PDA

View Full Version : Follow up to managerial choices: Has to be a minority?


Medford Bobby
09-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Saw previous threads today about future managerial choices. Now not to be so PC here, but will Uncle Jerry keep Uncle Bud happy with a minority hiring?? Or will the Sox go for the best available candidate regardless of creed or colour?? Though last time I checked Milwaukee's Ned Yost was not a minority guy... It just seems like a trend here in Chicago with Baylor and Baker for the Cups..........I'd still like to see Ozzie :smile: since he's been coaching and Mark Grace cause he's a :angry: gamer.........You know as soon as the last out is cast the Sox will let Jerry go......... :D:

:gulp: :JB " Hey I'll manage and bring back the spirit of 2000!!"

ode to veeck
09-17-2003, 11:51 PM
" Hey I'll manage and bring back the spirit of 2000!!"

"Yeah and I still pitch a pretty good batting practice!"

duke of dorwood
09-18-2003, 12:02 AM
The best candidate-no one should be bullied into hiring black just because of his race if there is a better candidate for this team as it is constructed now

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 12:16 AM
I have absolutely no problem with a minority hire...Dusty Baker, Bob Watson, Lou Piniella, Felipe Alou.

All minorities...all guys the Sox would never hire because they would want real authority, would not be willing to manage a "small market" payroll in the nation's 3rd biggest market and would want a bundle to do what they do.

The White Sox will hire still another inexperienced field manager because they work cheap and would be totally indebted to the organization for their livelihood.

As far as a minority hire take this for what you will. Uncle Jerry is the chairman of the committee to advance minorities in major league baseball.

Lip

Jerry Manuel FAN
09-18-2003, 04:00 AM
JERRY MANUEL SHOULD REMAIN THE MANAGER FOR THE 2004 SEASON!!!! YOU CRYBABIES HAVE NO LOYALTY. WHO CARES WHAT THE MANAGER OF THE TWINS SAYS.....P!SS ON HIM!!!

34 Inch Stick
09-18-2003, 08:39 AM
Welcome to the board Mrs. Manuel. It's good that you back your son in these trying times. However, for your own sanity, I would stay off the boards for a couple of weeks.

thepaulbowski
09-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I have absolutely no problem with a minority hire...Dusty Baker, Bob Watson, Lou Piniella, Felipe Alou.

All minorities...all guys the Sox would never hire because they would want real authority, would not be willing to manage a "small market" payroll in the nation's 3rd biggest market and would want a bundle to do what they do.

The White Sox will hire still another inexperienced field manager because they work cheap and would be totally indebted to the organization for their livelihood.

As far as a minority hire take this for what you will. Uncle Jerry is the chairman of the committee to advance minorities in major league baseball.

Lip

Inexperienced doesn't mean bad...look at what Tony Pena has done in Kansas City. You just have to find the right guy, with the right attitude. Do we need a Joe Torre in here? My answer is not, we already have his type in JM. I think we need a sparkplug type manager, one that isn't too far removed from the game and can relate to today's players.

I think if Manuel is replaced, which I hope he is, JR will hire who he feels is the best candidate and inexpensive. He hired Paxon over BJ for the Bulls, I don't think it has to be a minority in his mind. For some reason I believe JR is going to KW to spend a little money this off-season and try to keep things moving in right direction. I may be off base here, but JR isn't that dumb. He knows that Sox fans are/were excited and if he builds on that it will equal more $$$.

thepaulbowski
09-18-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
The best candidate-no one should be bullied into hiring black just because of his race if there is a better candidate for this team as it is constructed now

Nobody can question JR and his hiring practice. Look throughout the Bulls & Sox organizations, there have been many positions held by minorities.

Jerko
09-18-2003, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
Welcome to the board Mrs. Manuel. It's good that you back your son in these trying times. However, for your own sanity, I would stay off the boards for a couple of weeks.

Is that really Mrs. Manuel, or Jessie Jackson?

Dick Allen
09-18-2003, 12:38 PM
We need to hire the best candidate available, whether white, black, blue, green, purple. There is no time now to be PC, this has gone long enough, 44 years since a World Series appearance. Let somebody else be PC, or I'll be PO'd!!! :angry:

Medford Bobby
09-18-2003, 01:20 PM
Just my point, I hope if they have to hire a manager on the cheap, he's a Tony Pena type who's always preaching the fundementals from 1st day of spring training to the last out of the world series......... :gulp:

hose
09-18-2003, 06:40 PM
I can see Jerry Manuel as Dusty Baker's 3rd base coach next year.

I think Don Cooper will stay with the organization along with Greg Walker no matter who is the new manager.

Some names that come to mind.

Nick Capra
Wally Backman
Ron Kittle
Ozzie Guillen
Carlton Fisk
Bruce Kimm
Bobby Valentine