PDA

View Full Version : Manuel got schooled

mrwag
09-17-2003, 09:51 AM
The Twins executing Tuesday night was winning baseball. Moving the runners over, stealing bases, that's how you win. The Sox sit back and wait for the big 3 run homer. When the bats go cold, the Sox cannot manufacture runs.

JM - Leadoff man gets on, no outs. If it's late innings and the guy doesn't have speed, you pinch run and bunt the guy over, or steal if you can. Don't sit there with your thumb up your arse waiting for a big hit. MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN! I'm so sick of this crap.

This team could do so much more with a different manager.

Dadawg_77
09-17-2003, 09:52 AM
Originally posted by mrwag
The Twins executing Tuesday night was winning baseball. Moving the runners over, stealing bases, that's how you win. The Sox sit back and wait for the big 3 run homer. When the bats go cold, the Sox cannot manufacture runs.

JM - Leadoff man gets on, no outs. If it's late innings and the guy doesn't have speed, you pinch run and bunt the guy over, or steal if you can. Don't sit there with your thumb up your arse waiting for a big hit. MAKE SOMETHING HAPPEN! I'm so sick of this crap.

If the Twins were god like in getting people to score they would have buried us in the first two innings. Base loaded with one out, twice.

Jerko
09-17-2003, 09:56 AM
One thing I know the Twins have been great at executing for the last three years: The White Sox.

mrwag
09-17-2003, 10:06 AM
Good points, but JM's lack of agressiveness and the lack of the teams ability to play little ball is going to cost them. I hope I'm wrong.

If they could have done a better job of manufacturing runs when the bats were cold in the first half of the season, we'd be clinching the division within the next few games. But here we are now with almost the best record in baseball in the second half, but 1-1/2 games out.

BeerHandle
09-17-2003, 10:10 AM
Manuel got schooled because he couldn't manager before the game........don't start an unhealthy pitcher!

JRIG
09-17-2003, 11:17 AM

If the team is down 3 runs late, like last night, it makes no sense to give up an out just to hopefully get one run by bunting a guy to second base. The risk/reward equation just doesn't work out. You've got to pick up three runs in a relatively short amount of time (or short amount of outs, to be more specific), and giving up an out is not the smartest thing to do IMO.

mrwag
09-17-2003, 11:46 AM
What's "late in the game" ? I think 7th inning on. When you are down by 3 runs, one run here and there is huge, even if it means "giving up an out". If you sit back and wait for that big hit, you might wait too long.

voodoochile
09-17-2003, 11:47 AM
What's "late in the game" ? I think 7th inning on. When you are down by 3 runs, one run here and there is huge, even if it means "giving up an out". If you sit back and wait for that big hit, you might wait too long.

Statistics have shown that you stand a better chance of getting a guy home from first with no outs than from second with one out. Rather than bunt, I'd prefer hit and run, which might make the guy at the plate think about a line drive instead of a homerun...

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2003, 12:18 PM

There is no clock in baseball. The game keeps going as long as there are more outs left to be committed. Trading an out for a runner in scoring position rarely makes sense--especially if you're the trailing team--because you're effectively shortening the game.

If a weak hitter is at the plate, like the pitcher in an N.L. park, it can make some sense. For everyone else it is generally a strategy for losing the game.

jeremyb1
09-17-2003, 04:58 PM

I for one agree. I think Manuel pitched terribly last night.