PDA

View Full Version : It's gonna be a long 24 hours...

mike squires
09-16-2003, 10:11 PM
It's gonna seem like an eternity for tomorrows game. My plan is to wake up early and go for a run and then keep myself as busy as possible trying to keep my mind distracted from tonights game. Believe it or not tomorrows game will be even bigger for us than tonights. try and get some sleep ya all... :(:

LASOXFAN
09-17-2003, 02:03 AM
Konerko and Valentin are staying in their rooms tonight knitting socks to match Frank's skirt. Not a bad way to kill the time.

hold2dibber
09-17-2003, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Konerko and Valentin are staying in their rooms tonight knitting socks to match Frank's skirt. Not a bad way to kill the time.

Why do you have such a hard on for PK and Valentin? This is baseball - guys have off nights. Why don't you at least wait until the end of the series to judge their performance. Last night, Corey Koskie went 0-for-3 with 4 LOB; is he at home knitting a skirt too? Jason Varitek went 0-4 with 3 LOB for the Red Sox who are in a tight race for the wild card last night; I guess he's got no stones either. Give me a break.

maurice
09-17-2003, 10:51 AM
Originally posted by hold2dibber
Why do you have such a hard on for PK and Valentin? This is baseball - guys have off nights.

Well, it's more than an off night. PK has exactly one hit and zero RBI since 9/7, and sucked the entire first half. I don't think it's an exagerration to say that he's one of the top two or three reasons the Sox haven't run away with the division. Valentin has been hitting in the .230-range all season, and only one AL SS has more errors. The shot at Frank bothered me more. He has been consistently productive all season and had two RBI the game before last. THAT's an example of a player who just had an "off night."

I think it's right to call out the offense. The pitching has been great all season . . . certainly a lot better than many here expected. It's time for the fellas with the bats to step it up another notch for the stretch run. Go kick the creamy filling out of those Twinkies!

Lip Man 1
09-17-2003, 10:55 AM
Koskie will get a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs...

Varitek will get a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs...

The only way Konerko and Valentin will get a chance to redeem themselves will be when they play a baseball video game come October.

Lip

hold2dibber
09-17-2003, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
Koskie will get a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs...

Varitek will get a chance to redeem himself in the playoffs...

The only way Konerko and Valentin will get a chance to redeem themselves will be when they play a baseball video game come October.

Lip

Well, you're missing my point (and frankly, I don't know what your point is), but it seems to me that LASOXFAN, both in this thread and in others, has called out PK and Valentin based entirely upon their performances last night. And that strikes me as absurd. One night does not make a season. with that said, as Maurice rightly points out, PK's struggles in the 1st half are one of the primary reasons (along with Crede's 1st half and Koch's utter failure) that the Sox are where they are today - 1 1/2 games out of 1st instead of leading by 3 or 4. However, Valentin is giving about what he always gives at the plate - low average and OBP, lots of HRs. And his defense has been much better than expected.

Gumshoe
09-17-2003, 01:20 PM
Well, you're missing my point (and frankly, I don't know what your point is), but it seems to me that LASOXFAN, both in this thread and in others, has called out PK and Valentin based entirely upon their performances last night. And that strikes me as absurd. One night does not make a season. with that said, as Maurice rightly points out, PK's struggles in the 1st half are one of the primary reasons (along with Crede's 1st half and Koch's utter failure) that the Sox are where they are today - 1 1/2 games out of 1st instead of leading by 3 or 4. However, Valentin is giving about what he always gives at the plate - low average and OBP, lots of HRs. And his defense has been much better than expected.

Dibber's got it right on. PK could have been better, perhaps if JM didn't mess with him, but who knows. Hey, just win baby, just win. We've got 12 more times to do that...

Gumshoe

hold2dibber
09-17-2003, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
Dibber's got it right on. PK could have been better, perhaps if JM didn't mess with him, but who knows. Hey, just win baby, just win. We've got 12 more times to do that...

Gumshoe

I'm with you, Gumshoe. Would I rather be in the Twins position now than the Sox? Sure. But there are 12 games to play and anything can happen. It's not like the Sox are 4 games out. They're 1.5 out with 12 to go, including 2 against the Twins. They're still in the middle of this thing; winning tonight would be a huge step in the right direction.

gosox41
09-17-2003, 02:47 PM

I'll be more then happy to call out PK on his performance all season. He has stunk up the joint big time. Probably one of the biggest disappointments in baseball. As I said last November, he shouldn't have been signed to an extension, he should have been traded. He's proving to be a player who shows up for one half of a season. He's definitely not good in the field, he can't run, and he hits into too many DP's. He's essentially been worthless to the Sox the whole season.

Bob