PDA

View Full Version : Unbearable!

alohafri
09-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Life at work is becoming unbearable. The boss is a scrub fan, and already the koolaid is starting to flow around the office. It is getting to be a real drag.

The boss has been rubbing it in---saying how the scrubs are looking good and how the Sox are done in his snide, smug way....he tries not to sound that way, but I've known him long enough that he's just oozing scrubbie blue. I've been changing the subject each time he brings it up.

I don't know how I can survive this--anyone have any ideas? (And if I could, I would quit this job, so that's not an option)
:(:

---Mrs. Aloha

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2003, 10:56 AM
I just act as if the Flubs are a team from another city.

Like, who cares if the Dallas Cubs win their division?

:)

Viva Magglio
09-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Go to HR and tell them your boss is harrassing you.

Soxboyrob
09-18-2003, 11:48 AM
The best way to take the air out of a Cub fan's balloon is to just agree w/ him.
"uh huh, the Cubbies are great. They're going to go a long way. They might win it all." Tell them the Sox were overrated and that the Cubs always looked pretty good to you. The Cub fan will hate that. He/she wants you to be mired in misery. He wants to rub salt in your wound and you won't be letting him. It works for me every time. Then, in the event the Cubs blow it, change your tune immediately...."oh well, the Cubs didn't have it in them either." or my personal favorite...."what the heck happened to your Cubbies?" I make sure to ask that as if I'm genuinely concerned and perplexed.

harwar
09-18-2003, 11:55 AM
We had a gathering last night and the cub fans here were being very careful as the party turned into a sort of wake for the White Sox.
I fear the cubs are going to keep winning and things will just get worse.
For White Sox fans,it will keep getting worse and things will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it.
This may be a good time to take that overseas trip.

KingXerxes
09-18-2003, 12:17 PM
I've got a few friends that are Cub fans and I have to admit that they don't seem anywhere near as enthusiastic as I thought they would be about their team. The basic attitude seems to be that even if they may make a good run to finish out the year, Houston will also keep pace and get the division.

I really don't know what to think. I'm not a Cub hater like most people on this board, I just possess an overwhelming indifference toward them - viewing them much as I would the Florida Marlins and such - I guess I still really don't care what they do.

mike squires
09-18-2003, 12:23 PM
Whiz in his coffee.

alohafri
09-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Rob, I've pretty much gone with your strategy (because I have to) but it is his condescending manner that makes me seethe. I have to talk to him through clenched teeth, and it's hard to listen to him go on and on WHEN I DON'T WANT TO TALK ABOUT IT. I suppose I could continue to "grin and bear it" then hope for the worst for the scrubs.

He and I are the only ones in the company. I have no one to go to. And when those playoff tickets arrive at the office......ugh!!

:(:

Mrs. Aloha

pudge
09-18-2003, 12:33 PM
Don't fear, the Cubs aren't going anywhere either... when they drop a few games to Pittsburgh, you can give it right back to him...

Bobby Thigpen
09-18-2003, 12:34 PM
Just kick his ***. He's a Cubs fan so he can't be that manly.

LuvSox
09-18-2003, 01:14 PM
Go to the drug store. Purchase Syrup Of Ipecac, place it in his coffee. Wait for hilarity to ensue.

Chisox353014
09-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Well, my own personal plan is to completely avoid baseball as soon as the Sox have played their last meaningful game (which hopefully isn't tonight). Included in this plan is avoiding papers, local news and most if not all sports-related internet sites until the Baby Blue Losers are eliminated. Basically, the goal is to twist the old riddle about the tree falling in the woods around: "If the Scrubs make the playoffs but Chisox353014 is not there to see it, did the Scubs actually make the playoffs?" My plan will work because I don't have any Scrub fan acquaintances reminding me every day how wonderful they are. But you're in quite a pickle....
Hmmm....
My best advice at this point would be to trust to faith. The baseball gods hate the White Sox, but they also hate the northsiders; their inherent Cubbyness will do them in sooner or later. And if they end up missing the playoffs entirely, make sure to remind your boss how if the Scrubs hadn't lost 4 of 6 to the Sox they might have made it.

If that doesn't work, then the whiz in the coffee option sounds pretty good. :D:

alohafri
09-18-2003, 04:06 PM
"....And if they end up missing the playoffs entirely, make sure to remind your boss how if the Scrubs hadn't lost 4 of 6 to the Sox they might have made it. "

As I recall, right after the 2 series, many scrub fans went around saying those games don't count and they thought Sox fans made way too much of a deal out of those games. So it would be sweeeeeet to point out that, yes, those games did indeed count... :smile:

chisoxt
09-18-2003, 05:00 PM
Don't fear, the Cubs aren't going anywhere either... when they drop a few games to Pittsburgh, you can give it right back to him...

...Exactly! And when they do blow it, it woill be even more fun turning the tables on him!

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2003, 05:49 PM
Astros 6, Rockies 0, 9th inning.

:smile: :cool: :) :D: :gulp:

Foulke You
09-18-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Astros 6, Rockies 0, 9th inning.

:smile: :cool: :) :D: :gulp:

Thanks Cheeses. I needed some positive baseball vibe going into tonight. :)

Dick Allen
09-18-2003, 10:54 PM
Tell your boss you need his help, you've been looking without any success for a video store that carries a DVD "Cub World Series Highlights of the Past Half Century".

soxwon
09-18-2003, 11:05 PM
HERES PART OF AN ARTICLE BY AOL WRITER JIM ARMSTRONG
PLEASE SAY THE CUBS WONT WIN IT ALL> YOU THINK ITS BAD NOW_ IF THEY WIN ITS OVER FOR US.
SOMEONE HAS TO BEAT THE CUBS.

That and lots of pitching, which the Cubs haven't had since they decided Greg Maddux wasn't up to their lofty standards. How much pitching do the Cubs have these days? Let's put it this way. Kerry Wood, the major league leader in strikeouts, is their No. 3 starter.
__
Forget the National League Central. Houston, you have a problem. Ben and J.Lo are finished, but the Cubs are just getting started. What, you think some team is going to beat Mark Prior, Carlos Zambrano and Wood in a playoff series? You've been smoking too much ivy again, bubba.
__
Cubs pitchers don't just get hitters out. They blow them away, embarrass them, shrink their libidos, make them feel like Madonna turned them down at bar time. They've struck out more than 1,300 batters for three consecutive seasons. Only one other team, the 2002 Diamondbacks, has ever done it once.
__
The Cubs have four 13-game winners. The last time they had that many was in 1945, when they last played in the World Series. Wood has plunked 21 hitters. The last time a major league pitcher hit that many batters was in 1907, when the Cubs won the World Series.
__

So there you have it. Irrefutable, undeniable proof that the Cubs are going to win it all. What then? What do you think? We wait until the 21st century for it to happen again.

xil357
09-18-2003, 11:17 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
I just act as if the Flubs are a team from another city.

Like, who cares if the Dallas Cubs win their division?

:)

Please don't move that pathetic excuse for an MLB franchise any closer to me, even in jest.

On second thought, if it could mean BLOWING UP the Urinal and that team's cash cow, then I am for it.

ma-gaga
09-19-2003, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by alohafri

I don't know how I can survive this--anyone have any ideas? (And if I could, I would quit this job, so that's not an option)

---Mrs. Aloha

Suck it up. It's only baseball.

Vsahajpal
09-19-2003, 02:41 AM
Originally posted by KingXerxes
I've got a few friends that are Cub fans and I have to admit that they don't seem anywhere near as enthusiastic as I thought they would be about their team. The basic attitude seems to be that even if they may make a good run to finish out the year, Houston will also keep pace and get the division.

You said it, man. St. Louis laid down for the Stros, and will probably do it again. It's been a good year for the Cubs, better than I ever expected, but the Astros offense is peaking.

SpringfldFan
09-19-2003, 11:28 AM
I hate to say it, but you might just have to take your medicine on this one. First, if the tables were turned, would you be rubbing it in to the boss? If you would, then you have to accept it when you are on the crap side of it. That's part of the "game".

As much as I hate the cubs, I don't choose to play that "game". I do not hide the fact I am a Sox fan, but I don't yank the chains of cub fans when the cubs are down. I don't discuss (or even insult) the Cubs because I don't want their fans to think they are even worthy of that much of my time and attention. That way, if the Cubs win, their fans have no axe to grind with me.

Such a strategy is the best thing you can do. Don't engage him by saying the Cubs will choke, or lose in the playoffs, etc. The truth is they may, just may, go all the way. Even if they don't, they have one hell of a future ahead of them with that young team and starting pitching (what does the Sox future look like?). Yep, its best to dissassociate yourself from Cub fans, and do it now.