PDA

View Full Version : Twins notes

LASOXFAN
09-18-2003, 12:41 PM
In a way, I feel like the pressure is suddenly on the Twins. They win tonight and they know they've got a lock on the division. They're not scraping to get the lead like they were last week and the last two days.

Also, have you noticed how well coached their hitters are? They are forcing the Sox pitchers (at least Garland and Loiza) to throw strikes. Granted, the strike zone is out of whack and it doesn't help when your manager starts arguing calls on the first pitch. They've generated walks and that's where they've scored their runs.

On the other side, the ESPN color guy got it right last night: the Sox aren't making adjustments. Bill Miller was giving Rogers the inside pitch and the Sox stayed right on top of the plate until the final out. They never stepped back in the box. Nor did they try to make Rogers pitch. They swung at crap outside the zone and were consistently behind all night. Seems like every time I looked up it was 0-2 or 1-2. It was just the opposite with Garland and Loiza. They gave them hitters counts all night. And the Twins aren't that good of a hitting team!! But when you're forced to groove one down the middle, any team becomes a good hitting team.

Greg Walker dropped the ball or the hitters didn't do what he asked. But the no adjustment thing really drives me nuts. These guys are supposedly professionals. And you can rest assured they'll be seeing plenty of off speed stuff from Lohse.

As for the Twins, I will enjoy watching them try to make Colon throw a lot of strikes. Because that's all he is throwing these days! They'll be behind in the count for a change. Lets see how they do then!

bc2k
09-18-2003, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Greg Walker dropped the ball or the hitters didn't do what he asked. But the no adjustment thing really drives me nuts. These guys are supposedly professionals. And you can rest assured they'll be seeing plenty of off speed stuff from Lohse.

I think Greg Walker is doing his job well. As well as Gary Ward and almost as well as Von Joshua. I have recently come to the conclusion that all of these hitting coaches are smart men and great teachers of hitting. It's our ignorant, play-for-themselves power hitters that are at fault.

Like Ed Farmer said during last night's telecast, Sox hitters successfully hit to all fields during batting practice, but in the games they abandon that approach and pull everything.

Get rid of these hitters who don't listen and refuse to play for the betterment of the team and issue a public apology to Von Joshua and Gary Ward. And hire back Von to teach hitters that listen to him.