PDA

View Full Version : Big Frank - Keep him or dump him?

shane
09-19-2003, 01:39 AM
Just curious. I say keep him.

inta
09-19-2003, 01:43 AM
dump him. use the money to re-sign someone worth a damn on this team since uncle jerry will probably tighten the salary strings after the season ticket holder base drops below 10k.

FJA
09-19-2003, 01:55 AM
Keep him and start him at 1B next season, if for no other reason than to see if it makes a serious difference offensively. Stats from five years ago and short bursts of 1B action this past year are always used to unequivocally say that Frank belongs at first base. Since he hasn't been used there for a significant stretch in years, I don't know how accurate those stats are for 2004, but I say we try it.

Worst-case scenario, Frank doesn't produce and his bad defense puts some runners on base that shouldn't be there. I highly doubt his defense is going to actually be the sole or even main cause of us losing a significant amount of games. We will know in April at least, rather than trying an experiment in August or September.

Best-case scenario, the selective stats do reflect a true trend and we have a major upgrade and a true "tone-setter." I think it's worth the risk if we can get back some form of the mid-'90s Frank.

I also think we need to give this a shot because if Frank goes to a National League team and starts playing like the mid-'90s Frank Thomas because he's playing first base, we can all get together for a collective vomit, because that's what it's going to feel like. There are just way too many people who talk about the difference between Frank at first and Frank at DH for us not to take the risk and see, because we will be an even bigger league embarrassment if we let him get away and he outdoes his 2001-2003 self.

bc2k
09-19-2003, 02:06 AM
If he wants to be here, I want him here. If 6 million ain't good enough for him, then his comments about spending all this time on one team was all hot air.

I'd like to see Frank at 6, and trade Magglio and Konerko for AROD.

LuvSox
09-19-2003, 09:39 AM
:threadsucks