PDA

View Full Version : A note on Detroit

lowesox
09-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Since, I'd say about, game number 10 these guys have had nothing to play for - no game has meant anything. Do you think they haven't been paying attention to what these upcoming games with the twins mean?

Please, this will be their world series. A bunch of young guys trying to prove themselves in the only games that count all year.

Believe me, this won't be a cakewalk.

THE_HOOTER
09-17-2003, 01:01 PM
I agree with you. I think they will win a couple-especially at home.

But they don't have any talent-that will ultimately give MN a bunch of wins.

Kilroy
09-17-2003, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by lowesox
Since, I'd say about, game number 10 these guys have had nothing to play for - no game has meant anything.

The games don't mean anything, but that doesn't mean they have nothing to play for. They have jobs to play for. They still need to perform. Some guys will hope to stay in the bigs. Others will hope to catch the eye of another team. They have plenty to play for.

shane
09-17-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy
The games don't mean anything, but that doesn't mean they have nothing to play for. They have jobs to play for. They still need to perform. Some guys will hope to stay in the bigs. Others will hope to catch the eye of another team. They have plenty to play for.

I agree. If I play for Detroit, my number one focus is putting up some wicked numbers to stay in the bigs, or preferrably, get to another team.

Jerko
09-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Kilroy

The games have not meant anything to Detroit since May. However, the players HAVE had their jobs to play for since then. Why now do we expect an explosion? Plus I see Higginson and Young are still in the lineup, who already know they'll be in the bigs next year no matter what. They also have "shut down" Jeremy Bonderman so he doesn't become their 2nd 20 game loser. So, as optimistic as I would like to be, the Tigers are still using some regulars who do NOT have to bust their ass these last 12 games, and they are using at least one starter who was not good enough to make the team over a guy that would have lost 20 games had his manager not shut him down! I don't see a sudden resurgence from this team. MAYBE to avoid the all time loss mark, but they knew they were on pace for that since July and I didn't see a big spike in their win totals then either. I guess the short version of what I am trying to say is the Sox are toast if we have to start making up reasons why the Tigers should suddenly start winning with 12 games left.

bc2k
09-17-2003, 02:03 PM
Why don't the Sox pay them off? Maybe rent out a cruise ship for the Tigers that sails around Bermuda or some other exotic island. All expenses paid of course. This would be a nice for the players' families and themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read of contending teams in the distant past giving gifts to teams with nothing to play for as thanks for beating a league rival late in the season. A cruise ship is a much more expensive gift, and the Sox would make the deal before Detroit plays Minnesota, but this is likely what decides going to the playoffs and staying home.

If it's not against the rules of MLB, why not send a gift to the Tigers?

shane
09-17-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by bc2k

Great idea!! We'll let Manuel and Koch be the captains of the ship, set to sail the morning of our first playoff game.

Hokiesox
09-17-2003, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Why don't the Sox pay them off? Maybe rent out a cruise ship for the Tigers that sails around Bermuda or some other exotic island. All expenses paid of course. This would be a nice for the players' families and themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I read of contending teams in the distant past giving gifts to teams with nothing to play for as thanks for beating a league rival late in the season. A cruise ship is a much more expensive gift, and the Sox would make the deal before Detroit plays Minnesota, but this is likely what decides going to the playoffs and staying home.

Because, in case you hadn't noticed, there's a hurricane between the east coast an bermuda. We don't want the tigers to drown!

:)

Foulke You
09-17-2003, 05:04 PM
Actually, I'm thinking a good scenario would have several of the Twins/Tigers games rained out so they have to play double headers. Could give the Tigers a better shot at winning and also could tire out the Twins bullpen down the stretch. Here's hoping for rain at Comerica.

SoxxoS
09-17-2003, 05:20 PM
Look at it this way-

They swept us.

We are better than the Twins.

They will sweep the Twins. :D:

soxtalker
09-17-2003, 07:06 PM
The Twins state of mind will make a big difference. If the Twinkies win one or both of the remaining games in this series, they'll be sky high for the remaining games. Not just confident -- on a roll. On the other hand, if the Sox manage to pull out the next two games, the Twins will be confident, but maybe a bit nervous. That will be an opportunity for Detroit.

SouthBendSox
09-17-2003, 09:53 PM
lets send them Paulie and Koch

with those guys on the Tigers, the Twins will definetly lose

ohh wait

no

FIRE THIS CLOWN

akingamongstmen
09-18-2003, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
Look at it this way-

They swept us.

We are better than the Twins.

They will sweep the Twins. :D:

You, my friend, are a genius! :D:

IronFisk
09-18-2003, 01:22 AM
Ugh! I can't believe it has come to this - breaking down the TIGERS?!?!