PDA

View Full Version : '67 Sox vs '03 Sox - could someone fill me in?

Bruck35
09-19-2003, 01:06 AM
I've been reading some other posts about the differences between the '67 sox and '03 sox, and I'm just curious as to what happened to them back in '67. How was the situation different? Were they big favorites from the beginning of the season?

I've only been a major Sox fan for the past 6-7 years, and this ending is shaping up to be the most disappointing yet and the biggest waste of potential. Though I'm still heading down for Sunday's game and will be happy to watch the team one last time till April...it's been a fun ride even with the crappy ending.

TommyJohn
09-19-2003, 05:12 AM
Originally posted by Bruck35
I've been reading some other posts about the differences between the '67 sox and '03 sox, and I'm just curious as to what happened to them back in '67. How was the situation different? Were they big favorites from the beginning of the season?

I've only been a major Sox fan for the past 6-7 years, and this ending is shaping up to be the most disappointing yet and the biggest waste of potential. Though I'm still heading down for Sunday's game and will be happy to watch the team one last time till April...it's been a fun ride even with the crappy ending.

In 1967 the White Sox were part of a four team pennant chase
that was the closest the AL had for years. They were in first for
I think 66 days. The other contenders were Boston, Detroit and
Minnesota. The Sox were in it despite a team batting average of

In the final week of the season, the Sox were 1/2 game out with
5 games to go against two of the worst teams in baseball- the
Kansas City A's and the Washington Senators. It was a sweet-
heart of a schedule and the odds favored them.

Well, on September 27, they lost a twi-night doubleheader that
dropped them 1.5 games back and left them needing to sweep
Washington to ensure a tie. They lost the first game to the
Senators 1-0, then the next two to close the season with a 5
game losing streak that left them 3 games back. Obviously hav-
ing a cupcake schedule for the last few games meant nothing.
Would that the same thing could happen this year to Minnesota,
but they don't have "SOX" on their uniforms so it won't.

Dan H
09-19-2003, 06:33 AM
Actually the '67 team overachieved. Yes, they blew it in the last week of the season, but they had a team batting average in the '220's. They won a 17-inning game 1-0. They won a 10-inning game 4-0 when Don Buford hit a grand slam in the bottom in the tenth. They shut out the mighty Tigers twice in a doubleheader. These four shut outs came in a week's time. The last week of the season finally exposed them for the one dimensional team they were. Yet, they were still the closest to going to the World Series than any Sox team since 1959.

To add insult to injury, they lost the first 10 games of the 1968 season to compile a nifty 15 game losing streak. In that span they averaged something like two runs a game.

That is why '03 collapse is more painful. This year's team has so much more talent and had no business dropping five in a row to the same team, especially when that team is their main rival. What a waste of a season.

davenicholson
09-19-2003, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
Actually the '67 team overachieved. Yes, they blew it in the last week of the season, but they had a team batting average in the '220's. They won a 17-inning game 1-0. They won a 10-inning game 4-0 when Don Buford hit a grand slam in the bottom in the tenth. They shut out the mighty Tigers twice in a doubleheader. These four shut outs came in a week's time. The last week of the season finally exposed them for the one dimensional team they were. Yet, they were still the closest to going to the World Series than any Sox team since 1959.

To add insult to injury, they lost the first 10 games of the 1968 season to compile a nifty 15 game losing streak. In that span they averaged something like two runs a game.

That is why '03 collapse is more painful. This year's team has so much more talent and had no business dropping five in a row to the same team, especially when that team is their main rival. What a waste of a season.
Dan,

Thanks for the memory refresh! You've answered the question I asked in the "Hey Older Sox Fans" thread!

Bruck35
09-19-2003, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the info guys!

Lip Man 1
09-19-2003, 12:43 PM
There are numerous historical columns and full features on 1967 located throughout this web site. Feel free to browse.

Lip