PDA

View Full Version : Loaiza or Colon?

hold2dibber
09-19-2003, 08:02 AM
I am going to watch with interest how Loaiza fares over his next few starts. Frankly, I still don't trust that he is going to be a top of the rotation pitcher going forward. Maybe if he pitches lights out in his next two starts (after pitching poorly in the last 3) I'd feel better about him. IIRC, the Sox have a $4.5 million option on him for next year. At this point, I don't think I'd want the Sox to exercise that option if it meant not having the $ to sign Colon. If Colon could be had for 3 years/$24 million, I think I'd forego exercising Loaiza's option (of course, I'd prefer ot keep both, but I don't think that'll happen).

JRIG
09-19-2003, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
I am going to watch with interest how Loaiza fares over his next few starts. Frankly, I still don't trust that he is going to be a top of the rotation pitcher going forward. Maybe if he pitches lights out in his next two starts (after pitching poorly in the last 3) I'd feel better about him. IIRC, the Sox have a $4.5 million option on him for next year. At this point, I don't think I'd want the Sox to exercise that option if it meant not having the $ to sign Colon. If Colon could be had for 3 years/$24 million, I think I'd forego exercising Loaiza's option (of course, I'd prefer ot keep both, but I don't think that'll happen).

Loaiza's option is for $3.5 million next year. Having watched a lot of Loaiza starts over his career, I think he really has turned a corner in his career. He can be a top of the rotation kind of guy. His cutter has been teriffic.

34 Inch Stick
09-19-2003, 09:11 AM
You would have to be nuts not to pick up the 3.5 million dollar option on a 19 game winner. If he would agree to it I would extend it another year at 4 million each.

Have you seen who makes 4 million a year for pitching (just off the top of my head Jeff Suppan).

bc2k
09-19-2003, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber

I don't think I'm alone when I say that I expected more from Bartolo than what he produced this season. Maybe I was unfairly expecting too much; maybe he underachieved. I thought we were getting a true Ace. I love Bart's competitiveness by taking pride in finishing games, but he was a 20 game winner in 2002 and If I recall correctly, owned a ~2.90 era that year. That is better than what he gave in 2003.

If multiple teams get into a bidding war over Colon, I don't want him back since the price will be quite high. If the market is luke warm to him, I'm all for his return since there are no physical signs preventing him from matching his 2002 season. I don't think his back is a problem because since we first heard about that he's continued to pitch 9 innings start after start.

Loaiza seems like a keeper at 3.5 or 4.5 million, whatever it is. Loaiza might not win 20 again, but we need 5 starters to make a rotation, and I hope all 5 are capable of giving the Sox a win on any given day (unlike our #5 starter this year). Loaiza, Buehrle, Garland make 3 of 5, even adding Colon leaves us in the same losing position every fifth day like 2003. So signing Loaiza is necessary IMHO.

Bobby Thigpen
09-19-2003, 09:31 AM
I also would go with Loazia. Colon, while still a gamer, has given too many mediocre starts this season for me to be in love with him as everyone else here has been. Sure he was great for a few stretches throughout the season, but he was surprisingly average for the majority of it. I recall more than one or two "dead arm" starts from Bartolo. He simply isn't going to be worth the money he's going to be demandng. Loazia will be a bargain for what his option's worth.

FanOf14
09-19-2003, 09:34 AM
I am for bringing Colon back, but only if it is at the right price. He seemed to dog it during the year, and I am sorry, but his performance this year, IMO, doesn't make it worth it to lose out on Loaiza.

shane
09-19-2003, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Have you seen who makes 4 million a year for pitching (just off the top of my head Jeff Suppan).

Billy Koch

jabrch
09-19-2003, 09:35 AM
I think it is more like Thomas or Colon since they both make the same thing - more or less - and since Loaiza, even if he isn't a 20 game winner and a #1 is still a very solid #2 or #3.

If I was told I could have one of the two, and that if I took Loaiza, I'd be able to take the $5mm saved and add it to the 5MM on Jose and get Tejada, I'd take Loaiza. If I was told that I could only have one and that there was no financial impact, I'd go Colon...I just don't see that being the economic reality that this team will face.

Question - Colon or Thomas?

JRIG
09-19-2003, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick

Originally posted by shane

Billy Koch

I wish it were only $4 million. We're on the hook for about $6.4 million next year.