PDA

View Full Version : What is the Worst Game of the Season?

SouthBendSox
09-17-2003, 09:54 PM
Koch blowing the game on the 4th of July?

Tonight?

Game three of the infamous sweep in Detroit?

Cotts-gate in NY?

any suggestions

mike squires
09-17-2003, 09:57 PM
All those are good ones (or bad ones) The first three games of the season pretty much set the tone for the first half.

A.T. Money
09-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Who cares anymore.

SouthBendSox
09-17-2003, 09:59 PM
I care. I am drafting my manifesto.

SouthBendSox
09-17-2003, 10:00 PM
if we are elimated by the final weekend, i'd like to see Koch reinstated as the closer.

lets finish what we started

and maybe he gets a cheap save or two and we can trade him to the next Kenny Williams

TornLabrum
09-17-2003, 10:06 PM
My vote goes to the season-opening sweep by the Royals. It set the tone for the whole year.

Jerko
09-17-2003, 10:10 PM
Any Sunday loss with the Charlotte Knights in there.
San Francisco game 2
The three 1-0 shutouts to Detroit, Detroit, and San Diego
Tigers first win of the year
Maroth's first win of the year
Very first game of the year

FJA
09-17-2003, 10:12 PM
Originally posted by SouthBendSox

That's my choice. You don't get swept by Detroit and expect to win your division. You just don't.

bc2k
09-17-2003, 10:13 PM
Wow, we've had a lot of bad games. This team sure sucks.

Dick Allen
09-17-2003, 10:19 PM
Last Thursday afternoon, we have a chance to go up 2 games on Minn with Loaiza pitching, and everything crashes and burns. That alone told you what this team is like with everything on the line, and these last 2 games just finished the job.

kittle42
09-17-2003, 10:21 PM
I really think the worst game of the year was the 2-run shot by Carl Crawford off our "closer" in TB.

ChiWhiteSox1337
09-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I was at the series in TB and Detroit so it was pretty darn disapointing. There were a lot of Sox fans at the TB games but the 5 tampa bay devil ray fans that actually did show up got really into the game when the sox were 0-2 and such

MRKARNO
09-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Tonight and the game where the fan attacked the ump and then Koch gave up 4 in the ninth against the royals

brewcrew/chisox
09-17-2003, 10:37 PM
An embarrassment of riches (or garbage) with this thread.

KC game when the moron tackled the ump...we lost the game and had to hear about the awful sox fans for the next couple of weeks.

There was the first home boston series where Lee had, according to him, "the worst game of [his] life". The sox had bases loaded like three times that game, and didn't score but one bloody run. We lost in extra innings. I left that game sooooooo salty.

But the whole season has been a manic one. I can also point to Valentin's homer against the cubs, Franks homer against the twins....I was in Dodger stadium to see Frank hit one out through the LA smog....so much elation....so much sorrow.

But, the seasons not over yet people. Let's win tomorrow, and sweep KC.

If this is a manic season, let's end this thing on a huge high!!!!

Huisj
09-17-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by brewcrew/chisox

But, the seasons not over yet people. Let's win tomorrow, and sweep KC.

and after sweeping KC, sweeping the yankees, and then sweeping KC again, the sox will be 91-71, and they'll still finish in second place by a game

ihatethecubs
09-17-2003, 11:10 PM
oh those 2 red sox games at home were brutal. especially losing a 2 hitter and leaving tons of runners on base.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2003, 11:47 PM
Sorry blaming Koch is way too easy. It was a team effort folks...

The White Sox have lost 8 games to Detroit (after starting the season 4-0 and then 5-1 against them...)

The White Sox lost 3 games to Tampa Bay

The White Sox lost 4 games to Texas

The White Sox lost a game to San Diego

The White Sox also lost 8 games to Cleveland (after starting the season 4-1 against them...)

The Sox have lost three games by the score of 1-0 (twice to Detroit and once to San Diego)

The Sox have lost six games 2-1 (including one of those to Detroit)

and finally the Sox have blown 10 games this season where they took a lead into the 7th inning or later and LOST.

Just FYI.

Lip

LASOXFAN
09-18-2003, 12:09 AM
I care. I am drafting my manifesto.

:D:

LASOXFAN
09-18-2003, 12:10 AM
I gotta go with the Koch game. A two run lead and with one swing a one run loss. I told my wife that day that this one would come back to haunt us.

jeremyb1
09-18-2003, 01:47 AM
Koch blowing the game on the 4th of July?

Tonight?

Cotts-gate in NY?

any suggestions

I'm biased because it was the first game of the season I attended after I got back from school but I was at the second game of the Tigers season where we came within late inning heroics by Crede of a sweep and it was absolutely brutal. Loaiza pitched brilliantly giving up one run and we were facing Knotts - not a very imposing pitcher - yet you just knew we weren't going to score at all. It was just incredibly painful because it should've been so easy to score just a couple runs against a dreadful club but we couldn't do a thing.

Bobby Thigpen
09-18-2003, 08:38 AM
Any game where Sox hitters were facing the pitcher for the first time.

I think I could go out and throw 5 shutout innings against the Sox just because they've never seen me.

booter14
09-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Minnesota game 9/10 & 9/11. They had a chance to bury the Twins and put themselves in the driver seat for the remainder of the year. If they win one of those games, then all of those previous clunkers against Det, TB, BOS, etc would be righted.

In 1906 they were called the 'Hitless Wonders'. The 2001-2203 version should be called the 'Gutless Wonders', because they could never put anyone away. All three years they have played poorly, but at some point each year they played themselves back into position to contend for a title. Unfortunately, Minnesota is a better team, and they have put the Sox away each year.

shane
09-18-2003, 09:22 AM
Cotts-gate in NY?

That's it for me. All of the losses to the basement dwellers killed us, but this game just seemed to take something out of them. The division should have been won prior to this game, but it wasn't, and I feel this one played a big part in ruining the chances to get it.

Thunderstruck30
09-18-2003, 03:59 PM
The one where Koch gave up the walk off home run in Minnesota was pretty bad.

Hangar18
09-18-2003, 04:54 PM
Yeah, the KOCH walk-off HR against the Twins was heart wrenching. Another one that sent us reeling was the Koch Walk Off HomeRun against Tampa Bay. I remember being at a family cookout, we were excited and happy the sox were winning, then saw KOCH come in, and we started yelling and hissing and booing the guy, almost like we knew he'd blow the game. I was cursing Manuel for bringing him in there in the first place.... then serves up that Home Run ball. crushing.
Losing the last 2 games against the Twins gave them new life....because the Twins admitted, "dont get swept", at least win 2 of them "so we could leave chicago like we came in....tied for 1st place". That was huge, because Mientkewicz KNEW the Sox were Turkeys once they got back to Minny the next week.
I noticed KOCH has had a hand in some of our most Crushing Defeats

Foulke You
09-18-2003, 05:18 PM
All very tough losses were mentioned in the previous threads. I agree with all of them. There are a few that stick out in my mind that haven't been mentioned.

The first one is the second of the two game set against Boston at Comiskey on 9/3 where Manuel left Sully in to face Ortiz and he put Boston ahead. Then Rowand was thrown out at the plate by an inch which would have been the winning run. Ortiz does the deed again in extra frames and jacks a homer to put Boston ahead for good. Crede jacked one in the bottom of the tenth that was inches from being a homer. Baseball truly is a game of inches and this game illustrated that to a tee.

The second one is the first of three at Fenway. I was in Boston for this series and knew immediately when I saw that Dan Wright was the scheduled starter that he would get smoked. He walked what seemed like a hundred batters in 2 innings before Manuel gave him the hook. Had our glorious manager realized that a four man rotation was necessary down the stretch, we could have had Colon in game 1, Buehrle in game 2, and a pre flu Loaiza going in game 3. That decision cost us a sweep of the Red Sox, not to mention a sweep of NY in late August.

Honorable mention goes to not sticking the sword through the heart of Cub nation by narrowly missing out on a double sweep of the hated Cubs. 2-1 late loss at Wrigley in Game 3 and the Cubs escaped sweep because Manuel yanked Bartolo. 5-2 loss at Comiskey in game 3 because the bats went quiet.

Steve Bartman
09-18-2003, 06:36 PM
How about the second week of the season when Koch gave up a 2 run home run to Mike Sweeney to blow the game in the 9th?

whitesoxwilkes
09-18-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by Cubsloseagain911
How about the second week of the season when Koch gave up a 2 run home run to Mike Sweeney to blow the game in the 9th?

I think that was the night the ump got attacked...we were there. That and July 4th were easily the worst, and I was present for both of them.