PDA

View Full Version : Thomas Quote

LASOXFAN
09-19-2003, 02:38 AM
Im looking at this as we need to win 10 in a row, and this team is capable of doing that, Thomas added. You can talk about those lighter opponents all you want, but I know the fire from Cleveland and Detroit. Ive seen it. I also know the guys in this clubhouse, and we wont quit.

Someone please talk me out of buying in to this crap before I again start believing that we still have a chance.

inta
09-19-2003, 02:47 AM
hey, if the guy wants to try, that's fine with me. but if it's the same frank who slept walk all through the MN series... well, he can keep walking.

Kilroy
09-19-2003, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Im looking at this as we need to win 10 in a row, and this team is capable of doing that, Thomas added. You can talk about those lighter opponents all you want, but I know the fire from Cleveland and Detroit. Ive seen it. I also know the guys in this clubhouse, and we wont quit.

Someone please talk me out of buying in to this crap before I again start believing that we still have a chance.

As long as they aren't mathematically eliminated, they have a chance. So buy in if you want to. What's the difference anyway? Its not like you're going to stop watching the games and stop pulling for them.

34 Inch Stick
09-19-2003, 09:08 AM
Here LA. If the Sox go 10-0 the Twins only have to go 6-3 to tie.

I have tip better than any hot stock tip. Take all the money you have saved. Get on a plane to Las Vegas. Bet the Twins over the next 9 games. I promise you that you will make money.

FJA
09-19-2003, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Here LA. If the Sox go 10-0 the Twins only have to go 6-3 to tie.

I have tip better than any hot stock tip. Take all the money you have saved. Get on a plane to Las Vegas. Bet the Twins over the next 9 games. I promise you that you will make money.

I would definitely put my money on the Twins, but we might want to keep an eye on that Twins/Jndjans series. The Jndjans have played very well in the Metrodome, so I guess you never know. If our bags are already packed, we can turn the key on the lock after that series, because anything less than a sweep from the Jndjans all but seals our fate. I think the Twins will lose one game to the Tigers ... if Cleveland can help us out and we still have it in us to go 10-0 the rest of the way (which I don't believe we do), then fine. Otherwise, if you're worried about buying into it, just do what I'm going to do and casually check the scores at the end of the night. Stranger things have happened, but it's a bad idea to get your heart set on something here.

bc2k
09-19-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

That sounds like a man trying to avoid some booing this weekend.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
That sounds like a man trying to avoid some booing this weekend.

He better do a lot of hiding if he thinks he will avoid being booed. After he failed to show up (along with Konerko and Mags) to Minnesota, he rightfully deserves to be booed.

RKMeibalane
09-19-2003, 01:30 PM
I've been as big of a Frank supporter on this board as anyone, but I think it's a little late for those comments. From the looks of things, this team already has quit, and I know the reason why...

:jerry

*TINKER* *TINKER* *TINKER*

RichH55
09-19-2003, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
He better do a lot of hiding if he thinks he will avoid being booed. After he failed to show up (along with Konerko and Mags) to Minnesota, he rightfully deserves to be booed.

Another shot at Frank? Perhaps a theme here? IS there anything he isnt't responsible for?

RKMeibalane
09-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
Another shot at Frank? Perhaps a theme here? IS there anything he isnt't responsible for?

At this point, Frank has been blamed for the following events by the media and fans:

1. The assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

2. The assassination of Arch Duke Francis Ferdinand, which started World War I.

3. The San Francisco earthquake that delayed the 1989 World Series.

4. The Biblical Flood.

5. The presence of sin and evil in the world.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 04:09 PM

Sure...there are many things....

Amongst them are not

1) his terrible performance in September (.179 with only 3 extra base hits) - particularly in the 7 games vs the Twins (.192 with 2 XBH)

2) his terrible defense

3) his threatening to not come back for 6,000,000

4) His failure to be a clubhouse leader

5) His tendency to pick fights with managers

I like Frank and what he brings to the team @ the plate. I'd love to see him back if he comes back on the teams terms. I won't give him a pass just because of his past history with the club. I won't pay him 8,000,000 (and sacrifice another 2MM from the buyout if he thinks he is actually worth 10 in the open market. I'd love to see him try - just for arguements sake.

voodoochile
09-19-2003, 04:15 PM
Sure...there are many things....

Amongst them are not

1) his terrible performance in September - particularly in the 7 games vs the Twins

2) his terrible defense

3) his threatening to not come back for 6,000,000

4) His failure to be a clubhouse leader

5) His tendency to pick fights with managers

I like Frank and what he brings to the team @ the plate. I'd love to see him back if he comes back on the teams terms. I won't give him a pass just because of his past history with the club. I won't pay him 8,000,000 (and sacrifice another 2MM from the buyout if he thinks he is actually worth 10 in the open market. I'd love to see him try - just for arguements sake.

1)Yeah, he was the only one...

2)How do we know? Besides, if he is a DH only as you want, what does it matter?

3)Link please. I haven't heard or seen one word about this.

4)Did I miss something, or are you just making it up? He was a leader in 2000 and again this year, speaking openly about what the team needed and expected and being the only Sox player so far to speak out about playing hard the rest of the way and hoping for the best.

5)Jerry started it, you have to admit that. Manuel made it part of his job description to "bring Frank down a peg or two" since he has been here. He has openly ripped Frank in the newspapers and has allowed other players to do so without defending Frank once (Wells in 2001, Konerko in 2002). How many other surefire HOF players have to deal with that kind of lack of respect on a yearly basis? Has Frank gone to the press and ripped Manuel for not allowing him to play 1B when Paulie was stinking the joint up? Did he make a big scene when he was forced out of his comfort zone after tearing it up in June while playing 1B? You are making this stuff up. You have no evidence other than your own opinion on this one.

Admit it, you just don't like Frank and it colors your judgement.

:whoflungpoo

RKMeibalane
09-19-2003, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
1)Yeah, he was the only one...

2)How do we know? Besides, if he is a DH only as you want, what does it matter?

3)Link please. I haven't heard or seen one word about this.

4)Did I miss something, or are you just making it up? He was a leader in 2000 and again this year, speaking openly about what the team needed and expected and being the only Sox player so far to speak out about playing hard the rest of the way and hoping for the best.

5)Jerry started it, you have to admit that. Manuel made it part of his job description to "bring Frank down a peg or two" since he has been here. He has openly ripped Frank in the newspapers and has allowed other players to do so without defending Frank once (Wells in 2001, Konerko in 2002). How many other surefire HOF players have to deal with that kind of lack of respect on a yearly basis? Has Frank gone to the press and ripped Manuel for not allowing him to play 1B when Paulie was stinking the joint up? Did he make a big scene when he was forced out of his comfort zone after tearing it up in June while playing 1B? You are making this stuff up. You have no evidence other than your own opinion on this one.

Amen.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 04:23 PM
Vodooo - He is not the only one....I have blamed other people too. He is the one we are talking about right now.

How do we know? We have watched him for over 10 years.

Link....Here you go...(I hate using Mariotti to support me, but I dont have time to find another source) ""I wouldn't say staying is a priority,'' Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's Star Tribune. "Some of the greatest players in the game have changed teams.''"

http://www.suntimes.com/output/mariotti/cst-spt-jay18.html

A leader doesn't fight with 2 managers. A leader works his rear off for the team. A leader doesn't publicly say he only is going to hit HRs and not worry about the gaps (when that is what made him a great hitter) Frank's leadership is well below average Voodoo...

I really don't dislike Frank...I don't think Frank today is even close to what some people remember Frank as back in the mid 90s and I am not willing to support paying 8mm and forgo a 2mm buyout bonus for him in his current state.

voodoochile
09-19-2003, 04:35 PM
Vodooo - He is not the only one....I have blamed other people too. He is the one we are talking about right now.

How do we know? We have watched him for over 10 years.

Link....Here you go...(I hate using Mariotti to support me, but I dont have time to find another source) ""I wouldn't say staying is a priority,'' Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's Star Tribune. "Some of the greatest players in the game have changed teams.''"

A leader doesn't fight with 2 managers. A leader works his rear off for the team. A leader doesn't publicly say he only is going to hit HRs and not worry about the gaps (when that is what made him a great hitter) Frank's leadership is well below average Voodoo...

I really don't dislike Frank...I don't think Frank today is even close to what some people remember Frank as back in the mid 90s and I am not willing to support paying 8mm and forgo a 2mm buyout bonus for him in his current state.

You are right to not trust Moronotti as a source. He is so full of himself it is sickening. What was the point about the batters box stuff? Frank says it didn't even happen, but Moronotti uses it anyway.

I'd love to hear the whole question answer period that preceded his "not a priority" quote. It may have been phrased that way and then the Moron jumped on the answer. Once again, getting his quotes second hand from other newspapers because he is too damned lazy to get it right himself. You just don't know. Frank has talked often about how happy he is in Chicago and how much he wants to finish his career here.

I have no problem with Frank becoming a power hitter primarily so long as he continues to take his walks. I will continue to assert that Frank's feet and glove are as good or better than Paul Konerko at 1B. Did you watch him when he played there this June? He looked fine to me. Of course arguing about a firstbaseman's defense is really stupid, IMO and again, you yourself want him only as a DH, so why would it be part of the discussion about reasons to get rid of him?

Get Frank a real manager, one who doesn't constantly tear him down in front of the press and other teammates and see how he acts then. You are defending Manuel and Bevington for the most part. Most Sox fans won't do that, but I admire your guts...

Expect Frank to accept his option this year and come back. You said you are okay with it, so maybe it is time to let it go...

jabrch
09-19-2003, 04:49 PM
I AM NOT DEFENDING MANUEL OR BEVINGTON...I am saying that Frank will not be able to hide from the boos tonight. I am saying that if it is "not a priority" to stay in Chicago, he is more than welcome to leave. I guarantee you that if he doesn't excecise his option, Jerry R won't resign him. That's a 10mm salary swing if he does...you know better than that.

I'd love to have Frank back. I'd love to have 1994 Frank back. But if he doesn't want to be here, is going to fight with Backman, Randolph, or whomever else is IN CHARGE here, if he isn't going to work at being a complete hitter and not just a HR hitter, then he will not find the warmest welcome.

Sox fans forgive people if they care and put effort into things. Not people who say it is "not a priority" to stay.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 04:52 PM
I AM NOT DEFENDING MANUEL OR BEVINGTON...I am saying that Frank will not be able to hide from the boos tonight. I am saying that if it is "not a priority" to stay in Chicago, he is more than welcome to leave. I guarantee you that if he doesn't excecise his option, Jerry R won't resign him. That's a 10mm salary swing if he does...you know better than that.

We're still waiting for a reference on this quote. If you're gonna make stuff up, at least have the intelligence to not call it a direct quote.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
We're still waiting for a reference on this quote. If you're gonna make stuff up, at least have the intelligence to not call it a direct quote.

Randar, you are not reading my posts....

"We know this because of his latest foot-in-mouth episode, a comment to a Minneapolis newspaper that didn't exactly establish a tone of proud leadership before the season's most critical series. "I wouldn't say staying is a priority,'' Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's Star Tribune. "Some of the greatest players in the game have changed teams.''"

Still waiting? Come on...why do you give this guy a free pass?

jabrch
09-19-2003, 04:55 PM

and lets not start insulting people's intelligence. I don't think I have seen that done here much at all this season. There really is no reason to start it now.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 04:55 PM

"We know this because of his latest foot-in-mouth episode, a comment to a Minneapolis newspaper that didn't exactly establish a tone of proud leadership before the season's most critical series. "I wouldn't say staying is a priority,'' Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's Star Tribune. "Some of the greatest players in the game have changed teams.''"

Why do you have a hard on to blame this entire season and the fall of Rome on him?

Get over it.

JC456
09-19-2003, 04:56 PM
You are right to not trust Moronotti as a source. He is so full of himself it is sickening. What was the point about the batters box stuff? Frank says it didn't even happen, but Moronotti uses it anyway.

I'd love to hear the whole question answer period that preceded his "not a priority" quote. It may have been phrased that way and then the Moron jumped on the answer. Once again, getting his quotes second hand from other newspapers because he is too damned lazy to get it right himself. You just don't know. Frank has talked often about how happy he is in Chicago and how much he wants to finish his career here.

I have no problem with Frank becoming a power hitter primarily so long as he continues to take his walks. I will continue to assert that Frank's feet and glove are as good or better than Paul Konerko at 1B. Did you watch him when he played there this June? He looked fine to me. Of course arguing about a firstbaseman's defense is really stupid, IMO and again, you yourself want him only as a DH, so why would it be part of the discussion about reasons to get rid of him?

Get Frank a real manager, one who doesn't constantly tear him down in front of the press and other teammates and see how he acts then. You are defending Manuel and Bevington for the most part. Most Sox fans won't do that, but I admire your guts...

Expect Frank to accept his option this year and come back. You said you are okay with it, so maybe it is time to let it go...

How about Frank maturing just a bit and stop letting things piss him off. And if you really think his defense is better than Konerko's, than you really are stuck on the guy. HE CAN'T THROW THE BALL. There are two fundamentals to playing defense, catch and throw. When you only possess one of those skills that doesn't make you very good. Konerko just happens to be one of the best in baseball turning a double play. So just back off that comment and quit dissing Konerko's defense. Talk all you want about Konerko's poor 1st half hitting and you will get no argument from me, but don't talk about Frank being better at defense. Have some more Frank koolaide.

By the way, a team leader doesn't make excuses for poor performances, they suck it up and come back and demonstrate through their next game. Does Frank do this?

Some of us don't want him back because he isn't a clutch hitter and a new manager isn't going to improve that. That is his problem. This team needs clutch hitters, players who aren't streaky but have a 290 or better average consistantly game in and game out. The Sox have enough streaky hitters, and Maggs is one and so is Konerko.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 04:56 PM
and lets not start insulting people's intelligence. I don't think I have seen that done here much at all this season. There really is no reason to start it now.

There is also no reason for your continual diatribes against Thomas.

Thanks for the lecture dad, can I go out and play now while you sit and stew about Thomas?

jabrch
09-19-2003, 04:57 PM
Why do you have a hard on to blame this entire season and the fall of Rome on him?

Get over it.

1) I never blamed the entire season on him.

2) This has nothing to do with Rome...although his show sucks on the radio

3) This is only about one baseball player...Frank

voodoochile
09-19-2003, 04:57 PM

Actually, it's in that Moronotti link he already provided.

However, Jarbch also says that he is NOT defending Manuel and Bevington when in essence doing exactly that when he takes Frank to task for not getting along with them. There were no stories about Frank having issues with Torborg or Lamont, that I can recall, so these problems he has with managers have to be the other two. Call it what you want, but it sounds like Frank is the one who is right in this instance.

Frank ripped Manuel? Say it isn't so, Joe... LMAO! Go Frank!

Randar68
09-19-2003, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by JC456
HE CAN'T THROW THE BALL.

And we all know that throwing the ball is the absolute staple and measure of a good first baseman.

How many times a year is a first-baseman required to make an overhand throw? 40? Wow, we should trade that for the .100 points lower he hits as the DH

voodoochile
09-19-2003, 04:59 PM

Well, there is a big difference between saying "I wouldn't say it is a priority" (good negotiating tactic) and saying it is NOT a priority. You twisted his words and the meaning changes dramatically.

The Moron did the same thing...

jabrch
09-19-2003, 05:00 PM
Frank ripped Manuel? Say it isn't so, Joe... LMAO! Go Frank!

I just always learned not to rip coaches in public - in front of players, other coaches, etc...

I'm off to the game...

I hope we win. I hope Frank goes 4-4. I hope we light the scoreboard up so much they run out of numbers...

But either way, I am still pissed about the past 5 games vs Minnesota. They sucked.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 05:01 PM
I just always learned not to rip coaches in public - in front of players, other coaches, etc...

I'm off to the game...

I hope we win. I hope Frank goes 4-4. I hope we light the scoreboard up so much they run out of numbers...

But either way, I am still pissed about the past 5 games vs Minnesota. They sucked.

Welcome to the club, but there's no reason to single Thomas out on that.

Our starters were really clutch and the rest of the lineup just couldn't carry the team, though they tried....

Time to whip it out...

BLA!

voodoochile
09-19-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by JC456
How about Frank maturing just a bit and stop letting things piss him off. And if you really think his defense is better than Konerko's, than you really are stuck on the guy. HE CAN'T THROW THE BALL. There are two fundamentals to playing defense, catch and throw. When you only possess one of those skills that doesn't make you very good. Konerko just happens to be one of the best in baseball turning a double play. So just back off that comment and quit dissing Konerko's defense. Talk all you want about Konerko's poor 1st half hitting and you will get no argument from me, but don't talk about Frank being better at defense. Have some more Frank koolaide.

By the way, a team leader doesn't make excuses for poor performances, they suck it up and come back and demonstrate through their next game. Does Frank do this?

Some of us don't want him back because he isn't a clutch hitter and a new manager isn't going to improve that. That is his problem. This team needs clutch hitters, players who aren't streaky but have a 290 or better average consistantly game in and game out. The Sox have enough streaky hitters, and Maggs is one and so is Konerko.

Again, on a scale of 1-10, a firstbaseman's arm is about a 1.5 in terms of importance. In fact the only time I have ever even heard it discussed is on this board in defense of Konerko. When I said it to my flubbie fan buddy earlier this year, he laughed out loud.

Batting average is an overrated stat. OBP and OPS are much better ones and Frank is at the top of the team in both categorys.

Have some more Konehead Kool-Aid...

cornball
09-19-2003, 05:05 PM
I know I am in the minority, but I hope he is not. The contract he has will cripple this team in future years. The attitude has always been "me" as opposed to team.

I do understand the production throughout his career, and I also understand where he is as an overall player in Sox history.

I do not believe he could get the same deal on the open market and when it matters most he does not and has not come through.
Because of the limited budget, it seems like he is a luxury we should not keep.

I hope the Sox retool by replacing Paul K., Valentin and Frank with speed, defense and additional pitching, whether it is current member on the team (Colon for example) or other.

Don't be mad just my opinion.

Paulwny
09-19-2003, 05:13 PM
1st base is first and foremost a position for an offensive player, always was, always will be, any defense is just an added bonus.
Some of the wost defensive players in the history of the game have played 1st base.

Randar68
09-19-2003, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by cornball
I know I am in the minority, but I hope he is not. The contract he has will cripple this team in future years. The attitude has always been "me" as opposed to team.

How does a $6,000,000/year contract with a .900+ OPS 1B/DH cripple a team for years???

Talk about exaggerations!

RichH55
09-19-2003, 06:09 PM

Of course you have totally ignored the comments made in this thread about Frank still thinking we can win, and not giving up=.....I'm sure that doesn't matter or you have some negative there, right?

RichH55
09-19-2003, 06:11 PM
1) I never blamed the entire season on him.

2) This has nothing to do with Rome...although his show sucks on the radio

3) This is only about one baseball player...Frank

Was that number 2 supposed to be a joke, or is you missing the historical reference a microcosm of your inability to see the big picture?

RichH55
09-19-2003, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by cornball

I do understand the production throughout his career, and I also understand where he is as an overall player in Sox history.

I do not believe he could get the same deal on the open market and when it matters most he does not and has not come through.
Because of the limited budget, it seems like he is a luxury we should not keep.

I hope the Sox retool by replacing Paul K., Valentin and Frank with speed, defense and additional pitching, whether it is current member on the team (Colon for example) or other.

Don't be mad just my opinion.

And Royce was better than Valentin too...yadda yadda

Fabrach(sic)..when the company you keep is Cornball, Manuel, and Bevington, and 1b Defense...not good times

RichH55
09-19-2003, 06:25 PM
Well, there is a big difference between saying "I wouldn't say it is a priority" (good negotiating tactic) and saying it is NOT a priority. You twisted his words and the meaning changes dramatically.

The Moron did the same thing...
NOOO
If a player doesnt lay down for management then he isn't a team guy, he doesn't like the city he is in, he doesn't want to win

There is no business side to baseball, especially when talking contracts and the future...The game runs on warm thoughts and kisses.

And when Frank says that "staying isnt a priority" and says "We can still win this"....both are negative.

Of course, we he originally took the first "diminshing skills clause" deal it wasnt an earth breaking deal for a player of his caliber, but that doesn't matter. And his current deal shows some flexibility for the team and for a guy with his production (CURRENTLY, not historically) he will still be underpaid or at the very least a pretty good contract, that doesn't matter either

Did I mention that he can't throw? He costs this team runs with his defense! Yeah I know that good 1B defense is like being the prettiest woman on radio and that Frank mainly played DH, despite evidence that it hurts his hitting, but it still cost us!

Yeah the whole team was dead for the Minnesota series and there were streches of the season were Frank carried us.....but it is Still all his fault.

He also argued with 2, count em 2, managers.....For all intents and purposes....2 terrible managers, and for the most part he has gotten along with them, but the overriding theme is that Frank is evil....Did I mention he can't throw? Not just below average, because that wouldn't be the biggest deal in the world, but literally can NOT throw, you will never see Frank start any putout ...Never

Remember when Frank wouldnt play with a bad ankle? Oh, baseball sized thing removed from it? Hmmmmm...Well what about when David Wells called him our over not playing hurt? Torn what? hmmmmm

Well remember when he said he said he wanted to Hit HR? What? He hit 40+ that year, plus alot of walks and great OBP and OPS numbers? And for 5 million or so that year? Which is what Royce Clayton made the year before? and He will make 6 million next year??!?!? Less than Koch and Konerko of course, a ton less than Crazy Carl's deal this year, and probably 100 other players he outproduced?

Well I think the case is clear, Frank is the problem!

Man its so easy when you just break it down

RichH55
09-19-2003, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by Paulwny
1st base is first and foremost a position for an offensive player, always was, always will be, any defense is just an added bonus.
Some of the wost defensive players in the history of the game have played 1st base.

What if that player can't throw!!?????!?!!?
Surely, you are mistaken

RichH55
09-19-2003, 06:28 PM
Again, on a scale of 1-10, a firstbaseman's arm is about a 1.5 in terms of importance. In fact the only time I have ever even heard it discussed is on this board in defense of Konerko. When I said it to my flubbie fan buddy earlier this year, he laughed out loud.

Batting average is an overrated stat. OBP and OPS are much better ones and Frank is at the top of the team in both categorys.

Have some more Konehead Kool-Aid...

If arm for defense at 1st is 1.5 in terms of importance...that what is 1B defense on the whole in importance?

Daver whats your theory on 1B D and costing runs/games

Daver
09-19-2003, 06:37 PM
If arm for defense at 1st is 1.5 in terms of importance...that what is 1B defense on the whole in importance?

Daver whats your theory on 1B D and costing runs/games

I know nothing about baseball.

TornLabrum
09-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by Daver
I know nothing about baseball.

Then Mark Buehrle and Jerry Manuel are right about us fans!