PDA

View Full Version : Greenstein Game Recap

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 02:03 AM
Now that the season is toast I guess it's time for the gloves to come off.

Pretty sacrastic recap by Greenstein in the Tribune. Can't argue with it though:

"Whether it's a lack of hunger or basic incompetence , the Sox appeared to be anything but a playoff-worthy team:

Starter Jon Garland walked five batters. He also gave up three two-out RBI singles.

(At least Garland wasn't pelted with a scrunched up piece of paper as he walked off the field. Reliever Kelly Wunsch was as he made his way to the dugout after issuing a fifth-inning walk.)

Ordonez missed a cutoff man on a fourth-inning throw to third base, allowing A.J. Pierzynski to take second.

Two wild pitches got past Sandy Alomar Jr., who nearly redeemed himself by throwing out Luis Rivas on an attempted steal. Rivas was called safe.

Roberto Alomar and Thomas combined to go 0-for-6 against veteran lefty Kenny Rogers."

I guess Jon didn't have it again tonight with two strikes eh?

Lip

LASOXFAN
09-18-2003, 02:06 AM
Check out Morrisey's column and Rogers' as well. They rip this team and its manager...deservedly.
Morrisey (http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/cs-030917morrissey,1,2737910.column?coll=cs-whitesox-utility)

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 02:22 AM
Can't argue with this part of Morrissey's column:

"When it mattered most, when they had a last-gasp chance to stay alive, the Sox fell apart here in Minnesota. That's an indictment of their hitters and their manager. Inside the Metrodome, Frank Thomas has looked less like the player he has been most of the season and more like the player who struggled in the 2000 playoffs.

And the fact the Sox came into the biggest series of the season and disappeared without a trace is a terrible reflection on Manuel. Or the perfect reflection of Manuel ."

Lip

LASOXFAN
09-18-2003, 02:38 AM
These three articles have done it for me. I'm done for the year. It's one thing to have faith when you believe a team is fighting for something, but clearly they're not. And Manuel is only getting in the way. I won't even celebrate his departure. It's all so draining. I just want the Sox to win a g** d*** world series.

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 02:43 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Starter Jon Garland walked five batters. He also gave up three two-out RBI singles. [/B]

Garland walked way too many guys so in some sense he deserved what he got. That said, two of those 2 out RBI singles were total bloop hits and anyone watching the game knows that. I was pretty angry that Manuel pulled Garland after the infield pop bloop in the fifth. He critisized Big Jon for not bearing down enough with two outs when he gave up a similarly weak hit earlier in the season. Its not the right message to send a pitcher for something that's more or less out of his control. Outside of getting a K in that situation, you can't control the location of a seeing eye ground ball or a little bloop in the infield. Any other location and he gets out of both of those innings and gives up 1 run instead of 4 through 4.2.

Hangar18
09-18-2003, 08:26 AM
you know, these guys Rip on the Sox and they Deserved it,
but Didnt ANyone take exception to that Home Plate Umpires Strike Zone? It was AWFUL. too many times, Garland was getting ahead of a batter, only to have the pitch called a Ball, and Kenny Rogers had some of the Highest, Tightest Pitches Ive seen in a while, called for Strikes

FJA
09-18-2003, 09:49 AM
As long as we're talking about today's media coverage, I have to mention Mike "Sox Fan" Downey's column, which nearly had me vomiting. Of course, it wasn't about the Sox, but rather of the "Ooooh, I can't wait to go to Wrigley Field for the playoffs. Why do you have to leave on a road trip, Cubs? I just can't get enough of you at Wrigley Field," variety. He seriously sounded like an overprotective mother depressed about the kids going off to camp. I couldn't continue past what was written on page one.

Normally I stay away from the pro-Cubs media coverage, because there's not much to add to the argument, and obviously Mike Downey has the right to write whatever he wants, but remember all of the talk that he was a Sox fan before he got here and started drinking the Cubbie Kool-Aid? What a dolt. And to boot, he's a terrible, unfunny writer. Bring back the homesick Michael Holley!

Phil Rogers, if you're reading this, great column today.

ma-gaga
09-18-2003, 10:15 AM
I think JM really lost control of the season when he 'shuffled' the rotation to get his best starters against the Twins last week. It looked brilliant the first two games, but it's backfired completely since.

And it sends the wrong message. It puts a lot more pressure on the pitchers for these series's. That being said, it certainly hasn't been the pitchers 'fault' for these last two games. If you don't score runs, you don't win.

In my mind, it's a roster construction issue. The W.Sox have plenty of mashers, but not enough fundamentally sound hitters to surround these guys. That's the difference right now, the Twins lineup has noone on the caliber of F.Thomas/Magglio or even possibly C.Lee, but they work together as a team, and you have guys like Mientkiewicz and Koskie getting on base in front of free swingers Hunter and Jones.

Truthfully, players like Mientkiewicz and Koskie instead of Konerko and Crede would be PERFECT for the Sox. Guys that get on base and don't kill rallies. They don't "mash" the ball like corner infielders are supposed to, but with a good supporting cast, these guys would be a perfect compliment.

mmm, Frankenstein Twins/Sox team:

1 - LF - S.Stewart/C.Lee*
2 - 1B - D.Mientkiewicz
3 - DH - F.Thomas
4 - RF - M.Ordonez
5 - 3B - C.Koskie
6 - CF - C.Everett/T.Hunter**
7 - SS - J.Valentine
8 - C - AJ Pierzynski
9 - 2B - R.Alomar/L.Rivas***

* This is tough. Carlos is a better hitter, but Stewart is a better 'fit' for this team. He fills the need of a true leadoff type of hitter. Maybe Carlos can play first base...
**I don't know which would be better, Everett is a hell of a lot better offensively than I ever imagined he'd be, but Torii has fantastic defensive value, and isn't TERRIBLE offensively. He's actually taking walks!
*** I'm not sold on either of these two. Can we trade for Berroa?