PDA

View Full Version : Do I have the permission of the local optimists...

TornLabrum
09-17-2003, 09:49 PM
...to throw in the towel? Another night of stinking up the joint. 2.5 games down. The best we can do is be 1.5 down when we get home with 7 games against the Royals and 4 against the Yankees while the Twinkies have 2 against the Indians and 7 against the Tigers?

Put a fork in 'em. They're done.

A.T. Money
09-17-2003, 09:50 PM
Yep, that was it.

I can't believe it. I can't believe they just died like that.

Wow. I honestly thought they'd win this division.

TornLabrum
09-17-2003, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Yep, that was it.

I can't believe it. I can't believe they just died like that.

Wow. I honestly thought they'd win this division.

When you've followed this club for 47 years, you kind of get a feel for these things.

MRKARNO
09-17-2003, 09:58 PM
Well I guess it was unfair to get my hopes up for this season, but who knew the white sox were going to break our hearts? I'm only 15, I barely remember '93. In the time I've been a major fan I've only seen one good team and I think this is plenty more upsetting than 2000

Daver
09-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Well,

A.T. Money
09-17-2003, 09:59 PM
Well, look on the bright side.

At least we'll get a new manager now.

TornLabrum
09-17-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Well,

Good one, Daver.

Jurr
09-17-2003, 10:01 PM
I am the arch optimist.
This season is over.
Go watch a good football game on Saturday and on Sunday.

Thank God I went to St.Jude's today and hung out with some of the kids. It's a children's hospital that is the children's cancer center for the US. It puts things in perspective, and boy, I need that right now. This is a game for entertainment, and isn't the end of the world. It was a fun season, but is extremely disappointing.

TornLabrum
09-17-2003, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
I am the arch optimist.
This season is over.
Go watch a good football game on Saturday and on Sunday.

At least the Bears aren't playing on Sunday. I'd probably be suicidal.

LuvSox
09-17-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Daver
Well,

Awesome Daver!

ode to veeck
09-17-2003, 10:08 PM
Do I have the permission of the local optimists...

Give em one more night ... to die a hero's death at the Alamo, er the Twinkie Dome

tonight was pure pathos

duke of dorwood
09-17-2003, 10:09 PM
It is an official game with Daver on board.

Daver
09-17-2003, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by TornLabrum

Good one, Daver.

Originally posted by LuvSox

Awesome Daver!

Thank you,it was the best I could do with a quick five minute photochop.

WU could chop circles around me though.

:bandance:

kittle42
09-17-2003, 10:28 PM
Um.....go Astros? Is that all I have left in the season?

voodoochile
09-17-2003, 10:37 PM
...to throw in the towel? Another night of stinking up the joint. 2.5 games down. The best we can do is be 1.5 down when we get home with 7 games against the Royals and 4 against the Yankees while the Twinkies have 2 against the Indians and 7 against the Tigers?

NO! What does it matter at this point in time. You no longer believe it IS possible, so stop rooting with your head.

At this point in time, it takes a serious case of heart to stay with the team.

If they are done, it doesn't matter, so stop trying to justify, rationalize and figure it out. Just root for the team...

inta
09-17-2003, 10:39 PM
this is the most disappointing season ever. I dont know if I'll follow any sox games next year, i can't watch a kids can play pt.2.

words can't even describe how depressed i am, i really thought we could do it. kenny williams made every right move.

well except for keeping manuel.

2003, the year baseball died on the southside.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2003, 11:31 PM
"We know that you can play well for months and then have one bad week spoil things, especially at this time of year..." --Paul Konerko to The Sporting News (page 12)

Just a week ago the Sox were two games up on the Twins, had beaten them two straight and looked like they might pull it off.

It's a week later after a 2-5 week and Konerko's was right. One week can wipe out everything positive since late June.

The Sox have no one to blame but themselves, not umpiring, not the media, not the Cubs, but themselves

I hope they at least show enough personal pride, and respect for the city that they represent to play hard the rest of the way, finish with a winning season (still need two more wins) and finish in second place.

How disgusting would it be for this "so called" most talented team in the division to finish in third?

Lip

34 Inch Stick
09-18-2003, 07:28 AM
They better play hard for Friday's sellout or that stadium is going to get very ugly.

Kilroy
09-18-2003, 07:47 AM
...to throw in the towel?

Quitting is for *******.

chosk8
09-18-2003, 08:27 AM
My heart is telling me one thing and my head is telling me another. I'll never stop rooting for this team in my heart, but common sense is telling my head it's over. At this point, if we somehow do win it, it's almost bittersweet, because it will feel more like the Twins lost it than we won it. We wouldn't have earned it in the head to head competition and in crunch time. And our own division did us in. We play well within our division and we win this thing in a runaway.

I'll keep rooting with my heart.

Hangar18
09-18-2003, 08:31 AM

Permission Granted. Enjoy the Long ... Cold.... Nuclear Cub Winter :angry:

dougs78
09-18-2003, 09:02 AM

You've never needed my permission to do anything, but at this point I have to agree with you. I think we are officially done. Of course there could be a miracle, like the Tigers sweeping a first place team (oh wait, that already happened to us this year...maybe it is possible...). Clearly we will have to win out for us to have a shot at this thing. We do have the talent for it, but we'll see how well that translates to results.

While I've not thrown in the towel, we still have a chance (albeit a tiny one), i have stopped caring nearly so much. Last night I actually turned the game off to go read. That is probably the first time I've done that all season. I listen to or "watch" nearly every game via the computer so when one comes on TV I'm always glued to it. Last night I just couldn't do it. It was funny how easy it was and really didn't cause me any difficulty.

But either way, this team has remarkably underachieved regardless of the final 10 games and I'm sure next years dugout will reflect that.

Procol Harum
09-18-2003, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by 34 Inch Stick
They better play hard for Friday's sellout or that stadium is going to get very ugly.

What you said, Stick. In fact, if they know what's good for them they better pull at least the last game out in MN so as to give us chumps some modicum of good feeling as we walk into the Cell on Friday evening.

Jerko
09-18-2003, 09:15 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lip Man 1
[B]"We know that you can play well for months and then have one bad week spoil things, especially at this time of year..." --Paul Konerko to The Sporting News (page 12)

KONERKO said that!?!?!?!?!?! :angry: :angry: :angry:

The SAME Konerko who said in like May or June "we're only 6 games back with a lot to go, why is everyone upset?". I think at that time the Twins were 0-7 vs. the Yankees and we were struggling with (surprise) Detroit and Cleveland, the same 2 teams we look upon with such disdain now. I want to know, when have the Sox played well for months? They sucked from April till mid-June (until they played the CUBS), had 2 good weeks, then sucked again from late June until after the All Star break, had a good end of July and August, and now suck again in September. So, after 2 months of the season we hear the "there's a long way to go" BS, and now "the Sox have been playing well for months?". Did they expand the season or something without telling us? Your'e right Paulie, you have played well for months, June of 2001 was a good month when you were 14-29 and out of it, September of 2002 wasn't bad when you struggled to finish 2 game UNDER .500, and August of 2003 was ok. So yeah, I guess you have played 3 good months of ball, TOO BAD IT WAS IN THE SPAN OF 3 DIFFERENT SEASONS!!!!!!!!!!

bobj4400
09-18-2003, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by kittle42
Um.....go Astros? Is that all I have left in the season?

Unfortunately, it is. And the ultimate kick in the stomach is coming. To make this the worst summer of my life, I just know that we will be watching the Scrubs in October while our White Sox sit home.

bobj4400
09-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by inta
2003, the year baseball died on the southside.

Unfortunately this statement is probably true. Especially if the Scrubs win.

alohafri
09-18-2003, 10:17 AM
The ONLY thing that can console me is if the scrubs don't make the post-season....a small consolation. It's sad that the season has come to this. :(:

--Mrs. Aloha

TommyJohn
09-18-2003, 11:53 AM

I'm with you, Hal. They are finished. Done. Kaput. When Jay
Mariotti resumes his abuse of Frank Thomas, you know the
honeymoon is over.

The Twins will win tonight. Not a very daring prediction. But I
am through rooting for the year. If the Cubs make the playoffs
and meet the Red Sox in the World Series, I am seriously con-
sidering not going to church anymore. A loving God wouldn't
do that to us, Dammit!!! :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Anyway, I am on the "It's Over" wagon. I get a feeling about
these things. A feeling on my back. When it is there, it is never
wrong. It was there in 2000. I correctly predicted that Seattle
would sweep to a Seattle fan that actually was nervous about
facing the White Sox!! I, the Sox fan, assured him that Seattle
wouldn't break a sweat and they didn't. Same thing this year.
Minnesota will coast the rest of the way. My "daring" prediction
for the rest of 2003.

Of course, the Sox have no one to blame but themselves. They
barely beat the Tigers, a team that had no business beating
the Toledo Mud Hens, let alone the Sox. So I won't whine about
the Twins' "easy" schedule.

Hangar18
09-18-2003, 11:58 AM
Any more room on the "its over" express, or should I wait for the next one ? :smile:

Iwritecode
09-18-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn
If the Cubs make the playoffs
and meet the Red Sox in the World Series, I am seriously con-
sidering not going to church anymore. A loving God wouldn't
do that to us, Dammit!!! :whiner: :whiner: :whiner: :whiner:

Well, if you've ever seen Bruce Allmighty, you'd know that God is a Mets fan...

Chisox353014
09-18-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by TommyJohn

Anyway, I am on the "It's Over" wagon. I get a feeling about
these things. A feeling on my back. When it is there, it is never
wrong. It was there in 2000. I correctly predicted that Seattle
would sweep to a Seattle fan that actually was nervous about
facing the White Sox!! I, the Sox fan, assured him that Seattle
wouldn't break a sweat and they didn't. Same thing this year.
Minnesota will coast the rest of the way. My "daring" prediction
for the rest of 2003.

Yeah, I've found over the years that my hunches about sports are usually right, to the tune of around 85-90%. I don't always have a feeling beforehand, but when I do it's almost always right. It works both ways (I had a feeling the 2000 Sox would win the division) but it's usually a feeling of impending doom, sometimes for no apparent reason. I had that bad feeling going into this series, and as soon as Thomas hit into that double play in the first inning Tuesday I "knew" this season was over.

Dan H
09-18-2003, 12:46 PM
I think the Sox season is over, but I hope they don't play like it. Most teams wouldn't mind being 2 1/2 back with 11 to play. Many things can happen in that stretch. But most of all, the Sox should make the Twins work for their division title. Don't lay down and play dead just because it looks bad. If the Sox had any pride, they will play like they're 2 1/2 ahead. If they don't want put out an effort, maybe they all should retire now.

That is what I hated about the White Flag Trade. I didn't miss Wilson Alvarez or Danny Darwin. It was the giving up. Let's not have a repeat during the last 11 games.

DrCrawdad
09-18-2003, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Dan H
I think the Sox season is over, but I hope they don't play like it. Most teams wouldn't mind being 2 1/2 back with 11 to play. Many things can happen in that stretch. But most of all, the Sox should make the Twins work for their division title. Don't lay down and play dead just because it looks bad. If the Sox had any pride, they will play like they're 2 1/2 ahead. If they don't want put out an effort, maybe they all should retire now.

That is what I hated about the White Flag Trade. I didn't miss Wilson Alvarez or Danny Darwin. It was the giving up. Let's not have a repeat during the last 11 games.

IMHO the quest for the AL Central Crown disappeared when the Sox lost 2 of 4 to the Twits at the Cell.

If the Sox play as they've looked the last few games then it's over. Stick a fork in their arses.

I hope they adopt this attitude...

The attitude the Sox should have. (http://161.58.5.90/animal/germans.wav)

JC456
09-18-2003, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by DrCrawdad
IMHO the quest for the AL Central Crown disappeared when the Sox lost 2 of 4 to the Twits at the Cell.

If the Sox play as they've looked the last few games then it's over. Stick a fork in their arses.

I hope they adopt this attitude...

The attitude the Sox should have. (http://161.58.5.90/animal/germans.wav)

I like it!!!!

TornLabrum
09-18-2003, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
NO! What does it matter at this point in time. You no longer believe it IS possible, so stop rooting with your head.

At this point in time, it takes a serious case of heart to stay with the team.

If they are done, it doesn't matter, so stop trying to justify, rationalize and figure it out. Just root for the team...

I always do and have for the past 48 years. But they're still not gonna finish first.

TornLabrum
09-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
Quitting is for *******.

I certainly hope you've been a fan as long as I have if you're saying that.

voodoochile
09-18-2003, 11:17 PM
I always do and have for the past 48 years. But they're still not gonna finish first.

Now, I agree. I figured with Bart on the mound tonight, the Sox stood a chance, but it wasn't to be and it will take a major miracle for them to make the playoffs.