PDA

View Full Version : Some positives on Tuesday's loss vs. the Twins

bc2k
09-16-2003, 11:23 PM

MarkEdward
09-16-2003, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Positives:

Um... ah... Blackhawks play their first pre-season game on Friday!

Also, Scott Schoeneweiss didn't stink up the joint...

luvsox56
09-16-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
Astros are winning 14-4 in top of 9th !?!

LASOXFAN
09-17-2003, 02:59 AM
I like this thread, very funny. But in truth, I've had a few hours to digest the loss and you have to admit one thing: the Sox were in this game, at least on the scoreboard, for most of the game. They lost by three runs and had the tying run at the plate in the 5th or 6th.

The pitching kept it from becoming a laugher. In fact, it's been so long that the Sox were the victims of a laugher that I can't recall. They had men on base with a chance to drive in runs and they just didn't do it. This seems to happen consistently with one Paul Konerko. Has all year. Something to think about. But since I'm being positive I would point out that there are a few guys on this team who clearly don't like to lose (Robbie, Mags, CLee). In the search for positives, I would identify these players and sign them to play again next year. I would find a way to lose the others (Konerko, Valentin, Thomas. Yes, Frank Thomas. Sayanara. Nice flyout with two out and two on).

PaleHoseGeorge
09-17-2003, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
I like this thread, very funny. But in truth, I've had a few hours to digest the loss and you have to admit one thing: the Sox were in this game, at least on the scoreboard, for most of the game. They lost by three runs and had the tying run at the plate in the 5th or 6th.

The pitching kept it from becoming a laugher. In fact, it's been so long that the Sox were the victims of a laugher that I can't recall. They had men on base with a chance to drive in runs and they just didn't do it. This seems to happen consistently with one Paul Konerko. Has all year. Something to think about. But since I'm being positive I would point out that there are a few guys on this team who clearly don't like to lose (Robbie, Mags, CLee). In the search for positives, I would identify these players and sign them to play again next year. I would find a way to lose the others (Konerko, Valentin, Thomas. Yes, Frank Thomas. Sayanara. Nice flyout with two out and two on).

Wow. Jose Valentin and Frank Thomas are counted out from the group of players who "clearly don't like to lose." Very insightful post...

hold2dibber
09-17-2003, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN

Frank doesn't mind losing because he didn't come up with a clutch hit? Uhhh, not sure I agree with your police work there, Lou.

Hangar18
09-17-2003, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by luvsox56
Astros are winning 14-4 in top of 9th !?!

Heh heh. Good One. The nite wasnt a total loss, at least
Houston stepped up

CHISOXFAN13
09-17-2003, 11:30 AM
The night was a total loss. We fell 1.5 games behind Minnesota.

It's time to stop worrying so damn much about the Cubs and Houston.

chosk8
09-17-2003, 11:49 AM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
The night was a total loss. We fell 1.5 games behind Minnesota.

Agreed. Now at best, if we win the next 2, we are ahead by only a game. I think some Sox fans get too wrapped up with what the cubs are doing instead of focusing on our goals. The street vendors outside the Cell have the hottest selling shirts for Sox fans, and what are they? Anti-cubs shirts; "Cork", "Cubs Suck", "Cubs magic number: 911", etc. How about supporting our team? Wear a Sox shirt. The thing that kills me is that you see plenty of people wearing these "Cubs Suck" shirts at the game, when we are not playing the cubs! I know I am preaching to the choir to most on the board. Believe me, I hate the cubs as much as the next guy, but I do not find solace in the fact that we just lost and fell 1 games behind the Twins, but the Astros won.

Focus on rooting for our team, not rooting against theirs.

SoxxoS
09-17-2003, 12:23 PM
Plain and simple, that double play that Frank hit in the first was a killer.

CubKiller
09-17-2003, 12:46 PM

I think if the chips are down and someone jokes that at least the Cubs lost/Houston won, etc., so what?

It does matter what happens with HOU/Cubs, especially when you live around here. Potentially, life could get extremely miserable around here for the next several months or more.

I'm NOT saying we need more HOU/Cubs threads/posts here. But if there's a casual mention of what's going on in the NL Central, there's no need to get riled up about it.

You're probably just edgy cause of the big loss at MINN. I guess I can't blame you for that.

Procol Harum
09-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS

Followed, of course, by Maggs' line-out to the shortstop. If Frank wouldn't have hit into a double-play, you know Ordonez would have "taken up the slack" and come up with a twofer. I don't know how it is, but I swear there are times when you just KNOW when the Sox are gonna spit the bit. Last evening in the first inning was a major case thereof. Maybe it's just because we've seen the same thing for 80+ years.

CHISOXFAN13
09-17-2003, 01:04 PM
You hit it on the head killer.

I don't want the Cubs to win believe me. But the concern right now is how the Soxc are letting this slip away. I don't think a thread talking about the Cubs is neccesary.

I think we have enough to moan and groan about right now. Some of us just seem more concerned about how the Cobs/Astros do. That makes no sense.

kempsted
09-17-2003, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by SoxxoS
It hurt no doubt. What is ironic about it for you guys who think we should play more small ball is that he did it because he went the opposite way trying to move them over. Had he been swinging for the fences it would not have happened.

luvsox56
09-17-2003, 04:01 PM
You hit it on the head killer.

I don't want the Cubs to win believe me. But the concern right now is how the Soxc are letting this slip away. I don't think a thread talking about the Cubs is neccesary.

I think we have enough to moan and groan about right now. Some of us just seem more concerned about how the Cobs/Astros do. That makes no sense.

It was a JOKE!!!!!!!! I think you were reading too much into it.

alohafri
09-17-2003, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by CubKiller
I think if the chips are down and someone jokes that at least the Cubs lost/Houston won, etc., so what?

It does matter what happens with HOU/Cubs, especially when you live around here. Potentially, life could get extremely miserable around here for the next several months or more.

I'm NOT saying we need more HOU/Cubs threads/posts here. But if there's a casual mention of what's going on in the NL Central, there's no need to get riled up about it.

You're probably just edgy cause of the big loss at MINN. I guess I can't blame you for that.

Unfortunately, it matters a great deal to me what is happening on the other side of town. My boss is a scrub fan, and his playoff tickets will be delivered to our office. If I have to see those &!*% tickets with scrubs printed on them, I think I will puke. I'm the one who will be in charge of distributing them. It will be extremely painful to come to work in October. :(:

--Mrs. Aloha

CubKiller
09-17-2003, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by alohafri
...If I have to see those &!*% tickets with scrubs printed on them, I think I will puke...

Might as well puke right on the tickets...GO ASTROS...!