PDA

View Full Version : Couch Column Sox / Cubs

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 01:13 PM
For those of you who may have missed it, Greg Couch has a tremendous column in today's Sun Times.

Cough asks eight famous Chicago "celebrities" if the Sox played the Cubs in the World Series, who would win and why.

Six of the eight say the Sox.

The comments are great some should be used by PHG on the Sox O Gram header, they are that funny, especially from Studs Terkle and George Wendt (Norm from Cheers.)

The others asked are Jimmy Piersall, Walter Jacobson, Mary Francis Veeck, "Goose" Gossage and two others that I can't remember.

Anyway it's really good and recommended reading.

Lip

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2003, 01:30 PM
http://www.suntimes.com/output/couch/cst-spt-greg16.html

Have to love old Studs Terkel's words:

Half the Cub fans don't have the faintest idea what baseball is all about. Some are tourists, some are yuppies. Not that Sox fans are that much brighter, but there's a touch of hate there for the opposition. And somehow that finds its way onto the field.

Needless to say, Wally Jacobson thinks the Flubs would win:

"If the two get in, which I seriously doubt, I think the Cubs will win for only one reason: That's because I've been a Cub fan for 55 years,'' Jacobson said. "They've got the pitching but not the hitting, which I can't figure out. But even us really old Cub fans are pulling for the Sox as well.''

And Goose Gossage of all people is the other celeb to pick the Flubs:

"But I'd have to go with the Cubs. The Sox have got some great offense, but the Cubs do more of the little things, and that really shows up in big games. But if they both get there, it would be almost too much to take.''

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Link?