PDA

View Full Version : KW offering extensions?

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 04:19 PM
So it was already reported that KW was offering Robbie Alomar and extension. Today's Sports Weekly reports that we also offered Gordon a 2.5 million extension next season. My big question is if our payroll stands at around $50 million without resigning any of our free agents as I discussed in the payroll thread, where is this money coming from? We're going to have numerous holes to fill considering how many players are leaving and I don't possibly understand how we're even going to fill our roster if we resign guys like Alomar and Gordon barring some huge salary dump or JR suddenly becomes a big spender.

Anyone have any thoughts on how KW can offer these extensions? Has he simply lost his mind? Or is he trying to offer deals he doesn't think the players will accept as a PR move? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

CHISOXFAN13
09-18-2003, 04:21 PM
I would assume that based on expected attendance for this weekend and next week's set with New York that our attendance will reach 1.9 million.

While not big by other team's standards, that is quite an increase. The increase in attendance started in mid-July with the acquisitions.

Maybe ownership is starting to understand what Sox fans want. Put a prouduct on the field, and we will come.

The again, I go regardless, so I guess I'm an idiot.

Randar68
09-18-2003, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by jeremyb1
So it was already reported that KW was offering Robbie Alomar and extension. Today's Sports Weekly reports that we also offered Gordon a 2.5 million extension next season. My big question is if our payroll stands at around $50 million without resigning any of our free agents as I discussed in the payroll thread, where is this money coming from? We're going to have numerous holes to fill considering how many players are leaving and I don't possibly understand how we're even going to fill our roster if we resign guys like Alomar and Gordon barring some huge salary dump or JR suddenly becomes a big spender.

Anyone have any thoughts on how KW can offer these extensions? Has he simply lost his mind? Or is he trying to offer deals he doesn't think the players will accept as a PR move? I can't figure it out for the life of me.

How much was offerred to Alomar? I haven't seen a $$$ put on it, but I am all for resigning him for a reasonable cost. Energy and defense more than worth it.

MetalliSox
09-18-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
How much was offerred to Alomar? I haven't seen a $$$ put on it, but I am all for resigning him for a reasonable cost. Energy and defense more than worth it.

I think I heard/read $4 mil a year.

THE_HOOTER
09-18-2003, 04:33 PM
thats way too much.

Hangar18
09-18-2003, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by KonerkosHip

that is way too much. 1.5 mil a year...for a couple yrs....

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 05:08 PM
I think it'd be pretty easy to find someone who matches Alomar's production for cheap in free agency. He's a below average hitter these days even for a second basemen.

thepaulbowski
09-18-2003, 05:15 PM

Maybe JR is realizing that Sox fans come, when the Sox themselves show life. He may realize that he needs to spend money to make money. I have this gut feeling that he is going to spend some money to bring back a good portion of this team, with a NEW MANAGER. If it doesn't work and people don't go to the games, then come next July he will dump salary. I hope this is the direction he is going, but only time will tell.

voodoochile
09-18-2003, 05:21 PM
I think the Sox are gambling on this team being close to a pennant run and are going to try to keep a bunch of the people. They realize that if they tear it down after this season then the media and fans will start really ripping on them and attendance next year might drop really low. With the flubbies having a solid 1-3 rotation and Sosa, they are going to probably be competitive for the next few years at least, but they are also maxed out attendance wise. They simply cannot draw more fans as Wrigley is currently configured, so there is going to be "baseball entertainment" money available next year - but only if they are actually entertaining.

The Sox have to make moves to keep the fans coming or they are going to fade away. Besides, they can always dump payroll at the deadline if necessary.

I just hope they find a way to move Konerko's contract even if it means taking a risk on another overpaid player. That worked out pretty well for the flubbies this year when they dumped Hundley and no one thought that was possible...

voodoochile
09-18-2003, 05:23 PM
I think it'd be pretty easy to find someone who matches Alomar's production for cheap in free agency. He's a below average hitter these days even for a second basemen.

I think the Sox like his intangibles and leadership. I doubt they pick up Valentin's option though and expect them to start Graff at SS unless they make a run at a FA SS or manage to get one in trade.

Konerko, Wright and Cotts for AROD... :D:

Paulwny
09-18-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile

The Sox have to make moves to keep the fans coming or they are going to fade away. Besides, they can always dump payroll at the deadline if necessary.

Exactly, if the cubs remain competative JR has to keep the sox competative or lose the entire Chi. to the cubs.

shane
09-18-2003, 05:47 PM
I think the Sox like his intangibles and leadership. I doubt they pick up Valentin's option though and expect them to start Graff at SS unless they make a run at a FA SS or manage to get one in trade.

Konerko, Wright and Cotts for AROD... :D:

Plus 20 mill and the Rangers might go for it. However, I'd rather take on a smaller Teixeira salary if we're dealing with Rangers.

soxtalker
09-18-2003, 05:53 PM

Unless they sit Valentine for most of the remaining games, isn't he guaranteed $5M?

Randar68
09-18-2003, 05:57 PM

Ugggg. I doubt that would happen. If they didn't think they'd have a decent starting SS next season, they probably wouldn't have traded Hummel, who could have been passable there.

voodoochile
09-18-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by shane
Plus 20 mill and the Rangers might go for it. However, I'd rather take on a smaller Teixeira salary if we're dealing with Rangers.

I was being facetious, but as I understand it, the Rangers realize that the AROD contract was a mistake and ties their hand financially bigtime. It would do the same to the Sox so I doubt they would do it, but I don't think the Sox would have to send any money at all.

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by thepaulbowski
Maybe JR is realizing that Sox fans come, when the Sox themselves show life. He may realize that he needs to spend money to make money. I have this gut feeling that he is going to spend some money to bring back a good portion of this team, with a NEW MANAGER. If it doesn't work and people don't go to the games, then come next July he will dump salary. I hope this is the direction he is going, but only time will tell.

That'd certainly be nice but 1) I'm way more skeptical of JR than to believe that and 2) I still don't want to resign Alomar for anything much more than 1.5 million.

Its just hard for me to believe that Reinsdorf would actually increase payroll by something like 20% after a winning season which is what it would take to keep this club together. I guess we'll see.

MetalliSox
09-18-2003, 08:40 PM

Check that, $4 mil for 2 years.

But just a rumor, who knows.

Randar68
09-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Check that, $4 mil for 2 years.

But just a rumor, who knows.

I'd do it in a heartbeat.

RichH55
09-18-2003, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by Randar68
I'd do it in a heartbeat.

That's the type of contract you need....I like alot of the little things Robbie does, but not at 4 million per......Robbie at 2 million and Flash Gordon at 2-2.5 per sounds pretty damn good to me

Randar68
09-18-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by RichH55
That's the type of contract you need....I like alot of the little things Robbie does, but not at 4 million per......Robbie at 2 million and Flash Gordon at 2-2.5 per sounds pretty damn good to me

With Hummel and Jimenez gone, they need to get someone for 2nd base next year at minimum. Harris isn't it.