PDA

View Full Version : After the Sox come to town...

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 01:36 AM
Realistically, how many will the Twins lose after the Sox leave town on Thursday?

They play...

Sep 19 vs Detroit
Sep 20 vs Detroit
Sep 21 vs Detroit
Sep 23 vs Cleveland
Sep 24 vs Cleveland
Sep 25 at Detroit
Sep 26 at Detroit
Sep 27 at Detroit
Sep 28 at Detroit

Hate to say it, but I can easily see them running the table. If not, losing two at most.

Perfect scenario, Sox sweep and come out 3.5 games up. That would probably send the Twins spinning a bit and lead them to lose 2 if not 3 of their remaining games.

Sox win 2 of 3, come out .5 game up and they have to find a way to lose no more than two more games the rest of the season to clinch.

Somebody - anybody - please give me a reason to be optimistic. It's not like the Royals are going to roll over and play dead for the Sox, hell, they're only 3 back in the loss column and believe they can win it all themselves.

Do the Sox really have another run in them like Jerry says?

A.T. Money
09-16-2003, 01:51 AM
Man, that schedule is a cake walk for them.

We need to sweep, big time.

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 02:08 AM
Originally posted by A.T. Money
Man, that schedule is a cake walk for them.

We need to sweep, big time.

And then keep on winning. A 3.5 game lead that could grow to 4? I'd say that puts us in the driver's seat.

Man, I hate to say it, but splitting with the twinkies really put us in a hole. That's when we needed the sweep. But if you're looking for any consolation, the twins haven't played that well in the dome this year, not like years past. I like Loiza and Colon's chances; once again Garland has to step up in a big game.

Twins8791
09-16-2003, 02:17 AM
Originally posted by LASOXFAN
Perfect scenario, Sox sweep and come out 3.5 games up.
That's more than perfect. You mean 2.5 games up.

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by Twins8791
That's more than perfect. You mean 2.5 games up.

I stand corrected. It's late and I'm desperate :smile:

StillMissOzzie
09-16-2003, 02:35 AM
I just hope that the Tigers can fight for pride so they don't break that record of futility set by the '62 (?) Mets...

COME ON TIGERS!!!

SMO
:gulp:

hose
09-16-2003, 07:18 AM
To save time I'll re-post this :D:

It's day to day for survival and going down to the wire....whew!!!

With the Twins having 7 games left with Detroit I am a bit concerned.

I can imagine how the German 6th Army felt with Italian/Romanian troops protecting their vulnerable left flank while anticipating a Russian counter-attack outside of Stalingrad.

Dan H
09-16-2003, 07:27 AM
Not only do the Twins have it easy, the Sox have three against the Yankees. Allowing a split at home definately hurt the Sox. What also hurt the Sox was a bad start which included losing to the Tigers, and actually dropping two out of three in Tampa.

If the Sox can pull this off, I think they will be a force in the playoffs. But they have to pull it off, first. We should all worry.

South Sider
09-16-2003, 08:36 AM
I relly think we have to sweep the Twinkies.

Then we would be up by 2,5 games.

I believe that the Twins will loose only 2 more games the rest of the way (1 vs the Tribe and 1 vs the AAA Tigers)

That would mean that the Sox can afford 4 losses for the remaining 10 games in order to be tied after the regular season.

Sox vs KC 2-1
Sox vs Yankees 2-1
Sox at KC 2-2

This scenario seems to be makeable..... and if we would win
3 of 4 in KC we would be Division Champs without a one game playoff.

That is the best scenario.

Now to the scenario that is most likely for the next 3 games

If we win just 2 of 3 vs Twinkies

we would be up 0,5 game

If the Twinkies go 7-2 the rest of the way
the Sox must win at least 7 of 10 games in order to be tied
and 8 of 10 in order to win the division without a one game playoff.

Sox vs KC 2-1
Sox vs NYY 2-1
Sox at KC 3-1

A very tough road....the most difficult is winning 3 of 4 at KC which is not that bad at all

Winning 8 of 10 games seems to be impossible for me.

That means if the Sox loose 2 of 3 in Twinkie-Town.......we could plan for the next year.

Do you hear me JM ???????

Lets go for the sweep !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go SOX

34 Inch Stick
09-16-2003, 09:39 AM
Here is hope. The yanks may have wrapped up the division before we play them and will be substituting B players in early.

Detroit has been playing for next year's roster spot all year. Therefore there should be no dropoff in intensity (if that really helps).

If we can kill of KC before that last series they may be in the same boat as the Yankees.

The Indians hate the Twins which insures intensity for those two games.

Jerko
09-16-2003, 10:17 AM
Guys I can't complain about the Twins schedule. They ALREADY played the Yankees 7 times and lost ALL 7, they ALREADY played the Royals 19 times, and they only played Det. 12 times and they are AHEAD of the Sox already with 7 less opportunities to play Detroit. IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT THE REMAINING SCHEDULE IS SOFT! Like I said elsewhere, if the Sox didn't lose a combined 16 GAMES to the worst team ever in the history of baseball and the Cleveland Triple A Indians, they would not have to worry about Minnesota right now. Let's pull a Steinbrenner here; maybe we should be more pissed off that the Twins played the Brewers 6 times and the Sox had to play the Cubs. I think Milwaukee even beat the Twins a few times so we can't even get mad about that. All the Sox have to do now is WIN. They can not control the fact that the Twins play bad teams the rest of the way. It's been posted here 100000000 times about the remaining schedule, we all know it, so let's quit complaining about it! If the Sox would have taken better care of business against Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa, Texas, and Anaheim, we would not even care right now. Oh those darn Twins and Royals had to play Texas! Well, neither of THOSE teams got SWEPT in Arlington to the best of my knowlegde. All we can do now is WIN, not WORRY!

ScottyTheSoxFan
09-16-2003, 10:53 AM
we all just have to pray detroit can pull off a couple vs. the twinks. they beat us alot this year, maybe they can play spoiler.

for better insurance though, we just better not lose.

kempsted
09-16-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
Guys I can't complain about the Twins schedule. They ALREADY played the Yankees 7 times and lost ALL 7, they ALREADY played the Royals 19 times, and they only played Det. 12 times and they are AHEAD of the Sox already with 7 less opportunities to play Detroit. IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT THE REMAINING SCHEDULE IS SOFT! Like I said elsewhere, if the Sox didn't lose a combined 16 GAMES to the worst team ever in the history of baseball and the Cleveland Triple A Indians, they would not have to worry about Minnesota right now. Let's pull a Steinbrenner here; maybe we should be more pissed off that the Twins played the Brewers 6 times and the Sox had to play the Cubs. I think Milwaukee even beat the Twins a few times so we can't even get mad about that. All the Sox have to do now is WIN. They can not control the fact that the Twins play bad teams the rest of the way. It's been posted here 100000000 times about the remaining schedule, we all know it, so let's quit complaining about it! If the Sox would have taken better care of business against Detroit, Cleveland, Tampa, Texas, and Anaheim, we would not even care right now. Oh those darn Twins and Royals had to play Texas! Well, neither of THOSE teams got SWEPT in Arlington to the best of my knowlegde. All we can do now is WIN, not WORRY!

Would you stop it already with this stupid post. You keep reposting it everywhere as if you were saying something. Check the thread - No one is blaming the Tigers and Indians. No one is whining about them having it easier and saying it is unfair. The question is - Do we need to sweep the Twins - Answer - Yes because we have a harder schedule than them. What in this do you disagree with?!? It is a simple statement of fact. They DO have an easier schedule than us for the rest of the season. So stop it. We all know its our own fault. What do you want people to talk about at this point.

Jerko
09-16-2003, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by kempsted
Would you stop it already with this stupid post. You keep reposting it everywhere as if you were saying something. Check the thread - No one is blaming the Tigers and Indians. No one is whining about them having it easier and saying it is unfair. The question is - Do we need to sweep the Twins - Answer - Yes because we have a harder schedule than them. What in this do you disagree with?!? It is a simple statement of fact. They DO have an easier schedule than us for the rest of the season. So stop it. We all know its our own fault. What do you want people to talk about at this point.

Look at what you just said. "Nobody is whining because the Twins have an easier schedule". Then the reason you think the Sox have to sweep the Twins this week is because "the Sox have a harder schedule". Uh, what's the difference? Maybe YOU should check the thread. I think I saw somebody say somewhere, Man that schedule is a cakewalk for them. Then we have to hear how Detroit is playing for next year and might suddenly rise up and conquer and how we hope and pray the Yankees clinch fast so they slack off when they play the Sox.

Oh well, without resorting to name calling, the point I was TRYING to make is that the Sox and Twins play the same schedule when all 162 games are said and done! The fact that their REMAINING schedule is easier than the Sox is something we can't use as an excuse if the Sox don't make it. We already had our chances againt those teams. Sheesh!

rmusacch
09-16-2003, 03:18 PM
Realistically, how many will the Twins lose after the Sox leave town on Thursday?

They play...

Sep 19 vs Detroit
Sep 20 vs Detroit
Sep 21 vs Detroit
Sep 23 vs Cleveland
Sep 24 vs Cleveland
Sep 25 at Detroit
Sep 26 at Detroit
Sep 27 at Detroit
Sep 28 at Detroit

Hate to say it, but I can easily see them running the table. If not, losing two at most.

Perfect scenario, Sox sweep and come out 3.5 games up. That would probably send the Twins spinning a bit and lead them to lose 2 if not 3 of their remaining games.

Sox win 2 of 3, come out .5 game up and they have to find a way to lose no more than two more games the rest of the season to clinch.

Somebody - anybody - please give me a reason to be optimistic. It's not like the Royals are going to roll over and play dead for the Sox, hell, they're only 3 back in the loss column and believe they can win it all themselves.

Do the Sox really have another run in them like Jerry says?

A sweep only puts us 2.5 games up.

voodoochile
09-16-2003, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by Jerko
They play

Sep 19 vs Detroit
Sep 20 vs Detroit
Sep 21 vs Detroit
Sep 23 vs Cleveland
Sep 24 vs Cleveland
Sep 25 at Detroit
Sep 26 at Detroit
Sep 27 at Detroit
Sep 28 at Detroit

To me that qualifies as whining about their schedule. Sorry.

No, that is pointing out the reality of the situation...

Now if someone tried to say that the Sox were getting screwed by the schedule, THAT would be whining. But, pointing out that the Twinkies have an easy schedule the rest of the way is one way of saying, the Sox need to play their best ball of the year these final two weeks...

Jerko
09-16-2003, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
No, that is pointing out the reality of the situation...

Now if someone tried to say that the Sox were getting screwed by the schedule, THAT would be whining. But, pointing out that the Twinkies have an easy schedule the rest of the way is one way of saying, the Sox need to play their best ball of the year these final two weeks...

Fair enough! But it does seem like whining because it's been talked about for about 3 weeks now. And I did say somewhere in the original post I got lambasted for that the Sox had to just win!

Realist
09-16-2003, 03:46 PM

I really can't feel too optomistic knowing that a good portion of our season is now in Detroit's hands.

Jurr
09-16-2003, 03:59 PM
Out of those last games the Twins play, they will lose 3 or 4. Bank on it.
3 or 4 will be the magic number for them to lose, especially if we win the series. Minnesota was played tough by Cleveland this past series, and Detroit's going to eke at least one or two games out, guaranteed. If the Twinks get smeared by the Sox this series, they will be even flatter, and could really tank.
If we lose the series in Minn, it's over. If we sweep, we're talking driver's seat.
You were right in predicting the Yankees dropoff. They will be on cruise control/stay healthy mode going into the playoffs. The Royals will be a tougher egg to crack, but very doable.

I think the Sox will bring the Cubs series- like intensity to the Twins series. Hopefully we win all three, but winning the series is MANDATORY.

oheeoh...magglio
09-16-2003, 04:09 PM
I look at it this way, if we sweep, we are up 2.5 with 10 games left. We play 7 vs kansas city and 3 against the yanks, i think it's realistic to say we could win 5 of 7 vs kansas city and 2 of 3 vs the yankees. That puts us at 90 wins, if we sweep minny, and i'm sticking to what i said about 2 weeks ago which is 90 will win this division...

maurice
09-16-2003, 04:19 PM
This Sox season is in the hands of the Sox, not Detroit and Cleveland. If the Sox win this series, they will be alone in 1st Place. All they have to do thereafter is match the Twins. They've proven that they can handle the Yankees, and KC is done.

Brian26
09-16-2003, 04:40 PM
God, is anyone else's stomach in a complete knot right now thinking about this?!

Jerko
09-16-2003, 04:42 PM
Yes it is. That's why I'm a little testy today. THIS IS IT!

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 04:56 PM
I haven't taken a dump in three days!

Jurr
09-16-2003, 04:59 PM
If you are finding yourselves dealing with "pre-biggest f'n series of all time" constipation, do what works for the mathematicians............................

...........work it out with a pencil......ahem.

Gumshoe
09-16-2003, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by maurice
This Sox season is in the hands of the Sox, not Detroit and Cleveland. If the Sox win this series, they will be alone in 1st Place. All they have to do thereafter is match the Twins. They've proven that they can handle the Yankees, and KC is done.

Maurice is right on with this statement. SoxOnTop, baby,

SOX ON TOP

when all is said and done

Gumshoe

Chisox353014
09-16-2003, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Jurr
If you are finding yourselves dealing with "pre-biggest f'n series of all time" constipation, do what works for the mathematicians............................

...........work it out with a pencil......ahem.

:o: