PDA

View Full Version : Is Loaiza worn out?


Unregistered
09-16-2003, 11:23 PM
Lip mentioned last week that Loaiza said his arm was "tired". A lot of people seem to think that he just couldn't handle such a crucial game, but I'm wondering why Loaiza gave up 4+ runs in his last 3 starts (including the 5-runs he gave up in the win against the Indians). Maybe he's just running out of gas(?)

SouthBendSox
09-16-2003, 11:24 PM
fire manuel

Dadawg_77
09-16-2003, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Lip mentioned last week that Loaiza said his arm was "tired". A lot of people seem to think that he just couldn't handle such a crucial game, but I'm wondering why Loaiza gave up 4+ runs in his last 3 starts (including the 5-runs he gave up in the win against the Indians). Maybe he's just running out of gas(?)

He might be, he is hitting a career high innings. But being under the weather certainly doesn't help

kempsted
09-16-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered
Lip mentioned last week that Loaiza said his arm was "tired". A lot of people seem to think that he just couldn't handle such a crucial game, but I'm wondering why Loaiza gave up 4+ runs in his last 3 starts (including the 5-runs he gave up in the win against the Indians). Maybe he's just running out of gas(?)
This is a good question - but they said he had the flu today - and his last outing only had a bad inning. Hard to say.

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2003, 11:29 PM
Loaiza tonight was awful, missing the strike zone consistently. The previous 2 games, he was just getting smacked around a bit in one particular inning, which I could chalk up to just the odds catching up with him.

I'm doubting this whole "flu" excuse, or Don Cooper tinkering with his delivery. He was missing the strike zone by a foot or two consistently; I think he just choked.

Dadawg_77
09-16-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by cheeses_h_rice
Loaiza tonight was awful, missing the strike zone consistently. The previous 2 games, he was just getting smacked around a bit in one particular inning, which I could chalk up to just the odds catching up with him.

I'm doubting this whole "flu" excuse, or Don Cooper tinkering with his delivery. He was missing the strike zone by a foot or two consistently; I think he just choked.

E Lo may have felt weak thus was reaching back to much and over throwing to compensate for having the flu.

Jerko
09-16-2003, 11:41 PM
Funny how everyone on this staff knows every little twinge Colon has every 8th inning shutout he gets pulled from, but nobody knew except Ed Farmer that Loaiza had the flu. Who knows anymore.

kempsted
09-17-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Jerko
Funny how everyone on this staff knows every little twinge Colon has every 8th inning shutout he gets pulled from, but nobody knew except Ed Farmer that Loaiza had the flu. Who knows anymore.
I know what you mean. Bruce Levine in the post game indicated everyone knew he was sick and new YESTERDAY. He of course was not going to pull himself out of the game - so it would take leadership and we have none...

But we would have lost no matter who pitched tonight most likely. We have to score more than 2 runs and it seemed we had two guys on almost every inning and hardly ever scored.

34 Inch Stick
09-17-2003, 09:12 AM
And we rested Buhrle an extra day when he was feeling tired but chose not to do the same with Loiza even though Garland has pitched well against the Twins and the rest of the league recently. I cannot figure out the logic but I will not discuss firing anyone until the season is over.

MHOUSE
09-17-2003, 11:04 AM
I am wondering if he will get over the 20 game hump. He hasn't looked good the last two times out. If he was sick then why waste a 2 inning start. If you're gonna yank him so early might as well pitch Garland with the off day. Let E-Lo get 100%. Bad management by Manuel again. I'm thinking 19-10 guys for Loaiza. No Cy Young.

mandmandm
09-17-2003, 11:09 AM
I read somewhere that a couple days before yesterday's start Loaiza said he had discovered and corrected an error in his delivery that was causing him some problems.