PDA

View Full Version : Koch And Tampa

Jurr
09-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Someone, I can't remember who, stated after the game that Koch blew that his screw up may have cost the Sox the season.

We had all the MO in the world, and BAM...it was gone.

Those subsequent wins against the Tribe, Tigers, etc. would be really nice right about now, and they're gone.

You can use that Neal Cotts BS all you want, but the Sox rebounded right back and won after that.

The KC series at the beginning of the year was indicative of the start the Sox had. But, after that Cubs and Twins set, we were riding high, and that momentum could've stretched a LOOOOOONNNNGGGG way.
But, Koch pissed it away, and we're sitting here ready for Sunday to roll around.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2003, 11:49 PM
Sorry blaming Koch is way too easy. It was a team effort folks...

The White Sox have lost 8 games to Detroit (after starting the season 4-0 and then 5-1 against them...)

The White Sox lost 3 games to Tampa Bay

The White Sox lost 4 games to Texas

The White Sox lost a game to San Diego

The White Sox also lost 8 games to Cleveland (after starting the season 4-1 against them...)

The Sox have lost three games by the score of 1-0 (twice to Detroit and once to San Diego)

The Sox have lost six games 2-1 (including one of those to Detroit)

and finally the Sox have blown 10 games this season where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later and LOST.

Just FYI.

Lip

LASOXFAN
09-18-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Sorry blaming Koch is way too easy. It was a team effort folks...

The White Sox have lost 8 games to Detroit (after starting the season 4-0 and then 5-1 against them...)

The White Sox lost 3 games to Tampa Bay

The White Sox lost 4 games to Texas

The White Sox lost a game to San Diego

The White Sox also lost 8 games to Cleveland (after starting the season 4-1 against them...)

The Sox have lost three games by the score of 1-0 (twice to Detroit and once to San Diego)

The Sox have lost six games 2-1 (including one of those to Detroit)

and finally the Sox have blown 10 games this season where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later and LOST.

Just FYI.

Lip

It's easy to get lost in retrospect, but keep in mind that if you followed many of the other top teams you would also find any number of games that they should've won. You know this Lip, it's the beauty of baseball. A 162 game season does not lie. Teams that play in October deserve to play in October.

This season will show that the Sox had their fate in their own hands as they entered the last two weeks of the season. So far that record is 1-2. How would 11-2 grab you? I know, it ain't gonna happen. I guess my point is that there are plenty of teams and men who played this game over the years who would love to have the opportunity the Sox have RIGHT NOW. The Twins are going to lose 3 more times this year. Book it.

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 12:46 AM
I'm simply stating that pinning this all on one guy, Koch is totally wrong.

Koch blew that Tampa game for example but did he screw up all the other games that I mentioned?

No he had help both on the field and in the dugout.

Lip

jabrch
09-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
I'm simply stating that pinning this all on one guy, Koch is totally wrong.

Koch blew that Tampa game for example but did he screw up all the other games that I mentioned?

No he had help both on the field and in the dugout.

Lip

As a team, this was the most talented group in the AL Central on paper. Unfortunately, we played many games as if we were playing them on paper. That is not championship calibre baseball. Whatever second half hotstreaks we got onto were not sufficient to make up for the sloppy, lazy, uninspired baseball played by many of our players, our coaches and our manager during the early portion of the season. There are lots of people we can blame... I'll list a few...

Jerry R - For not getting us enough cash to have an Alomar and an Everett early in the year

Kenny W - For waiting to pull a deal or for not doing more (although I think he did a great job given his constraints)
Manuel - nuff said

Koch - Nuff said

Konerko - nuff said

Our 5th starters - they stunk all season

Paniagua - a very short stay - but a very stinky one

Crede - Does he realize that he needs to start playing in April and not waiting until July/August to hit?

Olivo - I like his future as a C, but if I were him, I'd go to winter ball this year, spend time in the cage, and face 5,000 low breaking balls two times a day until his hands are raw.

Cotts - really not his fault...but a critical observation point.

The Fans - Probably not this group of fans, but the fairweather fans that did not come to the park at all until after we got on a roll. I don't like agreeing with JR, but we need to have more than 12,000 - 15,000 people in the spring at Comiskey.

Frank - .190 in september boys...that aint gonna cut it. He had a great season, but I refuse to give him a free pass for his september slump.

Mags - love him, but lots of DPs with men in scoring position (hardly deserves to be on this list, but I put him on the bottom for that reason)

Hopefully next year a new manager and a slightly different cast of players will help the core nucleus of this team perform more consistently than this group did. It starts with the owner expanding payroll a bit so that we can keep Bartolo, Frank and Alomar along with all the guys under contract and the GM doing his best to move some of the bad contracts we are stuck with, but it follows to the new manager and whatever players come back and everyone must be responsible for their actions.