PDA

View Full Version : Do we need a sweep vs the hated Twinkies to reach the Playoffs ?

South Sider
09-16-2003, 08:43 AM
I really think we have to sweep the Twinkies.

Then we would be up by 2,5 games.

I believe that the Twins will loose only 2 more games the rest of the way (1 vs the Tribe and 1 vs the AAA Tigers)

That would mean that the Sox can afford 4 losses for the remaining 10 games in order to be tied after the regular season.

Sox vs KC 2-1
Sox vs Yankees 2-1
Sox at KC 2-2

This scenario seems to be makeable..... and if we would win
3 of 4 in KC we would be Division Champs without a one game playoff.

That is the best scenario.

Now to the scenario that is most likely for the next 3 games

If we win just 2 of 3 vs Twinkies

we would be up 0,5 game

If the Twinkies go 7-2 the rest of the way
the Sox must win at least 7 of 10 games in order to be tied
and 8 of 10 in order to win the division without a one game playoff.

Sox vs KC 2-1
Sox vs NYY 2-1
Sox at KC 3-1

A very tough road....the most difficult is winning 3 of 4 at KC which is not that bad at all

Winning 8 of 10 games seems to be impossible for me.

That means if the Sox loose 2 of 3 in Twinkie-Town.......we could plan for the next year.

Do you hear me JM ???????

Lets go for the sweep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go SOX

FJA
09-16-2003, 08:49 AM
Yes, we need a sweep. Two out of three (which would put us a 1/2 game up) won't do us much good without help from the woeful Tigers and Jndjans. There is no reason to think the Tigers and Jndjans are going to help us out.

BeerHandle
09-16-2003, 09:34 AM
I think we need to win at least two (of course three would be good) against the Twinkies. I think that the Indians will get a split. The Twins are 7-6 against the Indians. I think if we win every series then we will be set up to tie or win the division!

Time to take down Twinkie the Cowboy!

Jerko
09-16-2003, 09:39 AM
If we're going to blame the Tigers and Indians for losing this division, if in fact the Sox do lose, it, don't blame them for not being able to beat Minnesota; blame them for beating us a combined 16 TIMES! We'd be in GREAT shape now if we could have lost like only 4 times to the worst team in the history of baseball. DAMN! There I go being negatibe again and saying "WE" and "US". Sorry

soxtalker
09-16-2003, 09:51 AM
I guess my question is whether the Sox can sweep or even win 2 of 3 up in Minnesota. Every thread seems to assume that we'll do that, but we've historically had trouble winning there. And the Twinkies are playing with a lot of confidence. If we come out of this 1-1/2 games back, it is over.

cheeses_h_rice
09-16-2003, 09:56 AM
2 out of 3 at the bare minimum, IMO. A sweep would greatly aid the Sox's cause, though.

Rocky Soprano
09-16-2003, 09:59 AM
We need to win the series, thats what the Sox need to shoot for. If they can sweep then at least it gives us a little bit of breathing room.

shane
09-16-2003, 10:18 AM
If someone's got time and the resources, a good thread to start would be the projected pitchers for the remainder of each team's games. I'll do it if someone can direct me to a site that projects pitchers out beyond 5 days.

Procol Harum
09-16-2003, 10:26 AM
Given the remaining schedules, the Sox need to win two out of three--minimum--to have a shot at winning this thing. While losing the series would not necessarily be fatal to a team (a lot stranger has happened in the last 10 games of a season), it's hard to imagine the Sox overcoming that kind of setback and the weight of 86+ years of history.

I think the Sox have amply demonstrated over the last few campaigns that they aren't the most mentally tough team that's ever come down the pike; we can only hope that their recent success and the addition of the likes of Robbie Alomar, Everett, Loiaza and Colon have significantly changed the team's psychological make-up and that they're finally ready to come into their own. Here's hopin'......gonna be some tough games to watch, much less play in!!

daveeym
09-16-2003, 10:40 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=chw

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/teams/schedule?team=min

Since there are no offdays remaining for either teams you can figure it out from here.

PaleHoseGeorge
09-16-2003, 10:41 AM
As long as we're comfortable with letting someone else beat the Twins, we don't have to sweep them. All they have left to play besides our Sox is Detroit and Cleveland. I'm sure they're capable of winning 1-2 games, but beyond that...

So we're right back to where we were a month ago. Every game is big, and we need to play all of them as though the entire season depended on winning every day. I'm sure this is a novel concept to some people inside the Sox clubhouse.

This guy, for example ----------> :jerry

"In the first-half I try to play everyone. Winning becomes more important after that."

"I can't think of any reason short of an emergency for playing Frank back at first base."

"I think it's a bigger deal to him [Buehrle starting in NYC], than it is to us."

"Anyone who disagrees with me just doesn't understand baseball."

Sad
09-16-2003, 10:44 AM
TWINS got an off day Monday / 22
that's were the 1/2 game will be made up

GO SOX!

and GO BLUE!

Mammoo
09-16-2003, 12:18 PM
The WS must sweep to have a chance. There is no way one can assume the Twins will lose to the Tigers.

The Sox really put themselves behind the 8ball with their performance vs the Tigers and that 4 game split against the Twins. :(:

BTW...KUDOS ON THEIR PERFORMANCE IN BOSTON!!!! :smile:

A.T. Money
09-16-2003, 12:41 PM
They must sweep it. Anything less spells trouble.

I wouldn't feel all that great leaving Minnesota with a 1/2 game lead (assuming we take 2 of 3). If we lose this series, I'm afraid we're done.

Iwritecode
09-16-2003, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by shane
If someone's got time and the resources, a good thread to start would be the projected pitchers for the remainder of each team's games. I'll do it if someone can direct me to a site that projects pitchers out beyond 5 days.

Assuming JM is smart enough to go to a 4-man rotation, this is the way I see it:

16 Loaiza vs. Radke
17 Garland vs. Rogers
18 Colon vs. Loshe(sp?)
19 Burly vs. Gobble
20 Loaiza vs. Anderson
21 Garland vs. May
22 Colon vs. Mussina
23 Burly vs. Weaver
24 Loaiza vs. Contreras
25 Garland vs. Anderson
26 Colon vs. May
27 Burly vs. Abbot
28 Loaiza vs. Wright

fhqwhgads
09-16-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Iwritecode
18 Colon vs. Loshe(sp?)

Lohse
Mientkiewicz
Pierzynski

The Minnesota Twins: Learn to Spell 'Em. :D:

voodoochile
09-16-2003, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by fhqwhgads
Lohse
Mientkiewicz
Pierzynski

The Minnesota Twins: Learn to Spell 'Em. :D:

One more reason to be a Sox fan. All we have to do is learn how to pronounce Colon... :D:

Tragg
09-16-2003, 01:11 PM
We don't NEED a sweep, but anything less and i place us at less than 50/50 to make the playoffs.
We've blow chance after chance to separate ourselves (14 games against the lowly angels and rangers and we go 7-7; lose last 2 v. minny at home). NY is a better ballclub than minny and we play them 3 more times. Further, beating KC in KC will be murder, particularly if they are already out of it - they will get great pleasure at that point from a)being spolier and b)having a good shot at finishing 2nd if they finish us off.

So I say, I'm looking for a sweep.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 01:18 PM
Minimum two out of three...the Sox won't sweep Minnesota in that abortion they call a ballpark.

However I did read an interesting stat today that at first I thought was a misprint. The Twins are only 40-33 this year at the Metrodome.

That number could have been 38-35 if not for two miraculous wins after bizarre occurances.

Lip

pudge
09-16-2003, 01:24 PM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1

That number could have been 38-35 if not for two miraculous wins after bizarre occurances.

Lip

Man, those two bogus wins loom large right now, don't they??

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 01:30 PM
Let's face it, we've got Loiza and Colon going in these three games. If we can't win a minimum of 2 of 3 then the Twins deserve it. And I think Garland can win by virtue of us facing a weaker pitc her in Rogers.

It's time to put up or shut up.

soxtalker
09-16-2003, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by pudge
Man, those two bogus wins loom large right now, don't they??

Isn't that what championship seasons are made of? Unfortunately, I'm hard-pressed to remember any Sox finishes that could be termed miraculous. Maybe the one in which Konerko, still mired in his first-half slump, hit a HR to tie the game in extra innings.

kempsted
09-16-2003, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
If we're going to blame the Tigers and Indians for losing this division, if in fact the Sox do lose, it, don't blame them for not being able to beat Minnesota; blame them for beating us a combined 16 TIMES! We'd be in GREAT shape now if we could have lost like only 4 times to the worst team in the history of baseball. DAMN! There I go being negatibe again and saying "WE" and "US". Sorry
Would you stop it already with this stupid post. You keep reposting it everywhere as if you were saying something. Check the thread - No one is blaming the Tigers and Indians. No one is whining about them having it easier and saying it is unfair. The question is - Do we need to sweep the Twins - Answer - Yes because we have a harder schedule than them. What in this do you disagree with?!? It is a simple statement of fact. They DO have an easier schedule than us for the rest of the season. So stop it. We all know it is the Sox own fault.

CHISOXFAN13
09-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Not only did Konerko homer off Guardado of all people, Thomas followed in the next inning with a two-run shot off him to win it.

To me, that was a miraculous win.

But the Twins do have a lot more.

Dan H
09-16-2003, 02:41 PM
The White Sox have to sweep. They just can't afford to expect help from elsewhere. And a sweep isn't impossible. The Twins are playing well, but the Sox came close to sweeping the Yankees in New York. What's so special about the Twins and the Humprhey Dome? It can be done. It must be done. One loss, and the Sox will have to hope the Tigers learn how to play baseball real fast.

Jerko
09-16-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
Would you stop it already with this stupid post. You keep reposting it everywhere as if you were saying something. Check the thread - No one is blaming the Tigers and Indians. No one is whining about them having it easier and saying it is unfair. The question is - Do we need to sweep the Twins - Answer - Yes because we have a harder schedule than them. What in this do you disagree with?!? It is a simple statement of fact. They DO have an easier schedule than us for the rest of the season. So stop it. We all know it is the Sox own fault.

Would YOU stop it already with this post! AT least I worded mine differently "everywhere" I posted it. If you don't get the point that a lot of people ARE worrying about the schedules down the stretch then there's not much I can do about it. But since you repeat yourself, so will I. How can you say no one is whining about the Twins having it easier and then say in the very same post that the Sox need to sweep them this week because the Sox schedule is harder? Sorry I just don't see the difference there and yes, a lot of people on here are talking about nothing BUT the remaining schedules. Sorry if the fact that I said that shouldn't bother you bothered you.