PDA

View Full Version : Who's a gamer? And who isn't?

LASOXFAN
09-17-2003, 01:46 AM
Put Carl, Robbie, Carlos and Mags down for me.

Valentin? The so-called heart of the team? My happy ass. And you can stick Konerko right up there with him. Both of them go o'for in the biggest game of the year. Nice. Nice job fellas. I would stick Daubach and Graf in for the rest of the series, regardless of who's pitching.

And as for the future, aka Olivo, he should've been getting at bats in AAA all year. So what if he's got a rocket arm? He's death at the plate. DEATH. I honestly believe there are pitchers in the national league who can bat better than this guy. I'm serious.

34 Inch Stick
09-17-2003, 08:19 AM
We all know in a perfect world Olivo would have spent the year at AAA to prove he could hit. I have an incredibly difficult time blaming him for on the job training. As with Crede, if he is on the team you put him in the lineup as much as possible and just let him play.

DonkeyKongerko
09-17-2003, 08:53 AM
How many 1st or 2nd pitch outs did Maggs make last night? I am seriously worried about his pitch selection lately. As a cleanup hitter you aren't gonna get many good pitches to hit in an at-bat and it almost definitely won't be the first pitch you see with runners in scoring position. He is still the best hitter on this team, but I expect more from Maggs.

34 Inch Stick
09-17-2003, 09:24 AM
The biggest gamer on this team both is Bartolo.

Jerko
09-17-2003, 09:37 AM
Jerry Manuel. Oops - sorry, thought you said "blamer".

Gumshoe
09-17-2003, 10:14 AM
YOU guys believe that it's over TOO??? Haha, it's far from over.

Also, you think guys are or aren't gamers because of one night?
maggs came up twice and didn't come up big. FRank did the same thing.

Just watch, we'll be fine. Otherwise, stop watching, if it's "OVER"

LASOXFAN
09-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
YOU guys believe that it's over TOO??? Haha, it's far from over.

Also, you think guys are or aren't gamers because of one night?
maggs came up twice and didn't come up big. FRank did the same thing.

Just watch, we'll be fine. Otherwise, stop watching, if it's "OVER"

WHO SAID IT'S OVER? Read the thread.

Rocky Soprano
09-17-2003, 11:50 AM
I hate to see some of your guys swinging on the first pitch and all they do is pop up and end what could of been a productive inning.

As far as who is the biggest gamer on the team, I would have to say:

Colon is #1 hands down

Foulke You
09-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Put Carl, Robbie, Carlos and Mags down for me.

Valentin? The so-called heart of the team? My happy ass. And you can stick Konerko right up there with him. Both of them go o'for in the biggest game of the year. Nice. Nice job fellas. I would stick Daubach and Graf in for the rest of the series, regardless of who's pitching.

And as for the future, aka Olivo, he should've been getting at bats in AAA all year. So what if he's got a rocket arm? He's death at the plate. DEATH. I honestly believe there are pitchers in the national league who can bat better than this guy. I'm serious.

Ok, so if Jose Valentin jacks a 3 run bomb tonight and Robbie goes 0 for 4 does that mean that Robbie isn't a gamer and Valentin is?

Trust me, I was just as frustrated as you watching last night's performance but I'm not going to point fingers. Jose and Konerko did nothing last night but then again, when you score only two runs and strand 7 runners it was a total team effort. Frank's DP and Maggs popout in the 1st inning were huge and set the tone for the game. I'm not going to accuse Frank or Maggs of not being gamers either. Frank has the second most homers in the AL that have tied or put his team in the lead at 19 HRs.

The best thing for the Sox and their fans to do is to forget last night and go out there tonight and smoke them out of the dome.

shane
09-17-2003, 12:45 PM
I would say that in order to make it to the MLB, you have to be a gamer. I think Valentin just tries too hard, but that's probably got a bit to do with his being a gamer. I wouldn't mind at all if he's not back next year, but I'm not going to say he isn't a gamer inside. Also, I'm sure Paulie wants to win as badly as anyone. He has physical attributes that hamper him, but he's still a gamer. It's the managers job to put the right people on the field and in the box. All of them are gamers.

As for the rest of the season, they need to relax and play ball the way all of us know they can. That's the key at this point. We don't need pitchers overthrowing or batters trying to be heroes with the long ball in the first and second innings because they are out there thinking about the must win situation.

Jurr
09-17-2003, 12:49 PM
The best players still fail 70 percent of the time. Doesn't mean they aren't gamers.

THE_HOOTER
09-17-2003, 12:59 PM
We will find out tonight if Garland is a gamer-I think he is.

Same linep tonight except for olivo.