PDA

View Full Version : This is the most painful baseball season in my life

Viva Magglio
09-17-2003, 10:55 PM
We're going down in flames, and the Cubs are winning lights out. With apologies to our friends who happen to be fans of the North Siders, this is nothing short of a complete victory by baseball's Axis of Evil. I do not know how to handle this mentally.

SouthBendSox
09-17-2003, 10:56 PM
I would reccomend imaging that its 1996 or something. I dunno.

It sucks, but what if you were a Tigers fan.

Go Astros!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Viva Magglio
09-17-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox
I would reccomend imaging that its 1996 or something. I dunno.

It sucks, but what if you were a Tigers fan.

Go Astros!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It would be BETTER if I were a Tigers fan because:
1) There isn't an evil crosstown rival whose winning is salt on the open wound of your losing.
2) Suckdom all the way around meaning there would be no anguish over making a bid for the playoffs then crashing and burning out of the race.

But I am not a Tigers fan.

BTW, the Astros are losing...and our long national nightmare continues!

mike squires
09-17-2003, 11:07 PM
It's been a strange one that is for sure. I think I know what they were feeling in (what was it 78?) 90, although very entertaining was also very frustrating.

LuvSox
09-17-2003, 11:08 PM
**** the Cubs, forget about them. They aren't worth it. As far as the Sox go, 2001 was plenty painful.

Dick Allen
09-17-2003, 11:12 PM
I think 1994 was the most painful. This year is bad, though, especially because of the crosstown punks.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-17-2003, 11:16 PM
pretty much. not as disapointing as the 2000 ALDS vs the mariners. in 2001 the start was really depressing and then big hurt got hurt and it went downhill from there, but we finished strong. i'd imagine 1994 and 1996 were both disapointing but I was young back then and didn't really care as much as I do now. if this was 6 years from now, i'd probably be :gulp:

edit: not to mention, most of the kids at my high school are cubs fans. I see the ocassional cork shirts, winning ugly jerseys, and magglio ordonez jerseys and tshirts. You usually see shirts with that damn logo with the bear taking a crap on the C

mike squires
09-17-2003, 11:19 PM
Go ahead and sneak one, it will help ease the pain.

greenpeach
09-17-2003, 11:37 PM
This season proves the old adage that the best team doesn't always win. There's no way that the Twins roster can rival the Sox's. In talent, this team is closer to the Yankees & Red Sox then the Twins & Royals.

It would be a shame if Jerry dismantles the team after the season. Just about any other manager other than Ghandi would've won this thing by at least 5-6 games. He needs to go right after the season to show the fans that mediocrity will not be tolerated & the Sox management is indeed committed to winning. On the other hand, I commend KW for making the deals necessary to put this team in a position to win the division. What a waste. :angry:

voodoochile
09-17-2003, 11:59 PM
WAAAAAAHHHHH! I'm in pain... woe is me.... WAAAAAAHHHHH!

duke of dorwood
09-18-2003, 12:06 AM
Its a tough one-several years of underachieving has me resigned to this.
Maybe if the Cubs win, it will put a lot of pressure on our management to sign Colon and not dismantle the team for $ sake

Lip Man 1
09-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Duke:

I'm sorry no...remember this quote to the Milwaukee Journal just a few weeks ago?

"Chicago has always been a Cubs town."--Jerry Reinsdorf.

Lip

Huisj
09-18-2003, 12:20 AM
i agree that this has really become the toughest season to watch that I've ever been through. '94 pissed me off as much as anything, but it was such a different and sudden ending that it still doesn't rank up with this. For a team to battle back so far and then have as much talent go to waste day in and day out at the end of the year just like the beginning of the year makes me cringe. Everytime I sit down to do homework here at school, I inevitably will start thinking about how badly they've suddenly blown things in the past week, and I'm constantly pissed that this team isn't going to make the playoffs because they are so stupid. And then on top of that, this whole crap with the cubs playing stronger and winning big clutch games is really making it all that much worse. I think ahead to the offseason and that just scares me, because somehow my gut tells me that this team isn't going to be back the same as this year, and it's going to be so disappointing to see a team get so close to reaching a big goal after an amazing comback and then choke and get broken up. I swear, give this team a manager that uses a brain instead of dice to fill out the lineup card, and they win 93 games, maybe more.

It's not so much not winning the division that's got me here, they seldom do that, and I make it through other years. but the way they've gone about not winning it by constantly playing at a level so mindbogglingly below their talent level against terrible teams! it's just going to eat away at me all winter. i might flunk out of college this year i think.

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 02:49 AM
Its certainly been a tough season especially since you can't look to next year so much since you know we're going to have major losses. That said, '01 was much more painful in my opinion. The fact that we were out of it early didn't do much to cushion the blow for me. Its tough being so close and falling short but I'll take it any day over coming into a season with huge expecations and never really having a legitimate chance after the first couple weeks of the season.

Dan H
09-18-2003, 06:46 AM
Originally posted by ˇViva Mágglio!
We're going down in flames, and the Cubs are winning lights out. With apologies to our friends who happen to be fans of the North Siders, this is nothing short of a complete victory by baseball's Axis of Evil. I do not know how to handle this mentally.

I wanted to start this thread, but you beat me to it, Magglio. As a longtime Sox fan, I remember the folding act during the last week of the 1967 season, the 1977 Hitmen dropping out of sight during the last month of that year, and the big egg laying in the 1983 playoffs. But by far this is worst. To begin turning your season around by beating the Cubs, acquiring veteran players for the division run, to be in first place in September, and then completely blow it in a four game stretch against the Twins is too much.

There is one question left. Does this team have any pride left? It would be nice to see them win tonight, and have finish strong to make the Twins earn this division. Or are the Sox going to another el foldo act for the remaining 11 games under the great leadership of Jerry Manuel? From some of their comments in the media, it looks like they have already given up. With the Cubs winning every game they play, this is non-ending nightmare.

duke of dorwood
09-18-2003, 09:05 AM
After thinking about this I think it is the most disappointing season.

We had Bartolo Colon
We had Carlos Lee, maybe most improved AL player
We had a big comeback year from Frank Thomas
We had major acquisitions for the "stretch run"
We had a major career year from a starting pitcher, Loaiza
We had improved pitching by Jon Garland
We had over 200 home runs
We had big crowd support the last half of the season.

How in the world didn't this translate into a division title in a not so strong division?

mrwag
09-18-2003, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
After thinking about this I think it is the most disappointing season.

We had Bartolo Colon
We had Carlos Lee, maybe most improved AL player
We had a big comeback year from Frank Thomas
We had major acquisitions for the "stretch run"
We had a major career year from a starting pitcher, Loaiza
We had improved pitching by Jon Garland
We had over 200 home runs
We had big crowd support the last half of the season.

How in the world didn't this translate into a division title in a not so strong division?

Two words -- "JERRY MANUEL"

soxtalker
09-18-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Dan H
I wanted to start this thread, but you beat me to it, Magglio. As a longtime Sox fan, I remember the folding act during the last week of the 1967 season, the 1977 Hitmen dropping out of sight during the last month of that year, and the big egg laying in the 1983 playoffs. But by far this is worst. To begin turning your season around by beating the Cubs, acquiring veteran players for the division run, to be in first place in September, and then completely blow it in a four game stretch against the Twins is too much.

I also am a long-time fan. For me, '67 was probably the most disappointing. It was ours to win in the final few games of the season against weak teams. I still remember that doubleheader loss to the KC A's...

I just didn't "feel" like we were going to win it at any time. It wasn't a negative "we never win it" thought. Rather, there were just some things about this team -- even after the acquisitions -- that limited my confidence. Part of it was JM. Again, not the "tinkering" that so many point to. Instead, he just seems to make decisions every so often that fly in the face of any logic. Then there is the team itself. Defense has improved, but we've still seen a number of mental blunders over the past week or two. As many have pointed out, the guys seem to be swinging for the fences way too much. They have a great deal of trouble when facing good pitchers and/or when in a pressure situation. The starting pitching was good, but when that wilted, anything could happen. This just wasn't a team that seemed to come back a lot in the last at-bat. Many of these are problems that can be ignored when we're hitting HR's during the regular season, but they just didn't add up to a likely post-season winner.

So, in the end, while I also am greatly disappointed by the Sox failure, I can't say that it is my most disappointing season.

Procol Harum
09-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by soxtalker
I also am a long-time fan. For me, '67 was probably the most disappointing. It was ours to win in the final few games of the season against weak teams. I still remember that doubleheader loss to the KC A's...

I just didn't "feel" like we were going to win it at any time. It wasn't a negative "we never win it" thought. Rather, there were just some things about this team -- even after the acquisitions -- that limited my confidence. Part of it was JM. Again, not the "tinkering" that so many point to. Instead, he just seems to make decisions every so often that fly in the face of any logic. Then there is the team itself. Defense has improved, but we've still seen a number of mental blunders over the past week or two. As many have pointed out, the guys seem to be swinging for the fences way too much. They have a great deal of trouble when facing good pitchers and/or when in a pressure situation. The starting pitching was good, but when that wilted, anything could happen. This just wasn't a team that seemed to come back a lot in the last at-bat. Many of these are problems that can be ignored when we're hitting HR's during the regular season, but they just didn't add up to a likely post-season winner.

So, in the end, while I also am greatly disappointed by the Sox failure, I can't say that it is my most disappointing season.

Wow, you took the words out of my mouth, Soxtalker. As an old gaffer I also feel the pain of the '67 debacle was a lot worse than this--particularly given that it was back in the day of 10-team leagues and it was all or nothing.

As far as this team goes, I also echo your sentiments. I was just never convinced that this team had what it takes to be a real contender. Perhaps they had enough to win the division (and the additions of R. Alomar, Everett and Sullivan along with the presence of Colon and Loiaza as '03 newcomers had me leaning that way over the last few weeks), but there was no way they were on the level of the Yankees, A's, or Mariners. Heck, I think it's been made pretty clear over the last three seasons that they're not as good as the Twins. Some of you starry-eyed optimists may get all up in arms about this last statement but how do you argue with long-term results? The proof's in the puddin', y'all. Better bullpen, better fielding, better baserunning, better situational play, and better hitting for average (just look at the ba of the two teams' starting lineups and you'll see why they're ahead of us).

The real bummer about this season is that you know the Reinsdorfian purse is about ready to slam shut so the team almost certainly will be worse next year. But, after watching this bunch the last 3 years I'd say it's time to do some housecleaning (starting with Manuel) and rethink the "master strategy."

Jerko
09-18-2003, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Dan H

There is one question left. Does this team have any pride left? It would be nice to see them win tonight, and have finish strong to make the Twins earn this division. Or are the Sox going to another el foldo act for the remaining 11 games under the great leadership of Jerry Manuel? From some of their comments in the media, it looks like they have already given up. With the Cubs winning every game they play, this is non-ending nightmare.

I hate losing more than anything. I am the worst sore loser in the world, and even a sore winner at times. HOWEVER, I for one hope they DO give up. Don't forget, there is NO guarantee JM will be gone, he DOES still have one year on his contract left and we all know how JR likes and doesn't like to spend his money. ALL we need is a nice streak now, only to fall short, and then be stuck with this inept, bumbling idiot for another season. I CAN NOT handle that. Just imagine turning on the local news about mid October, just waiting to see the glorious words "Manuel labors no more" or something like that, only to see KW on the tube saying "well, since we played well the last 10 games of last year and only lost the division by 5 games, we think keeping Jerry will be a good way to keep momentum going on into 2004 and beyond........." I WILL expectorate right now if I don't stop typing just THINKING of that possiblilty.

Procol Harum
09-18-2003, 10:09 AM
I'm real curious to see how this team will handle its last 11 games. First off, it would be real nice to salvage a shred of dignity at the HumpDome by winning today's game. However, from the psychological make-up I've seen from this team over the last few years as well as the ups and downs of this year's rollercoaster ride of a season, it's hard to imagine them NOT going completely down the dumper the rest of the season.

cheeses_h_rice
09-18-2003, 10:20 AM
For some reason, I'm in very little psychic pain today. I think I was actually more disgusted in May of this year, for some reason. The Sox came back, but the Twins were just a little better. It looks like Manuel will be "gawn" before the month is over, too, so we will begin anew.

As for the Flubs, they're not in 1st yet, and I trust their history to guide them to that comfy 2nd-place finish they deserve.

Viva Magglio
09-18-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Don't forget, there is NO guarantee JM will be gone, he DOES still have one year on his contract left and we all know how JR likes and doesn't like to spend his money.

I would think that the front office realizes that the anti-JM sentiment is too strong to keep him next year. Just listen to Friday's sellout crowd when Gene Honda says "...the lineup submitted by manager Jerry Manuel."

Dick Allen
09-18-2003, 12:15 PM
:gulp:

Actually, I think it's been a 44-way tie since 1960.

daveb816
09-18-2003, 12:17 PM
Where were you in 1989? 1984? 1998? IF the Cubs make the playoffs and advance to the NLCS or beyond, then you may have a point.

JJAustin69
09-18-2003, 12:29 PM
This is just miserable. Heres where getting swept by Detriot and the Cotts Yankee start come home to roost. The Twins aren't that good but apparently, we aren't good at all.

pudge
09-18-2003, 12:38 PM
Viva, I feel bad for you more than anyone, because you've been a basket case all season, but don't fret about the Cubs, because I doubt they're going anywhere either.

As for "disappointment", I have to agree with the others in this thread who failed to have faith in this team from day one. After that sweep in KC to start the year, I just never really believed. This team continues to fail at fundamentals, which means we'd get sweept in the play-offs anyway. This team has no solid OBP players besides Frank (and Maggs, but only because he's such a solid hitter). This team is all power and no substance, which is a recipe for a first-round loss.

I just hope we can put a decent team together next year. Is it too early to bring up Jeremy Reed?