PDA

View Full Version : My idea for the fate of Mark Buehrle...

oheeoh...magglio
09-18-2003, 06:24 PM
I posted this in a seperate thread, but I wanted to get some feedback on whether this is either possible and if so, if you think it's a good idea. My idea is that we trade Mark Buehrle to St. Louis for Edgar Renteria. Buehrle is up for arbitration after this year, and I know Renteria's salary, compared to that of Buehrle's after arbitration, will be a significant decrease. I figure by doing this, we can also dump valentin's salary, keep graffanino, and then resign big bad bart as a long term number one starter. I'm just curious what everybody thinks about this idea, like could it happen and do u like the idea?

hose
09-18-2003, 06:44 PM
Originally posted by oheeoh...magglio
I posted this in a seperate thread, but I wanted to get some feedback on whether this is either possible and if so, if you think it's a good idea. My idea is that we trade Mark Buehrle to St. Louis for Edgar Renteria. Buehrle is up for arbitration after this year, and I know Renteria's salary, compared to that of Buehrle's after arbitration, will be a significant decrease. I figure by doing this, we can also dump valentin's salary, keep graffanino, and then resign big bad bart as a long term number one starter. I'm just curious what everybody thinks about this idea, like could it happen and do u like the idea?

Renteria is arguably the best short stop in the National League....I make that trade in a heart beat.

Soxheads
09-18-2003, 07:20 PM
I couldn't see myself ever trading Buehrle.

oheeoh...magglio
09-18-2003, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by Soxheads
I couldn't see myself ever trading Buehrle.

It's hard for me to imagine too, but here's 4 reasons why I think this could happen and why I like this idea.

1. Renteria is a good, young shortstop who hits for average, fields well, and doesn't only hit homers.

2. This move dumps salary so we can re-sign bart, especially if we can get rid of valentin after acquiring renteria.

3. Buehrle has made it clear that after 2004, he wants to go sign with st. louis anyways.

4. I think that both teams would do this trade. St. Louis is desperate for a starting pitcher, and the Sox need a young shortstop, and to get younger in general, and would avoid paying arbitration money to Buehrle.

I know i mentioned those first 2 in the opening post, but I want to reemphasize why I like this idea so much.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-18-2003, 08:06 PM
i really like the deal, but it seems like the cardinals are unwilling to trade anyone other than the walking injury J.D. Drew as someone mentioned before, but i'd do this deal in a heartbeat if we re-signed bartolo

gosox41
09-18-2003, 08:15 PM

I don't like the idea at all. If the Sox do trade Buehrle, wh osays it has to be St. Louis? Just because he wants to be there? Big deal.

Bob

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 08:26 PM
I think Renteria is outstanding but I wouldn't trade Buehrle for him. Some of the arguments in this thread are that:

1) Renteria is young.

Its true 28 isn't old, but Renteria is 4 years older than Buehrle. I'd say Buehrle is young and Renteria is in his prime. He's not really young or old at this point.

2) We'd save money.

Probably not. Renteria is arbitration elligible coming off his best season as far as I know and he made 6.5 million this season which is probably more than Buehrle figures to make in arbitration. Yes this saves us the money of adding a SS but we'd need to add a top of the rotation starting pitcher which is much more expensive.

3) Buehrle wants to go to St. Louis after 2004.

That's unfortunate for Mark since he's under our control until after the 2006 season.

Soxheads
09-18-2003, 09:01 PM
This whole Cardinals thing is blown way out of proportion.

Randar68
09-18-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by hose
Renteria is arguably the best short stop in the National League....I make that trade in a heart beat.

I agree. If Valentine's option get's picked up, they should trade MB and Jose for Renteria, and a pitching prospect and maybe Drew if they are trying to unload him that bad.

oheeoh...magglio
09-18-2003, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by gosox41
I don't like the idea at all. If the Sox do trade Buehrle, wh osays it has to be St. Louis? Just because he wants to be there? Big deal.

Bob

It doesn't have to be St. Louis, i'm just saying renteria, because he's a great shortstop and st. louis really needs a starting pitcher. It's just a wild card that buehrle wants to go to st. louis.

RichH55
09-18-2003, 09:29 PM
It doesn't have to be St. Louis, i'm just saying renteria, because he's a great shortstop and st. louis really needs a starting pitcher. It's just a wild card that buehrle wants to go to st. louis.

Agreed here..>Renteria would answer alot of questions...though we would have pitching issues unless we find more arms