PDA

View Full Version : FA Question -- Opposite Perspective

soxtalker
09-19-2003, 10:53 AM
There have been many threads either based on or containing discussions of the signing of our FA's. Virtually all of them come at the issue from the perspective of which do we want to sign and usually within budget constraints. However, let's look at it from the opposite point of view -- the players'. Is it only a question of money in their minds? I doubt it. And if not, what makes this the optimal situation for them? I'm not trying to be negative here -- just trying to look at the issue a bit differently.

gosox41
09-19-2003, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
There have been many threads either based on or containing discussions of the signing of our FA's. Virtually all of them come at the issue from the perspective of which do we want to sign and usually within budget constraints. However, let's look at it from the opposite point of view -- the players'. Is it only a question of money in their minds? I doubt it. And if not, what makes this the optimal situation for them? I'm not trying to be negative here -- just trying to look at the issue a bit differently.

Money is first for most of these guys. Others like playing near home, or warm climates, or owners that show commitment to winning, or state income taxes.

Basically nothing the Sox have to offer.

Bob

bc2k
09-19-2003, 11:23 AM
If AROD is truly sick of playing for a perennial loser, maybe he'd be open to a slight pay cut to play for the Sox. Or at least shave a year or two off his contract to play here. I mentioned elsewhere that I'd trade Magglio and Konerko for AROD. For selfish reasons, AROD would realize playing for the Sox would get him an MVP award since we're a competitive team.

Magglio's plus Konerko's salary adds up to around what AROD is making, but AROD is signed much longer at that price. We've got the perfect guy to restructure his contract in our benefit:

:reinsy
See Alex, if your skills diminish I invoke a clause to embarrass you and then resign you to a new contract where you'll have to pay me to leave. Muhahahaha. But to make things fair I give you an attendance clause where you get a bonus if the Sox draw more than 3 million.