PDA

View Full Version : Sobering Rogers Column

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 10:39 PM
There is now a sobering column by Phil Rogers on the Tribune web site Monday night.

It lays out the scenario of why the White Sox have to win now and dismisses the opinion about how if they do, things will be set up for next season and beyond.

It gives all Sox fans real pause for thought. I recommend it highly.

Here is a small segment of the column:

"An executive with another major-league club was talking about the White Sox's situation last week. "I really feel for them," he said. "Kenny's (Williams) done a great job putting that roster together and there's no chance he can keep it together . Even if they win it all, they are going to have to lose some really good players. Their fans won't like it. It's a tough message to send after you win, a bad message."

Apparently Phil says that until Sox ownership loses their "small market" mentality, this franchise is doomed to mediocrity and will continue to lose market share in Chicago.

Lip

Win1ForMe
09-15-2003, 11:12 PM
Rogers writes one of these stupid columns at least once a month.

It's interesting to note that he pretty much contradicts his own points. I mean first he recites the news that Kenny has approached several players about signing extensions but then in the following paragraph proclaims there's no chance in keeping the team together. So would Kenny just be wasting his time knowing he has to slash payroll?

No "insider" prints more crap than Rogers.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2003, 11:43 PM
That's a very good point but how do you then account for the comments in the same column by other people in MLB who I assume, have more intimate knowledge of the Sox organizational and financial structure than any of us?

Lip

RichH55
09-16-2003, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by Lip Man 1
That's a very good point but how do you then account for the comments in the same column by other people in MLB who I assume, have more intimate knowledge of the Sox organizational and financial structure than any of us?

Lip

So when we lose Crazy Carl...then you are going to be shouting from the rooftops "I told you so?"

How about we wait until after the season for the sky is falling act?

Then of course I will tell you to wait until after the offseason to analysis the offseason, but babysteps

Last offseason you wrote off KW before day one as well...he still did some nice things

Unregistered
09-16-2003, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
So when we lose Crazy Carl...then you are going to be shouting from the rooftops "I told you so?"

How about we wait until after the season for the sky is falling act? I still contend that if the Sox win the World Series, Lip will still be writing his apocolyptic posts about how the Sox have still only won 1 World Series in the last 80 years, and how pathetic that is for such an old franchise, etc. etc... It's no secret around here that if he has nothing to be pessimistic about, he has nothing to write about. That being said, Lip still adds a lot to the boards, negative or not... :smile:

RichH55
09-16-2003, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by Unregistered
I still contend that if the Sox won the World

In my best Russian "Hello, I brought present for warming of house, instead I find you grappling with local oaf."

Welcome to the USA.....glad to have you here....please learn our language as soon as you can. Thank You

Unregistered
09-16-2003, 01:12 AM
In my best Russian "Hello, I brought present for warming of house, instead I find you grappling with local oaf."

Welcome to the USA.....glad to have you here....please learn our language as soon as you can. Thank You Sheesh, give a guy a break. Never hit the enter key by accident? Last I checked, I've managed to post 1000+ posts just fine with my 7th grade reading ability. :D:

RichH55
09-16-2003, 01:15 AM
Sheesh, give a guy a break. Never hit the enter key by accident? Last I checked, I've managed to post 1000+ posts just fine with my 7th grade reading ability. :D:

Ahh...I'm just breaking your balls a little...Its late over here.
Besides I have the high moral ground here....If there was an Olympics for grammar and spelling on message boards, I would win the bornze

Unregistered
09-16-2003, 01:27 AM
Ahh...I'm just breaking your balls a little...Its late over here.
Besides I have the high moral ground here....If there was an Olympics for grammar and spelling on message boards, I would win the bornze I say we fight this out with a winner-take-all spelling bee for at least another 10 posts until we get this thread permanantly moved to the PL. :D:

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 01:32 AM
Lip, Rogers loves taking a dig at Uncle Jerry. I see it as him challenging Reinsdorf to step up and stop treating this team like a small market team. Either way Phil wins.

captain54
09-16-2003, 02:56 AM
Even if the Sox don't win the division, Reinsdorf & Co. would be idiots to not bring back the team as it is constituted....

Even without a division title, it's still a win-win situation, as long as Jerry Manuel is launched, they bring back the team as it is and there's no question season ticket sales could increase....

If Manuel is still the manager in 2004 and the team is broken up, they have no one to blame but themselves when you see the Sox hovering around .500 or below all season and the fans not showing up...

Dan H
09-16-2003, 06:20 AM
Only time will show us fans what the true intentions of the Sox. But if they try to cheap their way through 2004, it will only show they don't have the resources to run a franchise. If that is the case, it will be time to sell, if they can find a buyer. But right now I hope everybody is focusing on the Twins. If there is no sweep, as hard as that is to do, the Sox will have a very hard time winning this division.

Hangar18
09-16-2003, 07:51 AM
THey better not think about breaking this team up, because of
"finances". that would be Dumb. they might as well move to Joliet, or Portland or DC. Watch how fast I DONT RENEW my season tickets if they pull this........

Kilroy
09-16-2003, 08:07 AM
I still contend that if the Sox win the World Series, Lip will still be writing his apocolyptic posts about how the Sox have still only won 1 World Series in the last 80 years, and how pathetic that is for such an old franchise, etc. etc... It's no secret around here that if he has nothing to be pessimistic about, he has nothing to write about. That being said, Lip still adds a lot to the boards, negative or not... :smile:

How true. And I also agree that Lip adds a lot around here. Interesting to read even if I don't agree w/much. Sox win series in 5, Lip will complain that they should have swept...

Kilroy
09-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by captain54
Even if the Sox don't win the division, Reinsdorf & Co. would be idiots to not bring back the team as it is constituted....

I think they need an upgrade at CF, even tho I'm really trying to like Everett. A 5th starter would be nice, and I don't need to see Billy Koch any time soon, either. Other than that, stand pat.

anewman35
09-16-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Hangar18
"finances". that would be Dumb. they might as well move to Joliet, or Portland or DC. Watch how fast I DONT RENEW my season tickets if they pull this........

Not resigning everybody is hardly the same as "breaking up the team". It's just a fact of life, nobody who has as many free agents as we do is going to resign them all, especially when the team has as many players due raises as we do. It sucks, yes, but weren't we assuming a lot of these players were rent-a-players when we traded for them? I know I was...

soxtalker
09-16-2003, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by anewman35
Not resigning everybody is hardly the same as "breaking up the team". It's just a fact of life, nobody who has as many free agents as we do is going to resign them all, especially when the team has as many players due raises as we do. It sucks, yes, but weren't we assuming a lot of these players were rent-a-players when we traded for them? I know I was...

I agree that it is a "fact of life". I'm not so sure that it is a terrible thing, however. It is not certain that these guys will play the same next year. What concerns me is that the other teams in the division have been stocking up on good young talent for a year or two.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2003, 12:32 PM
And as the Sox have discovered the hard way "stocking up on good young talent," (especially pitchers) doesn't always equate to wins does it?

And to my usual critics I repeat what PHG said last week in the message boards, if you don't like the articles, columns and opinions either:

1. Don't read them

2. Do something about it and write some material yourself.

Lip

Gumshoe
09-16-2003, 01:50 PM
focus around pitching, reinsdorf sells, start our best CF Rowand, who makes it look easy, unlike "knees" Everett

We win.

Honestly, if we win it all, I won't give a rat's ass what the heck the Chicago White Sox do for a long time. Clearly, I'll root for them to win again, but my Lord, even one championship would be unparalleled, and it would show the Cubs to be exactly what they are:

The biggest losers of all time

Gumshoe

LASOXFAN
09-16-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by Hangar18

easy there...I grew up in Joliet! :smile:

gosox41
09-16-2003, 04:44 PM
[i

Apparently Phil says that until Sox ownership loses their "small market" mentality, this franchise is doomed to mediocrity and will continue to lose market share in Chicago.

Lip [/B]

Or until Sox fans show up and begin supporting this team instead of using their myriad of pathetic excuses not to go to games.

A majority of this site are diehards, but there are some complainers out there. It's not just them, it's the other fair weather fans the Sox need to draw.

Bob

Daver
09-16-2003, 06:19 PM
Originally posted by Gumshoe
focus around pitching, reinsdorf sells, start our best CF Rowand, who makes it look easy

LMAO!