PDA

View Full Version : Quote Of The Day 9/16

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 01:20 PM
"If things don't work out for us, there will be a lot of guys sitting back in here thinking about how many games we gave away at the start of the year," --Jose Valentin to the Daily Southtown.

But remember it was more important to play EVERYBODY in the first half ! (LOL)

Lip

JRIG
09-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
"If things don't work out for us, there will be a lot of guys sitting back in here thinking about how many games we gave away at the start of the year," --Jose Valentin to the Daily Southtown.

But remember it was more important to play EVERYBODY in the first half ! (LOL)

Lip

Yeah, I still remember the quote from Manuel when he started to play a regular lineup. Something along the lines of, "It's time to turn it on and put our best guys out there every day." As if those first 95 games weren't important.

ChiSoxBobette
09-16-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by JRIG
Yeah, I still remember the quote from Manuel when he started to play a regular lineup. Something along the lines of, "It's time to turn it on and put our best guys out there every day." As if those first 95 games weren't important.

Jose's statement has to be pointing towards Jerry manuel. At the begining of every year and right up until the All-Star break Manuel uses every game as if its an experiment, then after the All-Star break he's making comments about how he'll have to put his best team out there and everyone will have to preform. If we lose this things I think it comes down on his head.

Go White Sox

Gumshoe
09-16-2003, 02:52 PM
Just get in the playoffs, and just win baby. The Sox will end up doing both, my friends.

Again, Lip

BOOK IT

Gumshoe

CHISOXFAN13
09-16-2003, 02:53 PM
IMO, it doesn't have anything to do with Manuel.

We were shutout 1-0 not once, but twice against Detroit.

I think his commment has a lot more to do with pathetic effforts like that one.

Thunderstruck30
09-16-2003, 04:51 PM
Some blame should be placed on Manuel, but most of it on crappy offense.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by CHISOXFAN13
IMO, it doesn't have anything to do with Manuel.

We were shutout 1-0 not once, but twice against Detroit.

I think his commment has a lot more to do with pathetic effforts like that one.

It doesn't seem like the ballclub is putting out for him any more, does it? I mean clearly we're a superior ballclub to Detroit. EVERYBODY is clearly superior to that outfit. What is the obvious lesson from this?

Sorry, but we're a long way away from those glorious days of April and June, 2000 when it seemed Jerry's players would have charged through a cheesecloth taking the field. They were so gung-ho to take on the American League--especially during that brutal stretch of games from mid-May through late-June. Times have certainly changed... we can't even beat Detroit...

For more reasons than I care to recount here, Manuel pissed it all away. Obviously he is easier to replace than 25 ballplayers. Furthermore, those 25 ballplayers already constitute the greatest amount of talent in the entire division. What does Manuel need before he will lead them to a championship, the '27 Yankees?

adsit
09-16-2003, 05:35 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
What does Manuel need before he will lead them to a championship, the '27 Yankees?

If JM had the '27 Yanks, Maris wouldn't be playing at first, Julie Wera would be the "third baseman of the future," Ben Paschal would be a late-inning "defensive replacement," Gehrig would have hit in six different spots on the batting order, Waite Hoyt would have been held to a pitch count, and the A's would have won the pennant.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D:

idseer
09-16-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by adsit
If JM had the '27 Yanks, Maris wouldn't be playing at first, Julie Wera would be the "third baseman of the future," Ben Paschal would be a late-inning "defensive replacement," Gehrig would have hit in six different spots on the batting order, Waite Hoyt would have been held to a pitch count, and the A's would have won the pennant.

Sorry, couldn't resist :D:

huh?

well, i'll agree with one point there. maris wouldn't be at first.

adsit
09-16-2003, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by idseer
huh?

well, i'll agree with one point there. maris wouldn't be at first.

Nope, you're right, he wouldn't. Guess I reached too far... :D: