PDA

View Full Version : Who would you keep

Bucktown
09-17-2003, 08:27 PM
If you can only keep three players from this team who would you keep? Would you want to keep three? How about two and a manager (that is a rhetorical question)?

chisoxt
09-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Maggs, CLee, Buehrle

Bucktown
09-17-2003, 08:56 PM
I was thinking along the same lines, but Colon instead of Buehrle. Sullivan is a great arm too.

MHOUSE
09-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Maggs, Marte, Olivo

gosox41
09-17-2003, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by Bucktown
If you can only keep three players from this team who would you keep? Would you want to keep three? How about two and a manager (that is a rhetorical question)?

Thomas, Buehrle, and Colon.

Bob

JRIG
09-17-2003, 09:40 PM
Thomas, Mags, and Colon

duke of dorwood
09-17-2003, 10:11 PM
Marte Maggs Crede

Jjav829
09-17-2003, 10:23 PM
Art Kusnyer, Man Soo Lee, Joe Nossek.

bc2k
09-17-2003, 10:24 PM
Everett, R. Alomar, S. Alomar, Marte, Lee, Rowand, Olivo, Graffanino, Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Colon.

Bye Maggs
Bye Thomas
Bye Bye Crede (puss)
Bye Paulie
Bye Koch
Bye Valentin

Tragg
09-17-2003, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Everett, R. Alomar, S. Alomar, Marte, Lee, Rowand, Olivo, Graffanino, Buehrle, Loaiza, Garland, Colon.

Bye Maggs
Bye Thomas
Bye Bye Crede (puss)
Bye Paulie
Bye Koch
Bye Valentin

Get rid of the team's 2 best hitters and keep the alomars and rowand?

One thing we must do in the offseason is rid ourselves of the Alomars

Maggs, Buerhle, Crede

MRKARNO
09-17-2003, 10:37 PM
Maggs Colon Lee

FJA
09-17-2003, 10:48 PM

Bye Maggs
Bye Thomas
Bye Bye Crede (puss)
Bye Paulie
Bye Koch
Bye Valentin

First of all, you were only supposed to pick three. Second of all, getting rid of Maggs would be one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the organization.

That being said, I'd keep Maggs, Lee and Marte. I chose Marte over Buehrle because I don't think money or loyalty to the Sox is an issue to Buehrle, who would be playing in St. Louis now if it were up to him. He's going to leave at some point whether or not we want him to.

THE_HOOTER
09-17-2003, 10:53 PM
Colon, Buehrle, and Marte

bc2k
09-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by Tragg

The Alomar bros are pure winners. They were surrounded by losers which is why the Sox aren't going to the playoffs. Winners don't throw rainbows to third allowing an extra runner in scoring position and taking the ground ball double play out of the hands of a groundball pitcher.

Originally posted by FJA

First of all, you were only supposed to pick three. Second of all, getting rid of Maggs would be one of the biggest mistakes in the history of the organization.

That being said, I'd keep Maggs, Lee and Marte. I chose Marte over Buehrle because I don't think money or loyalty to the Sox is an issue to Buehrle, who would be playing in St. Louis now if it were up to him. He's going to leave at some point whether or not we want him to.

The topic is who do you want to keep. There are more than 3 players I want to keep. Putting a cap on my favorite is a our favorite three and discarding the other 22 is pointless. What a gay thread.

akingamongstmen
09-17-2003, 11:50 PM
Maggs, Colon, and Olivo...I've got a real good feeling about Olivo in the long run.

Tragg
09-18-2003, 12:15 AM
The Alomar bros are pure winners. They were surrounded by losers which is why the Sox aren't going to the playoffs. Winners don't throw rainbows to third allowing an extra runner in scoring position and taking the ground ball double play out of the hands of a groundball pitcher.

The topic is who do you want to keep. There are more than 3 players I want to keep. Putting a cap on my favorite is a our favorite three and discarding the other 22 is pointless. What a gay thread.

We need talent on this team - sandy can't play anymore and roberto's skills are in deep decline. I am sure they and juse and rowand are wonderful clubhouse guys. Terrific. But what we need are some hitters.

34 Inch Stick
09-18-2003, 07:34 AM
Buhrle, Olivo, Crede

Hullett_Fan
09-18-2003, 09:00 AM
Maggs, Colon, Marte

Runners-up: Sullivan, Buerhle, Garland, Lee, Olivo, Wunsch, Shoenweis

Dump: Konerko, Valentin, Koch and of course Manuel

shane
09-18-2003, 09:08 AM
Maggs, Buerhle, Crede

I sure would hate to see CLee and Marte go though.

Procol Harum
09-18-2003, 09:25 AM
Bucktown, your criteria are too restrictive, but the general question is a sound and valid one. For my part (given that Reinsdorf & Friends don't slam the purse too tightly):

Keepers: Graffanino, Crede, Olivo, CLee, Thomas (simply because I don't think the return would be enough to justify moving him--let him play out his career here and hope he can give us close to what he has this year), Marte, Schoenweis, Sullivan, Buehrle, Garland (God help me) and sign Colon if he promises to lose 15 lbs. this winter :smile:

Tweeners: Loaiza, R. Alomar (might be useful to keep him around to show the younger players over a full season about how a winner plays the game), Wunsch.

Possible Dump: Maggs (he's been a very good player, decent defense, good guy and all that, but he doesn't seem to be the type of guy who elevates the play of those around him. He can hit into double plays, though. If a good offer comes along, Kenny, jump on it.

Definite Dumps: Konerko, Valentin, Sandy Alomar, Koch, Wright, Rios, Daubach.

jabrch
09-18-2003, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by Tragg

Maggs, Buerhle, Crede

I agree that we shouldn't unload Mags, but why would you want to get rid of the Alomars? Sandy is a good mentor for the young catchers (and is fairly inexpensive) and Robby is a fairly solid 2B... Would you rather see Willie Harris play there? And on Olivo's off days, would you like to see Sandy or a AA catcher?

jabrch
09-18-2003, 10:01 AM
Magglio for sure...

I am a believer that pitching wins championships, so I would want to keep 2 of the 3 SPs. Definitely I'd want Colon as one. I am not sure if I'd go with Loazia or Buehrle as the other.

That's not to say I wouldn't want to keep more guys. I like Lee, Thomas, Crede, Olvio. I loved the way Gordon and Marte stepped up and threw in late innings. Sullivan has a nasty delivery.

I think a good question is to name the players you'd get rid of, but also how you plan on doing it. You can't just release Konerko's 8MM or Koch's 5MM. You need to A) find someone to take them and B) take on their baggage in return. I heard a rumor that, if we had been out of contention by the trade deadline, there was some talks with the Yanks about sending Lee to NY with Konerko for Nick Johnson and Claussen. I wouldn't want to lose Lee, but if that was what we had to do to get rid of Konerko's deal, I might have considered it. Johnson is cheap and young. Claussen is a decent prospect and that would free up well over 10,000,000 next year to sign a SS replacing Jose and split the rest for some combination of R. Alomar/Frank/Colon...

daveb816
09-18-2003, 10:01 AM
C Lee, Buehrle, Crede. Magglio won't be worth his huge salary on a small-to-mid market team, unfortunately.

jabrch
09-18-2003, 10:04 AM
[i]Definite Dumps: Konerko, Valentin, Sandy Alomar, Koch, Wright, Rios, Daubach. [/B]

Konerko and Koch - How...

Valentin - replaced by who?

Sandy - ok, fine...saves us about 1MM

Wright - we don't gain much by dumping him. He isn't expensive and we don't have many other options for the 5th starter/long reliever

Rios - sure...he never should have been here to begin with.

Duabach - no way...for 500,000 it is nice to have a veteran left handed hitter on the bench who can play 1B/OF/DH when needed. Anyhow, I can't see what that 500,000 gets us if we go to the FA market and try to get a veteran lefthanded PH.

Procol Harum
09-18-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by jabrch
Konerko and Koch - How...

Valentin - replaced by who?

Duabach - no way...for 500,000 it is nice to have a veteran left handed hitter on the bench who can play 1B/OF/DH when needed. Anyhow, I can't see what that 500,000 gets us if we go to the FA market and try to get a veteran lefthanded PH.

Konerko & Koch: anyway you can...

Valentin: it will take some work, but I think we can replace a mediocre defensive shortstop with a .230 average (to say nothing of one who insists on batting rightie against left-handers even though he's hitting under .150 in that particular match-up)

Daubach: He's hitting like .200 as a pinch-hitter and hasn't adjusted well at all to his new status as an off-the-bench and role player. I'd take my $500,000 somewhere else and chance it that I could up with a left-handed benchite who could do at least as well as he has this year.

Bobby Thigpen
09-18-2003, 01:11 PM
I would like to see them all stay, but if I could only choose three it would be Maggs, CLee, and Marte. If you're going into rebuild mode everyone else is expendable.

Mammoo
09-18-2003, 04:52 PM
Maggs, Colon and Crede....

THAT'S IT!!!!