PDA

View Full Version : Nice Carlos Lee Article in the Cub-Times

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 11:28 AM
Today. for what its worth, they Cub-Times has been doing a good job making sure the last few days the SOX get a Color Picture, and also, the Front Page like the Cubs have been getting the last month or so. Might not be enough for the Sox to catch up (as far as Front Pg pics, but i'll take it) Carlos has stepped up big time in the 2nd half, congrats to him. But a Dark Cloud on the horizon was raised by the article. After 2004, the Sox supposedly will have to decide whether to keep Maggs or Caballo. Conventional thought says, KEEP THEM BOTH. WHY NOT. WE SCOUTED THEM, AND RAISED THEM. WHY just let some other team just swoop in and plug him in when hes our guy? I thought about the cub situation and realized my god, they dont have ANY outfielders in their system (despite the bragging about how good the farm is) Because the CUbs LOVE anything related to the White SOX, they will sign Caballo. what A Nightmare that will be

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2003, 11:36 AM
If either Carlos or Maggs leave via FA, I would really be disappointed and extremely pissed!

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 11:42 AM
what the sox dont realize is.....Not only did the scout these guys, and bring them up thru the system, theyve also done a TON OF MARKETING (or mismarketing) by having Hawk come up with their nicknames. Everyone across the USA knows their nicknames, and it is synonymous with the White SOx. they couldve Done a Better JOB with it personally (why is a retired player/announcer getting more commercial airplay than a CURRENT 3 time allstar...IN THE SAME CITY??) Any team that gets them thru FA will already have the "star quality" and marketing BUILT IN. HOW STUPID CAN The sox be, to just let them go and having helped another team instantly like that?

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2003, 11:46 AM
Is there any REAL reasons to believe that the Sox would not resign Maggs and CLee to long term contracts?

Would Maggs and CLee even want to leave the Sox?

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Rocky Soprano
Is there any REAL reasons to believe that the Sox would not resign Maggs and CLee to long term contracts?

No real reason yet....but Ive been a fan for a quite some time, and im going on
1. Past Experience
2. This teams knack for doing the WRONG THING often.

I hope with KW, we've entered a New Era in sox history, one in which we do the RIGHT THING, and we GO FOR IT, and WE KEEP PLAYERS, and we Listen to the FANS. I see some of it happening now.....I hope we keep it up though

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2003, 11:53 AM
I agree, I really hope they start listening to the fans.

It seems that KW is a pretty good GM afterall and hopefully he can get these guys to stay for a LONG time.

I cant even imagine not having CLee or Maggs on the team! :whiner:

jabrch
09-16-2003, 11:56 AM

Would Maggs and CLee even want to leave the Sox?

Can we afford, given our economic reality, to spend 12mm each on two corner OFs? I'd like to say yes, but if we do that, that leaves, at most, 50MM for the rest of the team. In order to keep a nucleus of three winning SPs of the calibre of Buehrle, Colon and Loaiza, I'd expect the cost to be in the neighborhood of 25-30MM. That leaves only 20 - 25 MM for a CF, an entire IF, a bench and a bullpen.

Realistically, No, I don't think we can sign both Carlos and Mags to long term contracts if they are to average 12MM between them. Now if you tell me that Carlos will cost less than that (and I would expect that he would) then we may be able to do something. But remember, Frank and Paulie are about 8MM each. Somewhere you have to have an inexpensive player.

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2003, 11:59 AM
Our team needs to stop acting like we play in some small ass city and start spending like we play in CHICAGO!

Spend the money!

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 01:29 PM
Our team needs to stop acting like we play in some small ass city and start spending like we play in CHICAGO!

Spend the money!

Exactly. I ponied up $$$$$ when they got Colon for the year. Showed me they were willing to spend money, so I showed them I was willing to spend the money. The "snowball" so to speak is gaining size and speed coming down the mountain. Hopefully, the sox dont revert to Foolish thinking (hasnt worked for them before, why not try something different right?) and go backward again. Winning baseball is a state of mind. If the SOX behave like a Tier 1 Baseball team, we will perform like a Major League Franchise.

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2003, 01:32 PM
A few months ago, I would have traded Lee in a heartbeat.

Today, even after his great season, I am not really inclined to change this opinion. Shouldn't we consider selling "high" here?

Bobby Thigpen
09-16-2003, 01:56 PM
While I don't see either player taking a substantial undercut in their contract to stay with the Sox, I could see both of these players taking less to stay in Chicago. Both seem to enjoy playing for the Sox, and both of their personalities lend themselves to wanting to play for a competitive team that isn't perhaps as well publicized as it should be. I can't see either Maggs or El Caballo making in it New York. Neither are really public people and they seem to me to kind of enjoy playing in the shadows. I really don't see either of them leaving.

Here's a thought everyone will probably hate. How about after 2004 if Carlos has another monster year letting Frank go and keeping Carlos as the DH. By then hopefully Borchard or someone else will be ready for left and can kind of sub in Carlos' contract for Frank's. It will cost a little more, but not much. But then again maybe by 2004 Frank will want to retire with a World Series ring on his hand and make this a moot point.