PDA

View Full Version : A Perverse Encouragement From Sox History

Procol Harum
09-17-2003, 02:58 PM
Obviously, if the Sox don't win at least one of the next two games against the Twinks you can probably put a fork in the Pale Hose for 2003, and winning both games is really what it would take to give us a shot. However, as we face the impending Twins run against the Tigers, there is a slim thread of hope that Detroit might actually show up and win a few of those games--despite how hopeless it looks now. For evidence, I take you back to the last great White Sox pennant race in 1967.

The Sox went into the final 5 games of the season with the door wide open for them to win the pennant. Their opponents for the final games would be the then-KC A's and the Washington Senators, two teams against whom the Sox had racked up a collective record of, I think, 28-3 that year. The Sox, of course, managed to lose all 5 games against this woeful competition and missed yet another opportunity at going to the World Series.

So, there ya have it--it can happen. The only part of this that gives me any pause is the fact that using Sox bad luck to give oneself hope is hardly the ticket to confidence.

hold2dibber
09-17-2003, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
So, there ya have it--it can happen. The only part of this that gives me any pause is the fact that using Sox bad luck to give oneself hope is hardly the ticket to confidence.

You gotta work with what you've got - as Sox fans, we sure don't have a lot of examples of Sox good luck to give us comfort!

Randar68
09-17-2003, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Procol Harum
Obviously, if the Sox don't win at least one of the next two games against the Twinks you can probably put a fork in the Pale Hose for 2003, and winning both games is really what it would take to give us a shot.

If they don't win both of these, they'll just about have to win out to have a chance.