PDA

View Full Version : So this is our season pinnacle?

cheeses_h_rice
08-28-2001, 10:05 PM
Sadly enough, 2 games over .500 is the best this team has done this year.

I hate to be a glass-half-empty sort, but with the Indians winning tonight, we again gain no ground except against the Twins for second (just 2 back, assuming the Twinks lose). We will need to absolutely sweep the remaining games against the Indians or maybe lose just 1 or 2. Otherwise, we're just standing still.

KempersRS
08-28-2001, 10:12 PM
Well, remember where this season was at one point. You know, we could have died a long, long time ago. We could be 20-30 games under if we rolled over after being 15 games under. We have had our struggles, we probably will not win the division, but atleast we didn't embarass ourselves. Here is a snip from the AP "The White Sox (66-64) have won six of seven and are two games over .500 for the first time this season. They are the first team since the 1991 Milwaukee Brewers to have a winning record after being 15 games under .500, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. "

Tragg
08-28-2001, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Well, remember where this season was at one point. You know, we could have died a long, long time ago. "

And remember were we were after 2 tonight - down 6-1. As goofy as jerry and kenny and a lot of the players can be, they don't quit.

cheeses_h_rice
08-28-2001, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS
Well, remember where this season was at one point. You know, we could have died a long, long time ago. We could be 20-30 games under if we rolled over after being 15 games under. We have had our struggles, we probably will not win the division, but atleast we didn't embarass ourselves. Here is a snip from the AP "The White Sox (66-64) have won six of seven and are two games over .500 for the first time this season. They are the first team since the 1991 Milwaukee Brewers to have a winning record after being 15 games under .500, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. "

I realize that they have done a somewhat admirable job, overall, but remember that they came tearing back to .500 in a hurry and have basically been playing even-steven now for, what, 2 months? I think this team is perfectly capable of easily winning this division with the talent they have, but they keep getting weak performances from various cogs in the machine at really inopportune times. Inconsistent hitting, bad defense, and lately, some brutal pitching has really hurt them. The 2000 Sox seemed to have luck/mojo that this team doesn't have (I count the Foulke blown saves against the Twins and Seattle as especially noteworthy), but I keep thinking of the lost opportunities they've had to easily make up ground. They should be 5-8 games above .500 right now. They should have a better record, and they should still be in contention.

KempersRS
08-28-2001, 10:30 PM
The 2000 Sox seemed to have luck/mojo that this team doesn't have (I count the Foulke blown saves against the Twins and Seattle as especially noteworthy), but I keep thinking of the lost opportunities they've had to easily make up ground. They should be 5-8 games above .500 right now. They should have a better record, and they should still be in contention.

All of the above is true. It should be a different season, but its not. 2000 we did get all the breaks, all the luck, and all the clutch hits when we needed them. This year just isn't our year. Just look at the Tribe's last 2-3 weeks. They have won about 3-4 games that should have never been won, but somehow they pulled them out (and yes, I could name them). The Sox have lost some games they never should have, but lets not open up old wounds. The season just wasn't meant to be, but we can't do anything about that now. They aren't going to win this division, all we can ask for them to do is finish with an effort and have some pride.