PDA

View Full Version : Singleton bashing

CubKiller
08-28-2001, 09:32 PM
I don't get why everyone is on Singleton's case.

Obviously, he's never gonna put up numbers like Konerko or Maggs. But he's a decent ballplayer and he does contribute, whether it's a sac bunt, sac fly, moving a runner along, great catch, he helps the team in a number of different ways. And he's batting around .290, despite being in and out of the line-up all year long.

Most guys would caused a commotion if they were written of they way Chris was in the offseason and spring training, but he kept his mouth shut the whole time. Finally a few weeks back, he hinted at wanting to play elswhere, and who could blame him?

I think he's an excellent guy to have on the team. Whether as a starter or as a 4th outfielder. But I guess no one at WSI (or in the Sox front office) seems to think so.

Let me just say this now, so no one else has to - he does get caught stealing way too much and should have a higher OBA.

But overall - he's a decent ballplayer.

KempersRS
08-28-2001, 09:34 PM
I bash him only for the reason that he has a terrible eye at the plate and he can't steal a base for his life. :)

danman31
08-28-2001, 09:38 PM
Sox fans on this site as a whole will go back and forth with players. Valentin for one. He was hurt and not playing well. Then he got healthy and hot and is now again the fan favorite you see him as now. There are some that don't like him hot or cold, but the point is the fans on this site change from who they like and don't on how they are performing. When Royce was under .100(OMG) he was hounded with good reason, then he got his average up to .231(still not good) and was hot. Now he is still .231(not a hard BA to maintain) and is getting hounded again.

So if Singleton gets hot, he will become popular. Until then he will get bashed a little.

CubKiller
08-28-2001, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS ... he can't steal a base for his life. :) [/B]

I don't get why he's so bad at it this year, but...

20/25 in '99
22/29 in '00

chisoxt
08-28-2001, 09:44 PM
Chris is a teriffic guy who is a fourth or fifth outfileder at best. The problem with Chris, as noted is his lack base-stealing skills, poor eye at the plate and lousy run production. All that is fine, except he doesn't understand why the sox are looking at other center fielders.

FarWestChicago
08-28-2001, 09:48 PM
Sox fans on this site as a whole will go back and forth with players. Valentin for one.

The people who turned on Manos were reacting emotionally at the time. They came back to the fold as soon as they calmed down.

danman31
08-28-2001, 09:55 PM
The people who turned on Manos were reacting emotionally at the time. They came back to the fold as soon as they calmed down.

Exactly, people's opinion of the players change from time to time. It doesn't matter what the reason is, people go back and forth at times. Sometimes it is from the disappointment of a big k or error someone made. The shockwave lasts about a day. Singleton had a good day, and as I predict he will be "popular" for until about 6pm tomorrow.

Daver
08-28-2001, 10:15 PM
Singleton is a good fourth outfeilder,enough said.

Soxboyrob
08-29-2001, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by KempersRS
I bash him only for the reason that he...can't steal a base for his life. :)

You're basing that assertion on this year's numbers only. What about '99 and 2000 when he was virtually unstoppable on the basepaths? He didn't steal a whole lot, but had an approximately .750-.800 stealing percentage coming into this season.

He's no star, but he's an overall decent player. Not only is he an excellent defensive replacement, he's a lefty that is actually a half decent hitter. It would be foolish to dump this guy for nothing. A better batting eye can be developed a lot more easily than a solid centerfielder.

Randar68
08-29-2001, 11:00 AM
He's no star, but he's an overall decent player. Not only is he an excellent defensive replacement, he's a lefty that is actually a half decent hitter. It would be foolish to dump this guy for nothing. A better batting eye can be developed a lot more easily than a solid centerfielder

Not usually in a guy who's almost 30....

Soxboyrob
08-29-2001, 11:07 AM
I feel that having a good batting eye is a combination of concentration, focus and a desire to play in a team concept, instead of amassing personal stats. As a person ages, I think they develop more of an ability to focus and concentrate. I don't know enough about Singleton's team concept. Sosa sure appears to have developed his hitting eye over the last 3 years. When you look at Sammy's improvement in that area, it's almost astounding. Why not Chris? Maybe when Singleton hits 60+ homers next year, they'll start pitching around him and he'll get more walks then. Whatdaya think?

Randar68
08-29-2001, 11:18 AM
I feel that having a good batting eye is a combination of concentration, focus and a desire to play in a team concept, instead of amassing personal stats. As a person ages, I think they develop more of an ability to focus and concentrate. I don't know enough about Singleton's team concept. Sosa sure appears to have developed his hitting eye over the last 3 years. When you look at Sammy's improvement in that area, it's almost astounding. Why not Chris? Maybe when Singleton hits 60+ homers next year, they'll start pitching around him and he'll get more walks then. Whatdaya think?

Well Sammy has more than 20 intentional walks. That's more than Chris total walks. Pitchers pitch around Sammy in such a way that even he can't bring himself to swing at them. Ozzie Gullen would have had 100 walks a season if he got the pitches Sammy gets.

I don't know, it's just my opinion, but I don't see any chance Chris ever learns how to take walks....

Procol Harum
08-29-2001, 11:19 AM
I think the general consensus among WSI folk is that Singleton is ok--which translates into being a nice back-up outfielder. He lacks selectivity at the plate, his obp is not what you might hope for from the prototypical center fielder (or else he would have long ago supplanted Durham in the leadoff spot given his inconsistency), he all-too-often comes up short with men in scoring position, and his arm is average. On top of it all, in this day and age--and especially in the AL--you would ideally like to get a little more power from your centerfielder. Let's face it--'99 was his career year. Heck, Cameron was sent packing after just one mediocre season and at a lot younger age (yeah, I know, that was a major Schuller boo-boo but the similarlity in the two cases ends at the fact that both are in CF). Clearly, for this team CF is one spot where we can clearly make ourselves stronger. Now if we can just address that other major sore spot

:ray
"Wha'chu talkin' about, Procol?"

FarWestChicago
08-29-2001, 11:21 AM
Well Sammy has more than 20 intentional walks. That's more than Chris total walks. Pitchers pitch around Sammy in such a way that even he can't bring himself to swing at them.

Except in extra innings last night. LOL!!

I fixed your message. Use [ instead of <.

Chisox353014
08-29-2001, 01:47 PM
Sox fans on this site as a whole will go back and forth with players.

True. Although I have disliked Clayton non-stop since the moment we acquired him. :)