PDA

View Full Version : Jerry, Jerry, Jerry...

MarkEdward
09-17-2003, 10:16 PM
... you're killin' me here, buddy.

I'll usually defend Manuel, but not tonight. Starting Valentin and Alomar was not very smart. Valentin can't hit lefties at all. There was no point in having him in the line-up, except as a pinch-hitter. Graffanino would've been an excellent choice for SS tonight. Case in point:
Valentin vs. lefties, 2003: .144/.208/.216
Graffanino vs. lefties, 2003: .310/.365/.566

Miguel Olivo hasn't hit much this year, but at least he's hit lefties. Of course, he also wasn't in the starting line-up. It would've been nice to see him start. Case in point number two:
Sandy Alomar vs. lefties, 2003: .255/.263/.327
Olivo vs. lefties, 2003: .293/.312/.560

Here's to a manager who understands platoons in 2004.

Jjav829
09-17-2003, 10:17 PM
You must not have heard, Graffanino is attending a funeral. He wasn't available for tonights game and won't be there for tomorrows game either.

JRIG
09-17-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by MarkEdward

I'll usually defend Manuel, but not tonight. Starting Valentin and Alomar was not very smart. Valentin can't hit lefties at all. There was no point in having him in the line-up, except as a pinch-hitter. Graffanino would've been an excellent choice for SS tonight. Case in point:

Miguel Olivo hasn't hit much this year, but at least he's hit lefties. Of course, he also wasn't in the starting line-up. It would've been nice to see him start. Case in point number two:

Graff almost certainly would have started if he were actually in Minnesota. But he was at home because of a death in the family. Point taken on Olivo.

FJA
09-17-2003, 10:19 PM

Graffanino was at a funeral. Olivo ... your stats make me look twice, but Sandy is Garland's catcher. If a pitcher is comfortable with a catcher, it's not a really good idea to screw with that. I don't think Miguel Olivo was going to make much of a difference in this game offensively because of pitches that weren't fastballs down the middle of the plate.

MarkEdward
09-17-2003, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by Jjav829
You must not have heard, Graffanino is attending a funeral. He wasn't available for tonights game and won't be there for tomorrows game either.

Ah. My fault.

Jimenez would've filled in very nicely tonight...

:)

JRIG
09-17-2003, 10:22 PM
Ah. My fault.

Jimenez would've filled in very nicely tonight...

:)

Yeah, but Willie Harris looked really sharp sitting on the bench.

kittle42
09-17-2003, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by FJA
your stats make me look twice, but Sandy is Garland's catcher.

Actually, Olivo is Garland's catcher. Farmer even made a point of saying something about the veteran (Alomar) being out there for the first time tonight to set the youngster (Garland) on the right path.

So much for that.

FJA
09-17-2003, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by kittle42
Actually, Olivo is Garland's catcher. Farmer even made a point of saying something about the veteran (Alomar) being out there for the first time tonight to set the youngster (Garland) on the right path.

So much for that.

My bad on that. Sandy's with Buehrle and Wright ... for some reason, I was thinking it was Buehrle and Garland. My guess is that this might be an indication JM's going to a four-man rotation, since he's said he wants to get Sandy more ABs in the thick of a playoff race. If Sandy only catches Buehrle, that's not going to happen.

Either way, I doubt Olivo was going to make a difference with all the breaking stuff Rogers throws.

jeremyb1
09-17-2003, 11:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear Tony G had to go to a funeral but relieved that's the reason he wasn't playing. I thought Manuel had lost it. I still dislike the decision to play Sandy since Olivo hits better and has a lot more experience catching Big Jon but I can handle that part.