PDA

View Full Version : E-mail To Ken Williams

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 01:39 AM
Folks:

For what it's worth I just sent an e-mail to Ken Williams and thought you might be interested in reading it.

Dear Mr. Williams:

I wanted to take a moment since it looks fairly obvious the Sox will not be going to the post season this year, to thank you for your efforts this season.

Frankly I have been one of your biggest critics but credit has to be given where it is due.

Youíre trying to change the mentality of an organization, a fan base and the media in a city that has seen this franchise too often take the easy way out...going the cheap route and blaming others for problems that they themselves created.

By the creative approaches you took this year the White Sox for a good deal of time, created a real sense of excitement, something that has been missing since the early part of the 90's.

I laude your efforts and hope you realize that this is only the beginning. The only thing that will without question, change the way everyone in Chicago looks at the Sox is to get to a World Series (and for the sake of the franchise it must happen before the Cubs)!

I donít honestly think that is possible with the unrealistic financial restraints placed upon you by ownership, but miracles do happen I guess, so I hope you will keep after it.

If I may make one suggestion for this off season itís that a change must be made at the field manager level.

Too much talent was acquired this season for far too little results. Too little results have happened over the past three years if you get right down to it.

When a manager publicly states (July 2003) that his belief in the first half of the season is to play everyone and then get to a more consistent lineup when you start winning in the second half (seemingly to infer that April - May - June games arenít important), and when this same manager is quoted in the Chicago Sun Times on June 4, 2002 as stating "I love tinkering and messing around with things even though a lot of times that doesnít work," then you have no choice but to relieve him of his duties.

Again thank you for helping to instill some good memories from this season. I hope the Sox show enough pride to win enough remaining games to finish at least with a winning record and maybe in second place.

Sincerely,

Mark Liptak

mliptak@ida.net

ihatethecubs
09-18-2003, 05:52 AM
well said. i think we should all send KW a thank you card.

Dan H
09-18-2003, 06:49 AM
I agree with Lip as well. The guy tried to give us a shot. It sure beats white flagging it.

Hangar18
09-18-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I agree with Lip as well. The guy tried to give us a shot. It sure beats white flagging it.

I second that notion. KW gave us one of the best shots in a long time, and KW did something that hadnt been done, in earnest, since.......the 1993 season.....went out and got a Player
WE NEEDED.

toledosoxfan
09-18-2003, 08:22 AM
well said Lip

34 Inch Stick
09-18-2003, 08:47 AM
My opinion of KW has definitely changed in the last calendar year. He is not there yet, but I see progress and a real indication of learning his job.

I still don't agree that Chicago should be a place for a GM to learn on the job but that is in the past.

duke of dorwood
09-18-2003, 09:08 AM
I agree too, the approach KW took this year was a breath of fresh air to a career Sox fan.

dougs78
09-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Absolutely. This is right on about KW. He has done a fantastic job this season and deserves praise. I feel bad for him that it appears all his hard work will go for naught. Thats truly disappointing.

I think you can be sure that, barring a miracle, Manuel will not be in the dugout next season. I've withheld judgement on him through this entire season but I'm at the point now where I think there are better managers out there. Whether it be his use of the bullpen or the inconsistency of our hitters, at somepoint it comes down to results and he has not achieved satisfactory ones. I think we have only a few games left of the Jerry Manuel era.

Sadly, I pity whoever the new manager may be, because I can't imagine him having half the talent that we have here this year.

Procol Harum
09-18-2003, 09:58 AM
Nicely done, Lip. I was really on KW's case last season but he really proved himself with some very astute moves this year. And given all the flak he has had to put up with, it's nice to let him know that we're thankful for his efforts, even if the team had too many managerial and psychological demons to overcome in the end.

Jerko
09-18-2003, 10:04 AM
Lip, good letter, but I think KW may look through your compliments of him (which are deserved in my opinion) as your way of just buttering him up before you got to what your letter was really about: getting rid of the worst, yes worst, manager that has come down the pike in decades, Bevington be damned. I expect KW to be in a bad mood right about now, (duh) and I am afraid that as he reads your e-mail, he will take your comments of him only as a segue to get rid of Moronuel. I just hope he is level headed enough as he reads through your letter to NOT get defensive about it, even though you rightfully complimented him on his moves and actions this season. I am just so anti-Manuel right now that I fear if KW does go on the defense in reaction to everyone calling for Manuel's head, he will KEEP HIM for another year just to give us all an "I told you so", even though we all know that with JM in charge, "I told you so" is something KW will probably never have to say. It WAS a good letter though.

Hullett_Fan
09-18-2003, 10:05 AM
Right on Lip.

If we'd had a half-way decent manager we'd have 5 more wins now. If we had a great manager we'd probably have 10 more W's. Many of you may hate him, but I think Dusty Baker would have won us 10 more games this year and we could be talking about the playoffs.

Konerko also probably cost us 5-10 games by playing like #$@&. Hitting 30-40 points below his career average. that probably translates to 20-30 RBIs that this team desparately needed.

Those two guys alone cost us the division this year and both should be sent packing.

FJA
09-18-2003, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by dougs78
Absolutely. This is right on about KW. He has done a fantastic job this season and deserves praise. I feel bad for him that it appears all his hard work will go for naught. Thats truly disappointing.

I think you can be sure that, barring a miracle, Manuel will not be in the dugout next season. I've withheld judgement on him through this entire season but I'm at the point now where I think there are better managers out there. Whether it be his use of the bullpen or the inconsistency of our hitters, at somepoint it comes down to results and he has not achieved satisfactory ones. I think we have only a few games left of the Jerry Manuel era.

Sadly, I pity whoever the new manager may be, because I can't imagine him having half the talent that we have here this year.

Using "miracle" to describe the case of Manuel being in the dugout next year is a bad word choice. :smile:

Of course, I assume you're referring to a miracle of us getting to the playoffs. If that miracle happens, unless we win the World Series, I still say Manuel goes because the miracle will be a result of the Twins losing, not the Sox winning. We had the chance to create our own "miracle" rather than hoping the Tigers create one for us, and for whatever reason, our guys weren't ready. Is that all Manuel's fault? No ... guys at this level shouldn't need to be told what they need to do. The fact is, though, most of them do need to be told, especially in regard to what their role might be in winning (i.e., "Jose, we need you to just get on base rather than hacking at pitches out of the strike zone trying to hit home runs. Hell, run into a pitch if one is close. Some might even come extremely close. You don't score without men on base first.).

Manuel either doesn't do this, choosing to let the Major Leaguers alone, or he does it and it isn't the least bit effective. My guess is the latter. Either way, it's a sure sign he needs to go. I've met Jerry Manuel. I like Jerry Manuel ... he's an extremely nice guy (and a fellow Orland Parker), and I wish him the best in whatever he decides to do after he is relieved of his duties here. Nice guy or not, though, I do not want to see him in the dugout last year unless he's wearing a 2003 World Champions ring. The chances of that happening are extremely slim, but if Jerry somehow guides this team to that, he deserves another year. That's the only excuse this organization can use for keeping him, IMO.

And good letter, Lip. I hope KW stays on ... after a few rocky seasons, he really seems to be hitting his stride now. We all talk about the Alomar/Everett deals, but I like the Sullivan deal too (and Schoeneweis is starting to come around as well) ... it didn't have any hype; KW quietly went in and vastly improved the bullpen. Great job, Kenny, since we know you read this.

Randar68
09-18-2003, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Folks:

For what it's worth I just sent an e-mail to Ken Williams and thought you might be interested in reading it.

Dear Mr. Williams:
mliptak@ida.net

This is your best post ever, and might be one of the only ones I've agreed with.

I might have also added that at minimum, they needed to resign Colon, but hey, baby steps for this organ-I-zation

harwar
09-18-2003, 11:40 AM
I hated this guy(Ken Williams) so much that it hurt,because of his foibles during his on the job training.He won me over however because he has shown that he has learned as he went along and because he has guts.I now love the guy but i'm very concerned that the park will be totally empty next year and that spells disaster.

Medford Bobby
09-18-2003, 02:45 PM
IF we had just 5 more wins from Colon and Burhle combined and maybe at least 3 to 5 more games with crappy manager moves, we might be up alot more games than now...this team would have done well even with Paulie starting slow, but as much as we would like to blame Manuel, the players needed to step it up one more notch and we would have been done counting magic numbers already! :D:

:wanne :jerry What will these two guys have in common early in :smile: October?????

gosox41
09-18-2003, 04:01 PM
Folks:

Dear Mr. Williams:

I wanted to take a moment since it looks fairly obvious the Sox will not be going to the post season this year, to thank you for your efforts this season.

Frankly I have been one of your biggest critics but credit has to be given where it is due.

Youíre trying to change the mentality of an organization, a fan base and the media in a city that has seen this franchise too often take the easy way out...going the cheap route and blaming others for problems that they themselves created.

By the creative approaches you took this year the White Sox for a good deal of time, created a real sense of excitement, something that has been missing since the early part of the 90's.

I laude your efforts and hope you realize that this is only the beginning. The only thing that will without question, change the way everyone in Chicago looks at the Sox is to get to a World Series (and for the sake of the franchise it must happen before the Cubs)!

I donít honestly think that is possible with the unrealistic financial restraints placed upon you by ownership, but miracles do happen I guess, so I hope you will keep after it.

If I may make one suggestion for this off season itís that a change must be made at the field manager level.

Too much talent was acquired this season for far too little results. Too little results have happened over the past three years if you get right down to it.

When a manager publicly states (July 2003) that his belief in the first half of the season is to play everyone and then get to a more consistent lineup when you start winning in the second half (seemingly to infer that April - May - June games arenít important), and when this same manager is quoted in the Chicago Sun Times on June 4, 2002 as stating "I love tinkering and messing around with things even though a lot of times that doesnít work," then you have no choice but to relieve him of his duties.

Again thank you for helping to instill some good memories from this season. I hope the Sox show enough pride to win enough remaining games to finish at least with a winning record and maybe in second place.

Sincerely,

Mark Liptak

mliptak@ida.net

What's Kenny's e-mail address???

Bob

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 05:36 PM
kwilliams@chisox.com

gosox41
09-18-2003, 05:59 PM
kwilliams@chisox.com