PDA

View Full Version : So....................................what will the Sox's reception tomorrow be like?

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2003, 10:08 PM
I'm laughing just thinking about it.

Me, I will sit on my hands as they take the field. I refuse to boo them, despite the massive suckage the past week.

But with a full house, I DO expect some boo-birds.

:)

Jerko
09-18-2003, 10:10 PM
I know a lot of people who are going tomorrow, and I fear for their well being. IT WILL GET UGLY.

SoxFanDan
09-18-2003, 10:10 PM
There is no way this game will have more than 15,000 fans, i dont care how many tickets were sold.

DonkeyKongerko
09-18-2003, 10:11 PM
Mass funeral. Please observe 9 innings of silence.

Jurr
09-18-2003, 10:11 PM
I hope they get batteries thrown at them in the outfield.

THE_HOOTER
09-18-2003, 10:12 PM
I'M SORRY, BUT I WILL BOO MY ASS OFF.

THERE ARE SOOO MANY GUYS ON THIS TEAM THAT SHOULD GIVE HALF OF THEIR PAYCHECKS BACK.

NICE GAME COLON---

NICE GAME FRANK--ALTHOUGH IF YOU WERE AT FIRST YOU WOULD BE MVP!

NICE GAME DAUBACH--GOOD GOD WHAT A BUM.

NICE GAME JOSE---YOU BETTER PRAY YOUR NOT IN THE LINEUP TOMORROW. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR, SHAVE THE STACHE.

Jurr
09-18-2003, 10:12 PM
Or, in the tradition of Bill Veeck, do the Silent Night thing, where everyone has to be totally dead silent. That would be appropriate.

MRKARNO
09-18-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

Me, I will sit on my hands as they take the field. I refuse to boo them, despite the massive suckage the past week.

If I were at that game I'd boo the crap out of them. I'd boo each player each pitcher besides Gordon who seems to be the only one that acutally cared and didnt just say so.

voodoochile
09-18-2003, 10:13 PM
I don't think they will be introducing Jerry Manuel... Cooper might be sent out to make any pitching changes...

THE_HOOTER
09-18-2003, 10:14 PM
I think it would be better if everyone stayed in the lots and tailgated.

dpbyron
09-18-2003, 10:15 PM
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

I already ripped my ticket up. This team is a joke.

jabrch
09-18-2003, 10:16 PM
and I will cheer for them. This is still my baseball team. I still support them. I am disappointed in what happened in Minnesota. Some of the guys (in particular Frank, Mags and Paulie) hit so poorly... I don't know....... I am so upset... I was hoping this game would mean so much more....

Is there any chance that Detroit can pull out a miracle for us? ahhhhhh

I don't even have words right now...this sucks.

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by jabrch

Is there any chance that Detroit can pull out a miracle for us? ahhhhhh

Do yourself a favor, and "don't go there."

It's over. We lost.

1951Campbell
09-18-2003, 10:20 PM
Every single person should show up 45 minutes early...pack the place...and when they come out on the field, everyone leaves.

I know, I know. Impossible. But the Sox in the playoffs was going to be the one bright spot in this semester at law school...and they blew it.

Viva Magglio
09-18-2003, 10:20 PM
It ought to be interesting when Gene Honda says "Here is the lineup submitted by manager Jerry Manuel."

Dick Allen
09-18-2003, 10:21 PM
Whoever actually shows up for the game - after the 1st pitch, everybody walk out and tailgate in the parking lot. Of course, with traffic in this wonderful city, there wouldn't be enough people there in time for the 1st pitch.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
NICE GAME FRANK--ALTHOUGH IF YOU WERE AT FIRST YOU WOULD BE MVP!

Really, Hooter, this is way over the top. Nobody has said anything of the sort about Thomas. If Manuel had no options for fixing the Sox offense, nobody would complain about his bullheaded refusal to make these non-existent moves. The fact he HAS OPTIONS and refuses to make them is why he will be fired--and rightly so.

Put your best team on the field and let the chips fall where they may. Manuel consistently failed to do this and it will cost him his job. He had the best players and still might finish third.

If you're too bullheaded to admit this much, then there really is no point discussing it further.

duke of dorwood
09-18-2003, 10:23 PM
Reward the crowd by introducing a new manager

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2003, 10:26 PM
Please don't boo the White Sox. Show respect for the ballplayers and show some respect for yourselves, too. Booing them is only a poor reflection on Sox Fans. Better to sit on your hands than boo them.

JRIG
09-18-2003, 10:27 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Please don't boo the White Sox. Show respect for the ballplayers and show some respect for yourselves, too. Booing them is only a poor reflection on Sox Fans. Better to sit on your hands than boo them.

I agree. But I'd say feel free to boo Manuel.

luvsox56
09-18-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
I agree. But I'd say feel free to boo Manuel.

Both points sound good to me but I have a feeling there will be a lot of booing. I personally will be paying more attention to my beer and hot dog because, like most of you, I am at a loss... :(:

MRKARNO
09-18-2003, 10:34 PM

I know where you're coming from and I'm not going to the game, but I would boo because they forgot about us. They didnt remember what they were fighting for besides their paychecks. They didnt remember the fans

And as far as reputation is concerned, I think that all of baseball would sympathize with us. I could just see Harold Reynolds saying "I don't blame them. If I were a sox fan, I'd be pissed too. I myself thought they would be dangerous come the playoff time and they folded under the pressure and didnt even make it that far"

HawkDJ
09-18-2003, 10:39 PM
My opinion is, if you're going to the game..boo the Sox all you want. We may get a bad reputation for it and it may not be respectful but to me that's one thing that separates us from Cubs fans. We don't accept terrible play and underachieving. They decided not to show up for a "playoff" series so show them how you feel.

THE_HOOTER
09-18-2003, 10:44 PM
Really, Hooter, this is way over the top. Nobody has said anything of the sort about Thomas. If Manuel had no options for fixing the Sox offense, nobody would complain about his bullheaded refusal to make these non-existent moves. The fact he HAS OPTIONS and refuses to make them is why he will be fired--and rightly so.

Put your best team on the field and let the chips fall where they may. Manuel consistently failed to do this and it will cost him his job. He had the best players and still might finish third.

If you're too bullheaded to admit this much, then there really is no point discussing it further.

George,

I don't have to admit that because I agree and believe that 100%

I have painfully watched soooooo many poor decisions-my fav being pulling Colon in Wrigley--- to not know that our manager thinks he has a little man on his shoulder telling him things that WILL happen.

My point was Thomas sucks in the clutch, and I dont think we need to pay him 6-8 mil next year when we know if pch came to shove he turns into a vagina.

I will concede one thing however--I do think Manuel has a much worse effect on a ballclub than any player slump can. I think when Everitt leaves, we will hear about.

If there is a guy I keep, he might be the one cause he plays really hard.

It would be just plain dumb to bring back any Alomar without colon, Gordon ,and Sullivan.

bc2k
09-18-2003, 11:04 PM
If Comiskey wasn't sold out, I'd buy a ticket just to show up and boo.

One thing I hope is that tomorrow's fans are knowledgeable and boo each player that deserves it, not the ones that don't.

Every fan there tomorrow should stand, take off their hat, and thank Carl Everett with applause.

Let's get creative with the booing too. In 2001 Comiskey fans were chanting MVP to Royce Clayton after a hit. How about some of that thoughtful participation.

Boo the pizza, ATM, and airplane races. When the kiss cam comes on, don't kiss. Instead, take off your Sox hat and throw it on the ground.

Normally I don't like seeing this, but how about throwing back White Sox home runs tomorrow? This is a home run hitting team that died because of its fatuation with the long ball. Show the Sox hitters we don't appreciate their selfish hitting.

Get an autograph from Thomas and rip it up in his face.

Cheer your behind off for Tony Pena.

How about some chants of "F the cubs!"?

Boo White Sox home runs.

Cheer for every Sox double play, every popup too.

Overall, mix it up and while conventional booing has its place, don't depend on it the way the Sox hitters depend on the home run.

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
I know where you're coming from and I'm not going to the game, but I would boo because they forgot about us. They didnt remember what they were fighting for besides their paychecks. They didnt remember the fans

I don't know who decided that failure always equates to a lack of effort but I think that's utterly ridiculous. I know we care a lot as fans but I think most of the players are taking this pretty hard. Imagine a hypothetical situation where you want to win incredibly badly, try as hard as you've ever tried at anything in your life, and fail. Then the people whose approval you seek the most, who pay your salary, who you go to great lengths to please boo you like dogs in your home. I'm hurt by our lack of success but personally, I think that'd hurt a lot more.

Don't waste your time telling me about how they're professionals and they make millions. That's no excuse. Anyone watching the game tonight saw how upset players like Thomas and Gordon looked. They're crushed. Why you have to make it worse for them just because you're upset too is beyond me.

voodoochile
09-18-2003, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
I don't know who decided that failure always equates to a lack of effort but I think that's utterly ridiculous. I know we care a lot as fans but I think most of the players are taking this pretty hard. Imagine a hypothetical situation where you want to win incredibly badly, try as hard as you've ever tried at anything in your life, and fail. Then the people whose approval you seek the most, who pay your salary, who you go to great lengths to please boo you like dogs in your home. I'm hurt by our lack of success but personally, I think that'd hurt a lot more.

Don't waste your time telling me about how they're professionals and they make millions. That's no excuse. Anyone watching the game tonight saw how upset players like Thomas and Gordon looked. They're crushed. Why you have to make it worse for them just because you're upset too is beyond me.

jeremy, you and I finally agree.

However, I am going to boo Manuel if he comes to the mound to make pitching change. I won't be able to stop myself. That man needs to go. I know you don't blame him as much as I do, so I don't expect you to agree, but somethings just need killing. Jerry's job is one of them...

inta
09-18-2003, 11:23 PM
I'm likely going to the game tomorrow and while I want to boo this team, I'll probably only boo manuel.
I've been saying it all year, it's the managers job to ignite this team and he obviously hasn't done that. meanwhile dusty baker has turned a sad bunch of losers into a playoff contender for the drubs.

tomorrow will probably be the last sox game i got to for a few years if this team goes the rebuilding route. and if some nut jumps the fence and attacks manuel, i'll cheer him.

kittle42
09-18-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
If Comiskey wasn't sold out, I'd buy a ticket just to show up and boo.

I have some extra tix. If you promise to boo, you can have them cut rate!

I plan to go and make anti-JM signs and boo until my heart's content. I have been to 25 games this year. I have the right.

inta
09-18-2003, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
I have some extra tix. If you promise to boo, you can have them cut rate!

I plan to go and make anti-JM signs and boo until my heart's content. I have been to 25 games this year. I have the right.

yeah, i'm sure you'll be able to buy tickets outside for dirt cheap.
that's what i'm counting on.

shane
09-18-2003, 11:32 PM
Originally posted by MRKARNO
If I were at that game I'd boo the crap out of them. I'd boo each player each pitcher besides Gordon who seems to be the only one that acutally cared and didnt just say so.

Why would you boo Everett and Marte? Everett definitely cared last night and it was obvious.

shane
09-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Reward the crowd by introducing a new manager

I think Manuel should be fired tomorrow. It's happened a few times in recent years. Name someone to be interim manager and send Manuel on his way. It must happen. Don't wait until the season is over.

LASOXFAN
09-19-2003, 01:43 AM
Show some class, they got beat by a better team. Yes, a better team in the true sense of the word "team."

Manuel's a dying dog on the side of the road. Kick him if you must. He deserves to go, no doubt. For all of his shortcomings I believe he did the best he could and tried hard. Yes, he still sucks. Yes, he's an idiot and he cost us games and possibly the dream of a world series. But he should've been let go three years ago so blame JR for giving him an extension and not letting him go earlier this year when he had the perfect opportunity to do so. He's going to get boo'd and he deserves to. So probably do the players.

But since this season is not "officially" over it might be nice to show the same fight and determination that you wish your team had. Go down supporting them. I mean, come on, these are the Sox we're talking about. You chose this team. Stand by your choice.

MisterB
09-19-2003, 02:21 AM
If I were in a position to be there, I'd really be torn. I'd want to root for them like a good fan should, but the disappointment at their utter failure in Minnesota would be too much to hold in. I suggest a compromise: When Gene Honda announces "YOUR Chicago White Sox...", the team gets one good round of boos from all in attendance to tell them "You guys screwed up. You know it. We know it. And we're not happy about it". From then on, cheer the good, jeer the bad, but let them know they're still our team.

34 Inch Stick
09-19-2003, 08:57 AM
Take a newspaper and read it during either the lineup announcement or the first at bat. Show as much interest in the game as the team showed in Minnesota.

Manuel is done. There is no need to show any emotion towards him to send a message to management. Since he has given no indication that he is a bad person I will not make his last days any more painfull. I have a feeling this team is going to tank and he will be repaid that way.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by shane
Why would you boo Everett and Marte? Everett definitely cared last night and it was obvious.

Me personally, I won't boo anyone except Manuel. If I were to be a booer, I certainly wouldn't boo any of the starters. They have pitched admirably this season, and even in the Twins series (Loaiza's egg notwithstanding) - we didn't get blown out due to pitching. I wouldn't boo our relievers either. Marte and Gordon had great seasons - far better than any of us predicted. And Koch, well, I was done booing him a long time ago when I reduced my expectations to nothing. I wouldnt boo either Alomar - they certainly tried. I would certainly not boo Lee or Everett. They are both hustle guys who embody the kind of player fans want to see. I wouldn't boo Miguel...I know he can't hit offspeed/low stuff, but I will give him a year. I wouldn't boo Manos - he did exactly what was expected from him - nothing more nothing less. I stopped booing Crede after the first half of the season, when he picked it up. Maybe he deseres a retroactive boo - for his crumby play from April until August.

That leaves the heart of the order...Frank, Mags and Paulie. Ya know what...I think they know how bad they played when we needed it most. I certainly won't be cheering, I can tell you that. We lost 5 in a row to Minnesota and those three were hardly anywhere to be seen. I can't fault anyone who boos them. Next year, if we bring all of them back, they will cost approximately $30,000,000 out of our (approx) 55-60MM payroll. And in September, they gave us nothing this year.

Boo the players if you must, that is cool. I think I will cheer for the hustle guys, sit on my hands for the others, and boo the heck out of Manuel.

Procol Harum
09-19-2003, 09:19 AM
My boys and I are going tonight and I'm torn. My gut feeling is to boo until I'm red in the face. On the other hand, realistically, I know these goofs surely tried to win up in Minnie and are feeling worse than any of us.

Aside from booing Manuel when he makes his first appearance (seems like this is a duty, not a choice), I'd say perhaps the appropriate response might be total silence as the Sox take the field at the start of the game. An embarassing silence following an embarassing sweep, in yet another embarassing season, for an increasingly embarassing franchise. It would probably get the message across that we are not amused.

FanOf14
09-19-2003, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Take a newspaper and read it during either the lineup announcement or the first at bat. Show as much interest in the game as the team showed in Minnesota.

I am bringing a book. The way these guys are playing I will probably be done with it by the 5th and it is a 300 pg bk and I am only about 30 pgs into it!

I am not wasting my efforts in booing, because it won't make the players care all of a sudden and it will make me more surly, and I don't want to start my weekend like that.

jabrch
09-19-2003, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by Jurr
I hope they get batteries thrown at them in the outfield.

That's terrible...

gosox41
09-19-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice

BOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Underacheiving 3 years in a row and choking in big games gets that result. I'm beyond frustrated. At least pretend like they care if they win or lose.

I don't even want to go this weekend, but my wife is from KC and wants to see the Royals.

Bob

bc2k
09-19-2003, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by jabrch
That's terrible...

only if we miss...

shane
09-19-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by MisterB
If I were in a position to be there, I'd really be torn. I'd want to root for them like a good fan should, but the disappointment at their utter failure in Minnesota would be too much to hold in. I suggest a compromise: When Gene Honda announces "YOUR Chicago White Sox...", the team gets one good round of boos from all in attendance to tell them "You guys screwed up. You know it. We know it. And we're not happy about it". From then on, cheer the good, jeer the bad, but let them know they're still our team.

By far, the most sensible approach. Add to this, Boo as loud as possible everytime JM appears on the field.

shane
09-19-2003, 10:55 AM
only if we miss...

Please, not batteries. Philly sucks for this reason alone. Why don't you go ahead and cheer frantically when someone gets injured too? Let's show the baseball world that Sox fans love this sport and love their Sox. Boo if you must, but cheering on their will to keep winning after good plays or ABs sends the message that we aren't just a bunch of dumbasses like philly and wrigley. I think a boo in the beginning is sufficient. If any of you have ever been to Kauffman I would think you would want the Sox to beat the crap out of KC. I know I'll be cheering on the boys come september 27th.

SpringfldFan
09-19-2003, 11:14 AM
Ultimately, we pay they players' salaries. We pay them handsomely in return for a job well done. They have not given us a job well done and since we cannot withhold their checks, we at least should be entitled to voice our disappointment with a few boos...

harwar
09-19-2003, 11:22 AM
I think that booing is about as damn silly as the wave.I'm going to all 6 six games just to say goodbye,i've been a Sox fan for a long time,i can just barely remember all the crazy parties in 59.I'm not sure if i will be back next year or give up on baseball & maybe all sports in general.

VeeckAsInWreck
09-19-2003, 11:35 AM
Booing people is just stupid. What does that do? Nothing!

Throwing batteries at players? Yeah, that is cool if you are in Yankee stadium, but when it is done elsewhere (like the Cell) it is just classless. Ask ESPN!

If you are going to bother paying for seats, parking and beverages, go to cheer your team. You want to show your displeasure, just don't go. Find something else to do.

I will be there on Saturday and Sunday, cheering this team until it is declared eliminated, some of you are giving up too early. That is why the rest of the schedule still has to be played.

BeerHandle
We still have about 28 out of our original 32 going to the game. At least we can have fun tailgating. It is going to be a long, cold winter. The Sox have many decisions to make regarding players. JM will be taken off life support after the last game of the year. How could he not get this team up for this series? We looked like a bunch of scared rookies. I thought this was a veteran team!

ewokpelts
My ticket rep thinks they'll be booed...

jabrch
09-19-2003, 02:07 PM
only if we miss...

If we have Frank and Valentin throwing, the odds are good we will miss!