team does in the off-season. I'd like to think they have finally figured out that they will draw if they have a good team and that the fan base is not going to stand for "rebuilding".

I am hoping that Reinsdorf finally "GETS IT" and fills in the holes on this team instead of cutting back.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-19-2003, 04:52 PM
it'd be cool if they did do that so you could see the skyline. it looks amazing at night going down the ramps from the upper deck

hold2dibber
09-19-2003, 05:11 PM
Since i've been pretty much drunk for 2 days now i'm not sure if i'm kidding or not.I'll let ya know.One of the negatives of retiement is too much time on ur hands.

I think we should have a color for people to use when they post while drunk (been there, done that). The problem, of course, is that drunk people likely will forget to use it. But if they remember, than we can all take it for what it's worth.